News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 18:56, 23 April 20
Sorry but no, the first ones are just PNG respecting the CPC limitations.

As I said, The first one is the easiest to convert, just 4 colors in mode1. The second one is a little bit hard as it needs multi-mode, all in mode1 but using different colors in the line of the title. The last one is a nice try in 320x200 but to be used on CPC+, someone confirmed in this exercise must first converts it to 160x200 in 16 colors using the 4096 color palette of the CPC+

So now we need this nice guy to convert one of those three pictures to BAS on a DSK  8) , isn't it?

OK, well I'll upload the cpr with the original screen for now then, can always make another version later.  ;)

Phantomz

PSYCHO PIG UXB

The game is now Joypads only.

Joypad 1 UP to Select 1 Player Game
Joypad 1 Down to Select 2 Player Game
Joypad 1 Button 2 for Info Screens.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to Pause, Joypad 1 Button 1 to unpause (best to pause whilst not holding a bomb)  ;)
Whilst Paused, press Console Pause Button to Quit.

Press Joypad 1 or Joypad 2 Button 1 to continue, Button 2 is no.

THERE IS A NEW VERSION ON THE NEXT PAGE.

iXien

Okay, so not even a try to add one?

I just made another try during few hours to convert it in 16 colors 160x200 and there is already the one in 4 colors.

And what about hiscore table, you doesn't talk about it ? It needed keyboard to enter your name. And when you are game over, game asks you if you want to retry, needing to press a key. Patched too  8) ?
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Here are the two screens in SCR format. So just need a little basic program to load it and then load the game.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 21:57, 23 April 20
Okay, so not even a try to add one?

I just made another try during few hours to convert it in 16 colors 160x200 and there is already the one in 4 colors.

And what about hiscore table, you doesn't talk about it ? It needed keyboard to enter your name. And when you are game over, game asks you if you want to retry, needing to press a key. Patched too  8) ?

I've upload it now as not feeling very well and thought people might like to play the game as it was ready.

I will do another version when I feel better, don't worry.

I didn't mention the highscore table as you don't need a keyboard, the game uses joystick by default!

As for the game over asks you if you want to retry, needing to press a key.

I wrote down what to use " Press Joypad 1 or Joypad 2 Button 1 to continue, Button 2 is no. ", I've even changed the onscreen prompt.

iXien

Make confusion with another game for hiscore table, sorry.
Perfect, you seem to patched everything  8)
Hope you will be able to try soon to add a splashscreen (and maybe better patch the game to hide the old one that appears here during one second while loading with wrong colors).

Hope you'll be better soon, take care of your health  ;)

iXien

@Phantomz I'm working on a 16 color GX4000 screen in 160x200. Finally I managed to downgrade it and I think it might be nice  :P   So sorry if it was the case.

Just tell me when you want to implement it and I will give you the final result  8)  in SCR format (ideally to insert it between the cheat screen and the game itself, of course).

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Perhaps you could replace the gradient background with a raster colour change on the plus, for that third image.

iXien

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 13:30, 24 April 20
Perhaps you could replace the gradient background with a raster colour change on the plus, for that third image.
I had thought about it but I also have other gradients to insert so that it remains coherent, I will rather use a dithering gradient, my palette is already calibrated in 16 colors, it works well  ;)

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 22:25, 23 April 20
Hope you will be able to try soon to add a splashscreen (and maybe better patch the game to hide the old one that appears here during one second while loading with wrong colors).

I don't need to hide it, I can just remove it, I did the menu and added the screen myself, the reason it shows the wrong colours for a second is because it's loading a multiface 2 screen.

I'm not a programmer, I'm a fan of the Amstrad computer and have been since 1986 when I got my first cpc 464.

I try and do what I can, I'm happy to say that I've learnt how to patch games to change keys and add pokes and can even write basic menu's too as you can see.

When I first started all I could do was find a disk and use the nocart program, I'm happy to say I can do more than that now.  8)

Quote from: iXien on 08:09, 24 April 20@Phantomz I'm working on a 16 color GX4000 screen in 160x200. Finally I managed to downgrade it and I think it might be nice  :P   Just tell me when you want to implement it and I will give you the final result  8)   in SCR format (ideally to insert it between the cheat screen and the game itself, of course).

I'm glad you managed to downgrade your screen, like I said I'm not a programmer, so not sure how to write a program to show a scr screen, this is why I used a multiface 2 screen in the version I did.

iXien

You already done a fantastic job converting so many CPC games to the little GX-4000. Hope you hadn't been offended by some of my remarks, it was surely not my idea  ;)

Ok, now I got the splashcreen : 16 colors on 4096, 160x200 resolution, same as the game.

Now I think here is the right question: What do you think you need to be able to replace the old crap splashscreen with the new one using CPC+ color range?

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 19:32, 24 April 20
You already done a fantastic job converting so many CPC games to the little GX-4000. Hope you hadn't been offended by some of my remarks, it was surely not my idea  ;)

Ok, now I got the splashcreen : 16 colors on 4096, 160x200 resolution, same as the game.

Now I think here is the right question: What do you think you need to be able to replace the old crap splashscreen with the new one using CPC+ color range?

No, I'm not offended, just saying I'm doing the best I can.  ;)

I need a loader bas file for your new screen so that it loads up and displays until a button is pressed, then loads the game bin file, psycho.bin.

I can't write pokes, but I can patch pokes in, so normally have a second bin with the pokes added, so hopefully I can change the loader bas to edit the game bin name.

