News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Quote from: Urusergi on 22:48, 28 June 20
Ok, just one game from your wish list  :P

<<<<< TAPPER >>>>>

Hey, many thanks for this one!

Any problem with Saboteur series? These games are important in CPC game history and I have always been puzzled that these two games have still not been converted on GX-4000  ::)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Urusergi

Quote from: iXien on 12:30, 29 June 20
Any problem with Saboteur series?

All the games have a problem, or two problems, or three or....  ;D

In this case the biggest problem is the level selection and the password system.

Really the most complicated problem is when we want to adapt a game that we have never played before.

iXien

Thank you for your reply. I understand. The problem of course is that numerous great CPC games haven't been converted yet because of this kind of specificity.

I think another game like Aliens (he good one, from Electric Dreams) would be great on GX-4000. Sadly, keys are used to select the controlled crew member, making it hard to patch. The easiest solution would be to map keys of the 6 characters on joypad 2 but I think it's not a smart solution. The good solution would be to use J1B2 as a rotating character selector. Each time you press it, it would select the next character from 1 to 6 and then loop. How to do that is a complete mystery for me  :D

So many games are waiting  ;)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Urusergi

<<<<< SUBWAY VIGILANTE >>>>>

Walk up: joy1 up, joy2 up or Q.
Walk down: joy1 down, joy2 down or A.
Walk left:joy1 left, joy2 left or K
Walk right: joy1 right, joy2 right or L.

With joy1 fire1, joy2 fire1 or space held down:

Left: elbow jab.
Left & up: head butt.
Up: flying kick.
Right & Up: punch.
Right: kick.

Pause the Game with console pause button, any button to unpause or console pause button again to return to menu.

MENU:
1: Keyboard.
Joy1 Fire1: Joystick 1.
Joy2 Fire1: Joystick 2.
4: Redefine.

iXien

Quote from: Urusergi on 18:43, 03 July 20
<<<<< SUBWAY VIGILANTE >>>>>

Wow, I didn't know this one... An awful Renegade clone totally unplayable  :laugh:  But all is good for our dear GX-4000  8)

Urusergi

<<<<< BALL BEARING >>>>>

Joy1 up: move up.
Joy1 down: move down.
Pause button: pause / unpause.
Quit:
pause button, then joy1 fire2.
CHEAT inbuilt: Pause button, then joy1 fire1 (infinite lives).

MENU:
Joy1 Fire1: start.
2: keyboard.
3: joystick.
Joy1 Fire2: difficult level.

You have to turn off the console if you get to the end of the game.

Urusergi

<<<<< MUTANTS >>>>>

Joy1 left or K: move left.
Joy1 right or L: move right.
Joy1 up or Q: move up.
Joy1 down or A: move down.
Joy1 fire1 or space: emits the selected weapon or select the icon under the cursor.
Pause button:
Quit.

With trainer (infinite lives).

Urusergi

<<<<< ANDY CAPP >>>>>

Joy1 left or O: left.
Joy1 right or P: right.
Joy1 up or Q: up.
Joy1 down or A: blow kisses, down.
Joy1 fire1 or space: action.

With trainer (infinite kisses & alcohol).

Urusergi

<<<<< ANDROID ONE >>>>>

Joy1 left or K: left.
Joy1 right or L: right.
Joy1 up or Q: up.
Joy1 down or A: down.
Joy1 fire1 or space: Fire.
Pause Button: Pause, Joy1 Fire2 to abort.

MENU:
Joy1 Fire1: start.
Joy1 Fire2: demonstration mode.
Pause button: Instructions.
C: Select control.

With trainer (Immunity).

iXien

Well done, one more ! What about Mission from Loriciel and Airwolf 2 ? Really great games !

Urusergi

Ok, ok, here you go  8)

<<<<< MISSION >>>>>

Joy1 left: left.
Joy1 right: right.
Joy1 up: up.
Joy1 down: down.
Joy1 fire1: fire.
Pause Button: pause, pause button again to abort.

