News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

@iXien

I'll have a look at " Beyond the Ice Palace ", when I can.

I have no idea what the deal is with this game, pretty sure I got random crashes on my plus machines with no key changes.

Trouble is I need to test on real hardware and I haven't got access to it at the moment, we are in a second lockdown in England so can't do much.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:51, 09 November 20I'll have a look at " Beyond the Ice Palace ", when I can.
I have no idea what the deal is with this game, pretty sure I got random crashes on my plus machines with no key changes.
Trouble is I need to test on real hardware and I haven't got access to it at the moment, we are in a second lockdown in England so can't do much.
No problem, I will make some tests using the DSK version you used that includes the CPC+ palette patch on my own CPC to verify but you're right, I think the problem is not due to your key patches. Occasionally, if you can fix this terrible key looping that make me crazy each time I launch the game, don't hesitate  ;D

I have others nice games for which I'm preparing clean DSK/CPR for patching if you're ok occasionally (I promise that I will check the GX-4000 game list bfaore)  :)  ?
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 17:28, 09 November 20
No problem, I will make some tests using the DSK version you used that includes the CPC+ palette patch on my own CPC to verify but you're right, I think the problem is not due to your key patches. Occasionally, if you can fix this terrible key looping that make me crazy each time I launch the game, don't hesitate  ;D

@iXien

The problem is due to compression, you can't redefine to the Joystick, so you wouldn't get fire button 2 working.

Due to compression I can only change one joystick key to X and this is getting copied to every other Joystick key. and this is causing the problem.

I can change it so it uses Joypad 2 to select Joy or Keys, this will fix the problem, but you will need to use the second joypad.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:47, 09 November 20I can change it so it uses Joypad 2 to select Joy or Keys, this will fix the problem, but you will need to use the second joypad.
That's not very comfortable, but much more than needing to use the second joypad just for that. Don't touch this CPR :)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Okay, if I'm right, KINETIK hasn't been converted yet  :laugh:

I provide a clean CPR that includes a cheat script that I modified to work with GX-4000 joypad.

Here are the keys that would need to be patched :

On main screen:
Joypad1 fire1 - Start game (G)
Joypad1 fire2 - Sound on/off (S)
Joypad1 up - Keyboard
Joypad1 right - Joystick
Joypad1 down - Cursor.

Eventually, it would be nice if the Joystick could become the default value. And if the joystick become the default value, control choice can disappear from main screen if there is a way to do that  8) .

While playing
Joypad1 fire2 - Select item (CTRL)
Pause - Pause game (ESC) (twice to abort)

Yep, a nice little game ! Somebody interested for this one  :D  ?

Phantomz

@iXien

I've just done " KINETIK ", I'll upload it soon.

I've made my own cpr as prefer to look at different disks to see which are best for me to work with, I also wanted it to stop on the loading screen.

I've gone for the clean look, like you wanted with " psycho pigs ", so I've made seperate cpr's with pokes.

Phantomz

KINETIK

The game is now Joypad only.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to Select Item.

Pause with Console Pause Button, any button to unpause apart from Console Pause Button as this will quit game.

I've included poked version's with infinite lives, and also one to make you Immortal.

iXien

Many thanks. I think Kinetik is a very nice game. It looks like a Spectrum game but made with care as Jasdan Joerges, the developer behind the two versions, took time to add ruptures so the game displays more than 4 colors. And the gravity system is interesting. Sadly, this adventure is very short once you are used to the gameplay.