I've had scr's load up in the past, but the ink colours are wrong, this is why we need a loader.  ;)

iXien

Ok, no problem. I'm going to see what I can do.
Do you think you can insert this screen between cheat menu and the game itself? It would be strange to have the splashscreen, then pokes, then the game, isn't it?

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 21:05, 24 April 20
Ok, no problem. I'm going to see what I can do.
Do you think you can insert this screen between cheat menu and the game itself? It would be strange to have the splashscreen, then pokes, then the game, isn't it?

Shouldn't be a problem, it's how I've done the current version.  ;)

GOB

Quote from: iXien on 18:56, 23 April 20
The second one is a little bit hard as it needs multi-mode, all in mode1 but using different colors in the line of the title.
No multimode need. Only one raster to change Yellow to Blue...

iXien

Quote from: GOB on 15:39, 26 April 20
No multimode need. Only one raster to change Yellow to Blue...
You're right, I just made confusion with terms  :D

Urusergi

****** THE VIKINGS ******

Pause: "P" key. Quit: "P" key again.

On pause:
- Joy1 Fire1 -> return to the game.
- Joy1 Fire2 -> return to the game, "silent mode".

Cheat Menu:
- Joy1Fire1, Y or y: Infinite Lives Yes.
- Joy1Fire2, N or n: Infinite Lives No.

Bug Fixes:
-Initial screen arrow works correctly after playing a game.

@strykr
The best way to start is to find a game like this. It uses the firmware to control the keyboard, and you must simply use the binary search to find strings "CD 1E BB".
As I have a little more experience, I've also tweaked the code a little  ;D

strykr

Thanks Urusergi, id like to give it a go at some point for sure, but am a beginner at all this. Just need to dive in and have a go i guess. Whats the worst that can happen lol.
into 80s music? Try this :) https://247retro.bandcamp.com/

xenon

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:24, 23 April 20
PSYCHO PIG UXB

The game is now Joypads only.

Joypad 1 UP to Select 1 Player Game
Joypad 1 Down to Select 2 Player Game
Joypad 1 Button 2 for Info Screens.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to Pause, Joypad 1 Button 1 to unpause (best to pause whilst not holding a bomb)  ;)
Whilst Paused, press Console Pause Button to Quit.

Press Joypad 1 or Joypad 2 Button 1 to continue, Button 2 is no.
Thanks very much!!  :) :)

Phantomz

IMPACT

Screen Designer removed as to many controls needed and also because you can't save on the GX4000.
The game is now Joypad only!

The goal is to destroy the wall on each screen. There are 80 screens in total. Every 10 screens, a password is given to you, use this password to pass the screens that you have already finished.

I've changed the codes to make them work with my key mapping..

Press Fire Button 1 without code to start on first Frame.

Frame 11: 0001   
Frame 21: 0002
Frame 31: 0003
Frame 41: 0013
Frame 51: 0023
Frame 61: 0033
Frame 71: 0133

Use the following to enter code;

UP = 0, LEFT = 1, RIGHT = 2, DOWN = 3, FIRE 1 = ENTER, FIRE 2 = DELETE

INGAME

Joypad Down to use Token to buy Weapons.
Joypad Button 2 to Pause, any button to unpause.
Console Pause Button to Quit.

Press Joypad 1 Button 1 to skip highscore table.

I've included a poked version with infinite lives.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Phantomz

I've been working with @Urusergi to bring us another game for the GX4000.

The game in question is " Skate Ball ", the game was a bit tricky to do as it has the keyboard bug on the plus computers, there is a french version of the game called " Skate Wars " that has been patched, but I don't think the patch is perfect.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Urusergi has worked on the english version of the game and done his own work to fix the keyboard bug so that the game should now work ok on the Plus Computers and GX4000.  8)

I've remapped all the controls to make it GX4000 friendly.  ;D

SKATE BALL

Console pause button to pause, press a second time to quit, unpause with any button apart from the console pause button again or joypad 1 button 2.

Whilst paused you can change colour options with joypad 1 button 2.

On the main Menu, you can press Up, Down, Left, Right on Joypad 2 to activate the inbuilt cheat,  " Cheat Mode On ! " will be displayed.

To select a level from 1 to 9 for pratice, you need to press one of the following.

J1: 1=1, 2=2, 3=U, 4=L, 5=R, 6=D,     J2: 7=1, 8=2, 9=U

I've included a cpr for the plus computers with no changes, so you have a version for the GX4000 and the PLUS computers. 8)

iXien

Many thanks, I really loved this one and played it a lot. Clearly a sub-Speedball game and the gameplay works less well with an horizontal scrolling than in the Bitmap Bros game and its top view. Don't know why I so much loved it, maybe 'cause I'm french and UBI games were UBIquitous here  :laugh:

Phantomz

SUPER SKI

The game is now Joypad/s only, you can use Joypad 1 or Joypad 2

Pause the Game with Joypad 1 Button 2, any button to unpause apart from console pause button.
Console Pause Button to Return To Main Menu.

Enter numbers of competitors (up to 9 alternating players) with the following.

Joypad 1: U=1, L=2, R=3, D=4    Joypad 2: U= 5, L=6, R=7, D=8, 1=9

To enter skier's Names, press the Console pause button for P, it won't let you enter numbers, do something like the following for names.

P for Player one, Pp for Player 2, Ppp for Player 3 etc, Joypad 1 Button 1 is used to Enter, Joypad 1 Button 2 is used to delete if make a mistake.

I've included a cpr for the plus computers with no changes, so you have a version for the GX4000 and the PLUS computers. 8)

GUNHED

Awesome game! Could even be better with some Plus adaptions to save some time.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)