News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

I dunno if requests are taken, but can someone please please pleeeeeease patch Super Cycle?  :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Phantomz

UPDATE

Use this version as the last version will stop at level 3 I think it was due to only 64k

" Midnight Resistance8)

I've remapped the menu controls, but you can press joypad 1 button 1 to start game and use joypad 1 by default.

Backpack ( 2nd weapon ) remapped to Joypad 1 Button 2.

Pause game with console pause button, any button to unpause.

The game has a Infinite Lives trainer, but I've included a couple of poked versions that give you Invulnerability and Infinite Ammo.

Phantomz

Quote from: Skunkfish on 13:36, 05 May 17
Here is my first GX4000 cart conversion, Potsworth & Co. from Hi-Tec Software.

Press any button to proceed on the new loading screen.

On the menu:
Fire 1 starts the game.
Pause button / 'P' will redefine the controls (necessary if keyboard controls are required)

In game:
Joystick controls by defaults. Up = jump, Down = crouch, Left = left, Right = right. These can be redefined as described above (you may want to move jump to Fire 2)

Pause button / 'P' will pause the game - press Fire to unpause.

I've not had a chance to test on real hardware, please let me know if any issues.

@Skunkfish

Congrats on your first cart conversion.  8)

I've only had a quick look at it, I did notice the following issue...

" On the menu: Pause button / 'P' will redefine the controls (necessary if keyboard controls are required) "

This doesn't work, you need to change the following

3A F9 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CB 5F

to

3A F9 FF 00 00 00 00 00 CB 5F 28 5F 00 00 00 00 00

You might also want to change your new text as when you redefine the controls, you are left with, DOWN:  and LEFT: between
PRESS FIRE TO PLAY and GX4000 CONVERSION.

It's your conversion so I'll leave the changes for you, keep up the good work.  ;)

Phantomz

Here is another classic game, this one is.....

Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing  8)

The game is now Joypad only, you can play one or two players.

Press Joypad 1 Button 1 to pass title screen.

If you select a one player game, and a new boxer, use joypad 1 to enter / pass boxers name.

Joypad 1, UP = 1, LEFT = 2, RIGHT = 3, DOWN = 4, BUTTON 1 = ENTER, BUTTON 2 = DELETE.

For example, you could press comsole pause button for P, then joypad 1 up to get P1, then press joypad 1 button 1 to enter, button 2 if you make a mistake.

Pause the game with the Console Pause Button, unpause with any button.

xenon

Hello :)

Thanks as always for your conversions!

Do you know if 4Mhz https://www.4mhz.es/ games or games like Outlaws https://retrobytesproductions.blogspot.com.es/2016/11/outlaws-cpc.html can be converted? :)

Regards,

Salva

Shaun M. Neary

Has anyone considered writing some sort of tutorial on how to do this? Or do you need to really know your way around with an assembler? (to adjust the controls) If it could be broken down easily enough, I'd like to give this a go and contribute too.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Phantomz

Quote from: xenon on 15:35, 09 May 17
Hello :)

Thanks as always for your conversions!

Do you know if 4Mhz https://www.4mhz.es/ games or games like Outlaws https://retrobytesproductions.blogspot.com.es/2016/11/outlaws-cpc.html can be converted? :)

Regards,

Salva
I think the new 4mhz.es game needs 128k.

Outlaws can be converted as I play it on my GX4000  ;)

Outlaws has compression so couldn't map one button by default.   :doh:

I made it show....

1 SET YOUR
  CONTROLS

2 PLAY

I just need to set controls before I start which isn't a big deal, I would have made it default to joypad if it wasn't for the compression.

I tested that every level loads up ok by changing 3D to A7 @ 1E37 

If you use this to level skip in winape, change A7 back to 3D pretty much straight away or it will keep skipping levels.
   :laugh:

Who do I speak to about the game, is the programmer a member on here.

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:00, 09 May 17
Has anyone considered writing some sort of tutorial on how to do this? Or do you need to really know your way around with an assembler? (to adjust the controls) If it could be broken down easily enough, I'd like to give this a go and contribute too.

Hopefully one or two of the guys on here might be able to write up some sort of guide, I don't think it will be easy though, all the games are different, it's not like there is one easy approach.

You also come across problems like compression etc, where you can find what to change in winape, but then can't do the changes to the disk, this is why not every game can be done.

Phantomz

I've just done a new version of a game that's been in the need a fix section for ages.  ::)

The game is " Captain America Defies the Doom Tube  "

The problem was.....Need a fix ? The manual talks about grenade (SPACE on keyboard) but it doesn't seem to work.

Instead of working on the cpr from yurif , I started over from the disk.

I'm happy to say that the game is now fixed and can be added to the list.  8)

Instructions

I've made the game stop at the title screen, press any button to pass.
You can now use Joypad 1 Button 2 for Cybo Grenades ( The grenades are only effective if used at close range ).
Pause / Unpause with console pause button, whilst paused press Joypad 2 Button 1 to Quit.

Skunkfish

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:00, 09 May 17

There will be a guide in the second issue of Colour Personal Computing.

In fact... it's one of the reasons that issue 2 is running late!

I'm a complete novice with no experience of machine code or assembler, so if I can do it then ANYONE can!  :P
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Nich

Quote from: xenon on 15:35, 09 May 17

Most of 4Mhz's games require 128KB of memory, so they won't be playable on the GX4000 (which has only 64KB of memory).

Phantomz

Quote from: Skunkfish on 20:43, 09 May 17
There will be a guide in the second issue of Colour Personal Computing.

In fact... it's one of the reasons that issue 2 is running late!

