News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Davor Vitief

Quote from: iXien on 14:21, 04 November 20
The conversion of a good game on our beloved GX-4000 is always welcomed ! Many thanks for this one. Once again, if no better alternative, the second controller save the day.

In the end, maybe it was a good thing those consoles that offered a numeric keypad on their joypad like the Colecovision, the Intellivision A7800 and the Jaguar.
well, it will be a full conversion when someone with more knowledge remaps the controls, i was only giving ideas  ;D . And you are right, i always have seen those controllers with a numpad as a weird thing but here they would be very useful.
GMT
Detectar idiomaAfrikáansAlbanésAlemánAmháricoÁrabeArmenioAzeríBengalíBielorrusoBirmanoBosnioBúlgaroCamboyanoCanarésCatalánCebuanoChecoChichewaChino simpChino tradCincalésCoreanoCorsoCriollo haitianoCroataDanésEslovacoEslovenoEspañolEsperantoEstonioEuskeraFinlandésFrancésFrisioGaélico escocésGalésGallegoGeorgianoGriegoGujaratiHausaHawaianoHebreoHindiHmongHolandésHúngaroIgboIndonesioInglésIrlandésIslandésItalianoJaponésJavanésKazajoKirguísKurdoLaoLatínLetónLituanoLuxemburguésMacedonioMalayalamMalayoMalgacheMaltésMaoríMaratíMongolNepalíNoruegoPanyabíPastúnPersaPolacoPortuguésRumanoRusoSamoanoSerbioSesotoShonaSindhiSomalíSuajiliSuecoSundanésTagaloTailandésTamilTayikoTeluguTurcoUcranianoUrduUzbecoVietnamitaXhosaYidisYorubaZulú
AfrikáansAlbanésAlemánAmháricoÁrabeArmenioAzeríBengalíBielorrusoBirmanoBosnioBúlgaroCamboyanoCanarésCatalánCebuanoChecoChichewaChino simpChino tradCincalésCoreanoCorsoCriollo haitianoCroataDanésEslovacoEslovenoEspañolEsperantoEstonioEuskeraFinlandésFrancésFrisioGaélico escocésGalésGallegoGeorgianoGriegoGujaratiHausaHawaianoHebreoHindiHmongHolandésHúngaroIgboIndonesioInglésIrlandésIslandésItalianoJaponésJavanésKazajoKirguísKurdoLaoLatínLetónLituanoLuxemburguésMacedonioMalayalamMalayoMalgacheMaltésMaoríMaratíMongolNepalíNoruegoPanyabíPastúnPersaPolacoPortuguésRumanoRusoSamoanoSerbioSesotoShonaSindhiSomalíSuajiliSuecoSundanésTagaloTailandésTamilTayikoTeluguTurcoUcranianoUrduUzbecoVietnamitaXhosaYidisYorubaZulú
La función de sonido está limitada a 200 caracteres
Cerrar

iXien

Ok, I believed that you already patched the game  ;)  I understand but it's not so simple for Zombie I'm afraid, the game needs two single sided DSK that is difficult to manage in CPR. Then it uses a savegame system that is of course useless. I think that's the reason why it hasn't been converted yet, sadly  ::)

http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 09:57, 04 November 20I second that request - I only have one GX controller unless one I have for the Sega Master System will work
Master System joypad doesn't fully work on CPC/CPC+/GX-4000 as pinout is not the same for "fire 2". It needs a little adapter to invert wires. You can also make the change directly in your joypad but then it won't work any more on Master System.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Urusergi

Quote from: iXien on 13:39, 04 November 20
Nice :) But if the player wants to use the keyboard command system on its 464/6128+, is it still available fully working now after the patch ?

Sorry but I had to cut the original code to redirect joy1 fire2 so no keys for command system (0-9, N, S, E, W)

iXien

Quote from: Urusergi on 15:26, 04 November 20Sorry but I had to cut the original code to redirect joy1 fire2 so no keys for command system (0-9, N, S, E, W)
Not surprising. And no problem, the idea here is to offer legendary games to GX-4000 lovers :)

Davor Vitief

Quote from: iXien on 14:40, 04 November 20
Ok, I believed that you already patched the game  ;)  I understand but it's not so simple for Zombie I'm afraid, the game needs two single sided DSK that is difficult to manage in CPR. Then it uses a savegame system that is of course useless. I think that's the reason why it hasn't been converted yet, sadly  ::)
I converted the 64kb version which is a one disk game, the 128kb is the one with two disk, the game can be completed under one hour if you know what to do but, with no saving, playing it for the first time could be a problem without guide.

iXien

@Urusergi

If I dared :-X ... I would suggest you to convert the first ALIEN game to complete the series on GX-4000 :)

POST EDITED

And then the silly guy I am discovered that the game has already been patched  :P

iXien

@Urusergi
Okay, no matter, let's try another one (and this time I verified, he has not been converted yet  8)