Joy1 fire2: cheat ingame (255 of force)

iXien

Yeah, you rock Urusergi! I really love Loriciels games...and not only because I'm French  :P

Many thanks for this one.

pmeier

This is really an awesome project!
Bubble Bobble is already available, but this didn't prevent me from compiling my own version.  ;D The version by @Phantomz is perfect, I just wanted to add a nice menu to enable one or two button(s) joysticks. I have no GX4000, so I also added the disk, which contains my assembler sources.
Credits go to

• @Phantomz for his ROM. I simply diffed snapshots, so that I don't have to find out memory locations. (Is there a better way? Are the changes somewhere documented? Is it possible to extract files from the ROM??)
  • ACS: For his loader. It loads the unmodified OEM files. (I have also the original boxed disk version.  8) )
For the boss fight I also changed key 1/2 to player1-fire1/player2-fire1 to continue, although you have enough lives to beat him.
I haven't updated the messages like @Phantomz ("R to redefine keys" makes no sense in my version), because I wanted everything as close as possible to the original, but I see that you wanted to be perfect.

zeropolis79

Quote from: iXien on 16:46, 12 July 20
Yeah, you rock Urusergi! I really love Loriciels games...and not only because I'm French  :P

Many thanks for this one.

I quite like Loricels games myself. I always wanted their West Phaser but could never get one, being in the UK. Builderland is my fav game by them.

zeropolis79

Thanks for the new Bubble Bobble file.. Going to try that this evening.

Has cart files been made of the Bubble Bobble remake?

pmeier

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 15:22, 15 July 20Has cart files been made of the Bubble Bobble remake?
No, it's Bubble Bobble by Firebird.

zeropolis79

What I meant was has anyone done the newer one yet

iXien

Yeah, Bubble Bobble 4 CPC has been done some years ago. Its conversion to GX-4000 made me love that this nice remake doesn't need 128K, even if there is some sprite clipping  :P

iXien

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 14:50, 15 July 20

I quite like Loricels games myself. I always wanted their West Phaser but could never get one, being in the UK. Builderland is my fav game by them.

Yeah, they had good ideas. Their "Colt-like" gun made dream all of us. Personally, like a lot of people, I owned the Magnum Light Phaser. A nice gift, until I discover that the gun was equiped with a edge connector while my CPC was equiped with Centronic connectors  :D

Gryzor

Ah Loriciels... I always knew I was in for a treat when coming upon a title of theirs; always had a certain je ne sais quoi...

iXien

That's the French touch of the 80's. Every country had its own identity. For me, studios as Gremlin, Hewson, Ocean, FTL or Elite symbolized the English feeling. Spanish games were easily recognizable too with studios like Topo Soft or Dinamic. In France, Loriciels, Titus, Ubi Soft, Coktel, Ere Informatique, Cobra Soft and Infogrames represented the French game vision with this big creativity in the game concepts and graphical art. Even music sounded differently in French games.

Eden Blues, Billy La Banlieue, Crafton & Xunk (Get Dexter in English), Bob Winner, Bactron, MGT, Mission, Iron Lord, Marche à l'Ombre, L'Ile, Manhattan 95, Asphalt, SRAM and SRAM 2, Mortevielle Manor, Charly Diams, Captain Blood, Bubble Ghost... It's just a sample of this French touch on CPC that made me as a French child.

Hey, Disc and Mata Hari would be great games to convert to GX-4000, isn't it?  8)

iXien

If someone interested by Mata Hari (Urusergi  :P ?), this DSK includes a nice splashscreen from ZeCreator.

Just the RETURN key needs to be remapped to J1F2  ;)

pmeier

Although Wonder Boy is already available as cpr, I had to remaster it to add a nice start menu.
Many thanks to @Phantomz and @Urusergi for your excellent work.
I'm very sure that I could not find the section which replaces 1/2 to start the game. How the hell did you find it... :o

The download contains dsk and cpr. My primary intention is to create emulator independent dsk's which can be played with joystick only *AND* on my real 464 with two joysticks, but only one has two buttons. That's the reason why I always add this option.  ;D

Summary:

• My version disables the joystick up key to jump! (Only fire2 is for jumping).
  • My version does not remap PAUSE (ESC) and QUIT (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) like phantomz/urusergi's version.
  • The disk contains all assembler sources.

Gryzor

VincentGR