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:28, 10 November 20I've gone for the clean look, like you wanted with " psycho pigs ", so I've made seperate cpr's with pokes.
I always hesitate between a sober but practical menu avoiding having two or three CPRs and the pleasure of having separate CPRs allowing to launch the game as an official release  ;)

Davor Vitief

I bring yet another petition  ::) this time is a favorite of mine, Frank Bruno's Boxing, the Amstrad clone of Punch-Out, this conversion is a bit of a challenge because although this game has joystick mode you need a hand on the keyboard to use three extra keys that are mapped like this in joystick mode:

Joystick fire - Duck
Joystick right - Dodge Right
Joystick left - Dodge Left
Joystick up - Guard Up
Joystick down - Guard Down
I Key - Punch Left
O Key - Punch Right
Space Bar - K.O. Punch

The easiest and unorthodox way would be remapping the keys into both controllers pads and hold them like a Wii-mote, but i think that, if possible, the best way would be to create multi function buttons remapping guard down/guard up into controller 1 up, duck into controller 1 down and punch left and right into controller 1 buttons 1 and 2 and K.O punch into these same buttons, because K.O punch can only be used while the K.O. Gauge is full and must be used every time while it lasts. in short something like this:

Joypad1 fire1 - Punch Left / K.O. Punch
Joypad1 fire2 - Punch Right / K.O. Punch
Joypad1 up - Guard Up / Guard Down
Joypad1 down - Duck
Joypad1 right - Dodge Right
Joypad1 left - Dodge Left

Main menu needs a way to select joystick and at least the 'L' key to start the fight with next Boxer and 'enter' key to skip the name entry prompt.

I have attached a cracked version in case anyone is willing to try to do the conversion.

Davor Vitief

double post

Phantomz

@Davor Vitief

I remember having a look at " Frank Bruno's Boxing", some time a go.

I think I stopped trying as don't think I could find a way to enter the codes for each boxer.

Maybe @Urusergi or @dragon  could have a look at this one for you.

iXien

@Davor Vitief
Funny, I was looking at Franck Bruno's Boxing some weeks ago.

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:00, 10 November 20I think I stopped trying as don't think I could find a way to enter the codes for each boxer.
And that's here I stopped to hope to play this one on GX-4000 too. If only they used a system to select each letter using the joystick like on a console system, but clearly it was so simple using the CPC keyboard  ::)

Davor Vitief

True, i was so focused in the gameplay that i forgot all about passwords.  :doh: well, i hope someone come up with a solution, because there are a bunch of games with the same problem.

TotO

Because FBB is a Punch Out!! "clone", if possible the gamepad controls could be

Hook: (body)
- Fire 1
- Fire 2

Jab: (head)
- Up + Fire 1
- Up + Fire 2

KO:
- Fire 1 + 2

Dodge:
- Left
- Right

Block: (guard)
- Down

Duck:
- Down (x2)

About the password, it will require a rewrite... Or to be really good. :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

iXien

While we continue to investigate in which we can call now under the codename "Franck Bruno's case"  ;D  , I suggest an easier one :

WARLOCK from The Edge, a nice 3D isometrical action game closer to Gauntlet than Night Lore. Slowdowns are sometimes frustrating as the developper has been very arrogant concerning its display engine, but it remains a nice adventure in which for oncee you are the evil!

What I found interesting in the past is that, even if you have to redefine keys first, you can use the second button of a joypad for the secondary function. Not so usual back in 1987.

Ok, so by default the game is configured to be played exclusively from keyboard and you need to redefine keys to play using a joystick. So here are the keys to remap to make joypad1 the default control system :

While playing
Joypad1 left =  left/away (cursor left)
Joypad1 down = left/toward (cursor down)
Joypad1 up = right/away (cursor up)
Joypad1 right = right/toward (cursor right)
Joypad1 fire1 = Fire (COPY)
Joypad1 fire2 = Zap (CONTROL)
Pause = Pause game (SPACE)

On main screen
Joypad1 fire1 = Start game (SHIFT)

It remains one problem : The high score table. Once again, keyboard is needed to seize your name and validate it. I hate when we have no other choice but use the joypad and pause button to type randomly corresponding letters or just press fire to let an empty entry.