I suggest BALL BLAZER. Already available on most of the west 8bit systems (and even NES), what about our beloved GX-4000? With its 2 player mode, BALL BLAZER perfectly fit to the GX-4000 design and its 2 game ports. And what is nice is that the CPC version is outstandingly smooth and fast like the original version on ATARI 800. The 1st person point of view seems a little bit tricky to master at first but after a few tries, all begins to be more and more natural and becomes very pleasant to play. And guys, it's a Lucasfilm game  ;D

What needs to be patched in the main menu :

D - Enter settings / swap settings  (J1B1)
F - Modify selected setting values  (J1B2)
S - start the game                  (PAUSE)
ENTER/RETURN - Demo mode  (J2B1)

The game itself is already playable with a simple controller for player 1 but controls have to be patched so the second player can use the second joypad. Then the pause has to be patched too :
H - Pause (PAUSE)
H once again - Continue game (J1B1)
S - Reset game (J1B2)

If you're ok to follow me  :) , once again I attached a clean version in DSK and CPR.

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 13:54, 04 November 20
Playing this i remembered another great game in the same genre called "zombi", i have converted it to .cpr and only three keys are missing, the key "ESC" to cancel actions and keys "Z" and "X" to struggle if you get caught by a zombie (you have to smash them), also there is the the key "F" to invert the actions open and close but i think its not needed at all, "ESC" could go into button 2 and "Z" and "X" into second controller buttons and maybe into the pad too to make the struggle easier, i have attached the cpr in case anyone is interested.

@Davor Vitief

ZOMBI

I've had a look at this game for you.  :D

You might like to give it a test.

I've made the following changes.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to cancel actions,
Joypad 1 Button 1 to cancel. if click tape options by mistake.
If you Click the Trash game option, Joypad 1 Left to Quit, Right to cancel.
Joypad 2 Button 2 to invert the action ( this is the F key still )  ;)  I could change to console button if only got 1 Joypad.

This just leaves the struggle to fight the zombies, it's not very nice having to waggle a D-pad, therefore I've changed it so that you need just one button.

Joypad 1 Button 1 to fight Zombies ( keep hitting it ).

If you don't want to do that, I've included a cpr with auto attack.

I hope these work ok.

Davor Vitief

@Phantomz

Thank you!, this is even better than what i though initially, being able to struggle with the zombies with controller 1 makes the game doable with just one controller.

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 21:14, 05 November 20
@Phantomz

Thank you!, this is even better than what i though initially, being able to struggle with the zombies with controller 1 makes the game doable with just one controller.

I thought it would be best to change the fight control if I could.  8)

iXien

@Phantomz

Fabulous work! I didn't expect ZOMBI working on the little GX-4000. For once a tape version of a CPC game has an interest  :P  And your idea to patch the struggles to joypad 1, just smart!

Quote from: iXien on 21:42, 05 November 20I thought it would be best to change the fight control if I could. 
I suppose modifying the gameplay is something else than patching keys? No matter, it's already very nice as it, it's a very good job.
Many thanks for this one, really!

Thanks to @Davor Vitief too for the idea. I will have a look to see if there are other games that haven't been converted to GX-4000 because they are double sided on floppy disk and should be done thanks to a single sider tape version copied on floppy disk  ;)

Davor Vitief

I have a problem with the Ninja Massacre conversion that I downloaded from the wiki, when I launch the game the intro screen appears briefly, then the screen flickers full of garbage and goes to a black screen that only shows the force / treasure counter and freezes, can anyone try this game too?

Urusergi

Edited.

iXien

@Urusergi What a fast work ! Many thanks. That's a great addtition to the GX-4000 game library  ;) .

But there is a problem with the settings control you chosen. Originally, the d-pad on joypad permits to move the pod on the field as an attract mode (and it perfectly works for player 2 now :) ) during presentation with music and BallBlazer logo. Remapping the settings on D-pad, this feature is broken and it interferes with this "attract mode" (press up and down enters the settings menu), resulting in weird things and not a really intuitive operation while choosing settings. To be honest, I was expecting such a problem so that's why I didn't suggest you to use the D-pad on main menu.

Of course, it's a bit annoying to have to use the second joypad to launch a demo but like this, avoiding to use the d-pad, it will be no more problem with settings and the attract mode will be preserved:

Joy1 fire1: Modify chosen setting
Joy1 fire2: Enter/swap settings
Pause button: Start the game

If you can distinguish the controls at main screen and in settings menu, it can be optimised and fully controlled with joypad 1  8) :

Main screen
Joy1 fire1: Demo mode
Joy1 fire2: Enter settings
Pause button: Start game

Settings menu
Joy1 fire1: Modify choosen setting
Joy1 fire2: Swap settings
Pause button: Start game

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 22:41, 05 November 20
I have a problem with the Ninja Massacre conversion that I downloaded from the wiki, when I launch the game the intro screen appears briefly, then the screen flickers full of garbage and goes to a black screen that only shows the force / treasure counter and freezes, can anyone try this game too?