I'm a complete novice with no experience of machine code or assembler, so if I can do it then ANYONE can!  :P

I'm glad that you find it easy   ;)

I'm looking forward to all your new carts.  ;D

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Nich on 20:57, 09 May 17
Most of 4Mhz's games require 128KB of memory, so they won't be playable on the GX4000 (which has only 64KB of memory).

So the only option is to kidnap 4Mhz and lock him in a room to create cart-native versions (as R/W memory requirements are likely still well below 64KB)...

dragon

I have a little conversation in retromadrid with one of the guys of 4mhz. He not know who i are.  So they are not very fan of cartridges conversions. He tell me he want buy one gx4000. But i tell her  retrocables not sell more.

Most people ignored the plus range as they not exist. And only want programm to the old range.

Im out now of make conversions. My pc have died, so i not know how many time i need to found the cause. And found a spare piece  of old tecnology from socket 478 era to repair it.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 00:34, 10 May 17
Im out now of make conversions. My pc have died, so i not know how many time i need to found the cause. And found a spare piece  of old tecnology from socket 478 era to repair it.

@dragon

Sorry to hear this.  :(

Hope you get your pc fixed soon.  ;)

Urusergi

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:43, 05 May 17
I dunno if requests are taken, but can someone please please pleeeeeease patch Super Cycle?  :D

Here your are! 8)
It's only 128Kb so won't work in gx4000

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Urusergi on 21:40, 11 May 17
Here your are! 8)

Thank you!  :D
Can I ask you a question? What does one need to do to fix the keyboard scan bug? I'm new to this, all I know it's related to &BDF4.

Urusergi

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:43, 11 May 17What does one need to do to fix the keyboard scan bug?
Basically, you must discover within the code these sentences:
LD BC,&F40E
OUT (C),C

and modify what comes next according to this link:
http://tj.gpa.free.fr/html/coding/cpcplus.htm
Sometimes it's complicated because you have to optimize the code to win two or four bytes to be able to insert this:
OUT (C),0
or
LD C,&00
OUT (C),C

and other times, like this, are easier because you have at the end of the subroutine:
LD BC,&F782
OUT (C),C
LD BC,&F600
OUT (C),C

so that you can cut and paste this:
LD BC,&F600
OUT (C),C

before this:
LD BC,&F792
OUT (C),C

and you don't need optimize in this case  :D
In any case you need to know something about assembler to discern between all the possibilities that can be given.

Shaun M. Neary

Awesome! Many thanks for the info.

Assembly is just basically something I'm gonna experiment with in the up and coming weeks. So I'm grabbing any info that will help, I'd love to be able to contribute conversions of my own.

For whatever reason though, that link to T&J's page won't open. Not sure if it's my ISP or an outdated link. Might try it on my mobile data and see if it helps.

Shaun M. Neary

It was my ISP not allowing me to load it. Got it now, this stuff is gold, thank you! =D

Phantomz

Quote from: Urusergi on 21:40, 11 May 17
Here your are! 8)

I think this version is 64k, it's the tape version without the music, maybe it could be fixed.  ;D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Phantomz on 00:05, 12 May 17
I think this version is 64k, it's the tape version without the music, maybe it could be fixed.  ;D

I got halfway through this. I bypassed the keyboard bug on the opening screen and was able to select the level.

Once it loaded though, it locked again. Code is a little different than the disk version. Fun to attempt it though. xD

Shaun M. Neary

OK, first effort so far... bad news is it's not quite GX4000 ready yet, but it is Plus ready for anyone interested.

Adidas Championship Tie Break.
Keyboard scanning bug fixed. Works off Joystick by default, only issue is the Xor crack needs keyboard input.

I've attached both the fixed dsk image and the cpr in case anyone knows how to map 1 and 2 to up or down.

Phantomz

@Shaun M. Neary

Adidas Championship Tie Break

The keyboard bug was already sorted on this game by Tom and Jerry, there is a disk available on cpc-power with an overscan title screen.  ;)

Anyway, I've made a new cpr from this disc.  :)

Instructions.

Press Joypad 1 UP to pass overscan title screen, Use Joypad 1 Button 1 and Button 2 for Trainer options.

I've remapped Q A O P SPACE to Joypad 2 so that the game can be played by two players, I've left the cursors and shift alone incase sone people want to play on the keyboard on a PLUS machine.  ;)
I've changed the on screen text to show, CONTROLS   JY2  KEY.

Pause the game with the Console Pause Button, unpause with Joypad/s Fire Button 1, whilst paused press console pause button to finish game.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Phantomz on 11:18, 12 May 17
@Shaun M. Neary

Adidas Championship Tie Break

The keyboard bug was already sorted on this game by Tom and Jerry, there is a disk available on cpc-power with an overscan title screen.  ;)

D'OH!

Phantomz

Here is another game I think a few people might like, it's.....

Fly Spy  ;D

Instructions
Press any key to pass the title screen with the keyboard and music.

Joypad 1 Button 2 for Mode, Console Pause Button to select.

Hold down Joypad 2 Button 2 and Press Joypad 2 Button 1 to Redefine the controls, handy if you want to change the Select Key from Console Pause Button to Joypad 2 Button 2.

The game uses teleport codes but these change every time you play the game, so I can't change these.

The codes are shown onscreen as you play the game, they are entered using the joypad so it's not a problem,
the same goes for entering your name on the high score table.

To try and help out, I've made it possible to get the codes.   ;)

Pause the game by changing mode to pause and pressing fire, " PAUSED " will be displayed, now keep pressing Joypad 2 Button 1, a sound should play and it will now show " CHEATING SWINE " the game is still paused, press Joypad 2 Button 1 again to unpause.

Now when you press Joypad 2 Button 1 it will display all the codes that you can use.  8)