That's why I suggest two possibilities :
   - The smartest : patching the game, you manage to make the highscore table disappear from the game (what is the interest in any case of a high score table erased after each reboot, I always wondered during my childhood). No high score table and direct return to the main screen at the end of a game whatever the score you made, no more keyboard problem.
   - The most cunning : You manage to set all the default entries of the high score table to 99999 so nobody can enter the high score table (as far as I know, the game doesn't permit to make such a score). no game entry, no more keyboard problem  :P  !

As joypad become the default control system, key instructions (to play and define keys) can be erased from main screen and high score table if possible.

I didn't found a clean version of the game with infinite lives. A poked version in addition would be interesting as the game is a bit difficult  8)

iXien

If someone is working on the WARLOCK conversion, I managed to find pokes thanks to Amstrad Maniaque on its Youtube channel  ;D  :

256 lives : POKE &17D,&FF
16 keys : POKE &199,&10
16 zaps : POKE &19D,&10
Infinite energy : POKE &3339,&00

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:00, 10 November 20
@Davor Vitief

I remember having a look at " Frank Bruno's Boxing", some time a go.

I think I stopped trying as don't think I could find a way to enter the codes for each boxer.

Maybe @Urusergi or @dragon  could have a look at this one for you.

Stupid question, but I know in most games on high score tables, the fire button generates a character. Could the passwords not be changed to say, XXXXXXXXXX for each other, to bypass it?

It's not ideal, but it would make it playable. :)

Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:23, 11 November 20Stupid question, but I know in most games on high score tables, the fire button generates a character. Could the passwords not be changed to say, XXXXXXXXXX for each other, to bypass it?
Possible, you're right. But to be honest, the problem is less the high score table than the name of the boxer and the seize of passwords generated depending on this name.

iXien

And tonight, fully working on your GX-4000, here is :

((( HIGH STEEL )))

Joypad1 Up = Climb up
Joypad1 down = Climb down
Joypad1 left = Move left
Joypad1 right = Move right
Joypad1 fire1 = Pick up / Drop
Joypad1 fire1+left = Throw left
Joypad1 fire1+right = Throw right

Just use up/down/fire to enter your name in the highscore table.

I added a poked version that allows to choose if you want infinite lives and time. I also erase on the main screen the message that prompted to press D to redefine the keys.

A nice little puzzle game in which you have to construct floors of a building dispate of gremlins that wreak havoc. You need to lay vertical beams first and then bricks at the top to make floors at least 5 bricks wide. With each new level, you are asked to build more and more floors. Gremlins are more and more numerous, varied and aggressive. The crane brings materials faster and faster invading the area in which you try to build your floors...

It's a bit spoiled by a flaw that we find in too many puzzle games, getting too hard too quickly, but I still had a good time on the Amiga version at the time and the CPC version is very honorable. If you have troubles grasping the principle, you will find on Youtube a little video of the Amiga version which perfectly shows the gameplay.

VincentGR

MATA HARI

• Normal Version
  • Cheat Version (Requires Keyboard)
Needs to be uploaded to the main repository.

464/6128 PLUS only

iXien

@VincentGR
Interesting, but how did you master the problem of the secret codes to seize on locked doors ?

VincentGR

Quote from: iXien on 00:53, 12 November 20
@VincentGR
Interesting, but how did you master the problem of the secret codes to seize on locked doors ?

I didn't.
Although I finished this game so many times, I totally forget about them since you mention it  :picard:   ;D

iXien

@Falfa
Take care, currently Mata Hari isn't fully playable on GX-4000 as the game needs a keyboard for door codes.

Falfa

Quote from: iXien on 10:50, 12 November 20
@Falfa
Take care, currently Mata Hari isn't fully playable on GX-4000 as the game needs a keyboard for door codes.

On a 6128+  :D

iXien

I feel like I flopped with WARLOCK  ;D ;D ;D ;D . Is someone had a look on it or not at all ?

@Urusergi , @Phantomz  8)  ? Anyone else  :P  ?