@Davor Vitief

I remember I did this game ages a go, if I remember correctly I couldn't get it to stop on the loading screen due to compression, the game loads like that due to how the game was ripped from tape.

When it gets to the black screen that only shows the force / treasure counter, did you try and press a fire button?

Davor Vitief

Quote from: Phantomz on 10:38, 06 November 20@Davor Vitief I remember I did this game ages a go, if I remember correctly I couldn't get it to stop on the loading screen due to compression, the game loads like that due to how the game was ripped from tape. When it gets to the black screen that only shows the force / treasure counter, did you try and press a fire button?
yes, i have tried every button and pad direction, both controllers, to no avail.

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 12:21, 06 November 20
yes, i have tried every button and pad direction, both controllers, to no avail.

Strange, I can't test on real hardware at the moment, it's working ok in emulation, maybe someone else can give it a test.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 12:28, 06 November 20Strange, I can't test on real hardware at the moment, it's working ok in emulation, maybe someone else can give it a test.
Hi guys, I just tested on my GX-4000, same problem as @Davor Vitief , black screen and nothing when pressing all buttons possible.

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 12:33, 06 November 20
Hi guys, I just tested on my GX-4000, same problem as @Davor Vitief , black screen and nothing when pressing all buttons possible.

Cheers, probably a plus keyboard bug!

Not sure if other versions work, but can't work on those as they have compression so I can't make the changes.

Be interesting to know if other versions work on the plus machines.

I used the first cracked disk from cpc power if anyone can make it plus friendly if that's the problem.

Davor Vitief

Quote from: Phantomz on 12:38, 06 November 20

Cheers, probably a plus keyboard bug!

Not sure if other versions work, but can't work on those as they have compression so I can't make the changes.

Be interesting to know if other versions work on the plus machines.

I used the first cracked disk from cpc power if anyone can make it plus friendly if that's the problem.
I have tried to convert another .dsk with same result, in winape you get to the green strength counter and with any key press you go to the Menu but in GX4000 the counter is red and the game freezes.  :(

I have tried the Ball Blazer conversion too and it works.

Urusergi

Quote from: iXien on 07:31, 06 November 20But there is a problem with the settings control you chosen. Originally, the d-pad on joypad permits to move the pod on the field as an attract mode (and it perfectly works for player 2 now :) ) during presentation with music and BallBlazer logo. Remapping the settings on D-pad, this feature is broken and it interferes with this "attract mode" (press up and down enters the settings menu), resulting in weird things and not a really intuitive operation while choosing settings. To be honest, I was expecting such a problem so that's why I didn't suggest you to use the D-pad on main menu.
I usually set the controls as requested but in this case it's almost obligatory to change the order  :(
The key test routine is the same within the game and in the menu, and there are keys that have a double function but no distinct routines.
I've found no other way to convert the game. If we had the source code it would be very easy.

I'm going to take another look, if I find the way  ???

iXien

Quote from: Urusergi on 15:35, 06 November 20I usually set the controls as requested but in this case it's almost obligatory to change the order 
The key test routine is the same within the game and in the menu, and there are keys that have a double function but no distinct routines.
I've found no other way to convert the game. If we had the source code it would be very easy.
Okay, I made some more tests with your patched version and now I see what you're talking about. If I understand well, you have not even the possibility just to let the D-Pad of the two joypads free for the Attract mode until the beginning of the game?

dragon

I'f don't make the ninja work remember me it >10 December and I take it a look.

But this sound a compresión  problem..change one thing and it change alot of things in all game. Because all come from the same compressed byte.

And from the ball game. Learn to use the no$scart extra page. You can modify subrutines calling the cartridge, inserting you own code... And then return to normal code.

For example: same subroutine?. Jump to cartridge when that subroutine was called, pop instruction, check from what direction was called.  And patch the sobrutine controls at fly. Then return and continue.

I'n rescue to Atlantis there is no subroutine to read the game pads. I use the general cpcwiki read routine..

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 17:03, 06 November 20I'f don't make the ninja work remember me it >10 December and I take it a look.

But this sound a compresión  problem..change one thing and it change alot of things in all game. Because all come from the same compressed byte.

Hi @dragon , nice to see you on this thread, it's been awhile.  :)

I believe it might be a plus keyboard bug, the reason I say this, the disk does the same thing if converted to cpr with no changes.

I need the first cracked disk from cpc power looking at, I've looked at the disk again, the reason I didn't get it to stop on the title screen was due to the bas file being protected, I can get it to stop on the loading screen on the next version if it is a plus keyboard bug and it can be fixed.