News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

@Urusergi , @Phantomz
Ok guys, I understood, I take back my WARLOCK.CPR file and forget it  ;D

So why not trying one that seems to interest a lot of us ? Of course MATA HARI as we were talking about it.

Patch ENTER key to Joypad1 fire2 would not be a problem I suppose? But how to seize the codes without keyboard. Maybe I can make a proposal for that. If we can use multiple keys patches, we could do that while the game asks to type a password :

1 = Joypad1 fire1+up
2 = Joypad1 fire1+right
3 = Joypad1 fire1+down
4 = Joypad1 fire1+left
5 = Joypad1 fire2+up
6 = Joypad1 fire2+right
7 = Joypad1 fire2+down
8 = Joypad1 fire2+left
9 = Joypad1 fire1+fire2

The use of the joypad2 to type numbers from 5 to 9 could be another option but far less smart, isn't it?

Attached is clean version that I really like as it shows a nice splashscreen from the Atari ST version done by ZeCreator since the original version as none. MATA HARI is a very representative title in the CPC game library, and an exclusivity on 8bit computers. I think it's an important one (more than WARLOCK, yes :P )

EDIT : I replaced the CPR file by one without the atrocious BIP when splashscreen appears.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

VincentGR

I was thinking a combination like this but I didn't know how to do it.
Also, I thought that would be rude to ask so... thanks  ;D

Off-topic but as a kid when I shot the person with the codes by accident, I was just pressing all numbers till doors open.

Urusergi

Quote from: iXien on 00:15, 13 November 20
Ok guys, I understood, I take back my WARLOCK.CPR file and forget it  ;D

Hey! I'm working on the WARLOCK conversion  :-X

@Phantomz can convert Mata Hary, if he wants / has time.

iXien

Quote from: Urusergi on 00:47, 13 November 20Hey! I'm working on the WARLOCK conversion 
SORRY, SORRY, SORRY, SORRY  :laugh:

WARLOCK isn't really a famous game on CPC so I was thinking nobody wanted to take time to work on it. I will wait patiently  ;)  Many thanks for your time.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

Quote from: Urusergi on 00:47, 13 November 20MATA HARI

I think I tried to do " MATA HARI " before, couldn't find how to deal with the door codes, if I remember correctly.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 10:17, 13 November 20I think I tried to do " MATA HARI " before, couldn't find how to deal with the door codes, if I remember correctly.
And at the time, have you tested this idea of two buttons at the same time to expand the seize capabilities with joypad?

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 10:48, 13 November 20
And at the time, have you tested this idea of two buttons at the same time to expand the seize capabilities with joypad?

Coming up with an idea is one thing, doing it is something else, we're trying to change games, not rewrite the game code.

It's the same problem with " Navy Moves " on the GX4000 page, can't do Part 2 due to codes.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:36, 13 November 20Coming up with an idea is one thing, doing it is something else, we're trying to change games, not rewrite the game code.
I totally understand. I was just asking if you thought of it. Now of course all isn't possible just patching keys, it's already wonderful all the games that have been patched ;) Personally, you're right I just give ideas and clean CPR, after that it's you that can tell if it's possible 8)

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 15:53, 13 November 20
I totally understand. I was just asking if you thought of it. Now of course all isn't possible just patching keys, its already wonderful all the games that have been patched ;)

Maybe one of the other guys that know coding could have a look at it.

Games can be hard to do when codes are involved, or when you have loads of keys.

Phantomz

I've got a game request.  :laugh:

No, I'm not joking.  :)

I'd like to be able to play " The Wild Bunch " on the GX4000

@Urusergi , @dragon

Do you think it would be possible to get this game done?

The main problem is you need a lot of keys, like in the store, you need letters a to p , you also need number to buy amount of goods and fight.

If you use the first cracked disk from cpc-power, you can keep pressing ESC, so that you can list the game.

Because the game can be listed, could we use left and right to select a letter or number, button 1 to select it, then button two to enter it in game?

zeropolis79

Quote from: Phantomz on 16:13, 13 November 20
I've got a game request.  :laugh:

No, I'm not joking.  :)

I'd like to be able to play " The Wild Bunch " on the GX4000

@Urusergi , @dragon

Do you think it would be possible to get this game done?

The main problem is you need a lot of keys, like in the store, you need letters a to p , you also need number to buy amount of goods and fight.

If you use the first cracked disk from cpc-power, you can keep pressing ESC, so that you can list the game.

Because the game can be listed, could we use left and right to select a letter or number, button 1 to select it, then button two to enter it in game?

It would be tricky..  maybe it might be worth reworking it so you could scroll down the options in each menu.

I've been pondering and experimenting with an enhanced version of it. If it was to go to the GX, maybe some Plus graphics could be added - the street scenes are all done by drawing with redefined characters. I considered having random artwork load in to show the time of day since the street scenes are all the same. The C64 remake addressed that.. I also considered new presentation for the WANTED poster and the map.

The main problem with it is that in it's untampered state, it uses a lot of the 464's memory includning part that would be taken up by the disc drive ROM and the original tape doesn't work on the 6128

dragon

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 19:32, 13 November 20

It would be tricky..  maybe it might be worth reworking it so you could scroll down the options in each menu.

I've been pondering and experimenting with an enhanced version of it. If it was to go to the GX, maybe some Plus graphics could be added - the street scenes are all done by drawing with redefined characters. I considered having random artwork load in to show the time of day since the street scenes are all the same. The C64 remake addressed that.. I also considered new presentation for the WANTED poster and the map.

The main problem with it is that in it's untampered state, it uses a lot of the 464's memory includning part that would be taken up by the disc drive ROM and the original tape doesn't work on the 6128
5000+ lines in basic...found each menu and change it in basic....
Just a  idea patch call &BB09 to jump to &0050. Put here a litte subturoutine that  put in  a screen corner one digit that show  the alphafet+numbers used in game with pad directions.Choose one with the gamepad and return the number choosen back to the program in the register where the original call &bb09 returns the key code your selected key.

And if there is not space just call cartridge and put there the subtutine.

Then every time it request  you enter a number it call your subrutine.Select your letter with gamepad and done.

dragon

just testing the &bb09 swap.

I think he should work in the entire game except the beginning and the finish. That need a basic modification.

I don't have time to make it now. So maybe urusergi can finish patch the spanish and English version In basic.

I have observed that is need to put a extra line in basic in the English version that patch bb09, because it rewrite bb09 deleting my jump to 0050. (the spanish version don't do that.).

I don't have tested it fully for example in poker bet to enter 3 can enter 003.

But it's possible add and enter option in the numbers or letters.

I upload the source code latter commented is easy to understand.

Up/down 0-9 left right a/z f1 enter number f2 enter letter.

I recommend made a dual languaje cpr.

zeropolis79

Well, if he wants to try that code and work on a cart of the original version of the game, I'll still work on the enhancements and if he gives permission I can make use of his modifed version to add my enhancements too. As the C64 shot shown here demonstrates, it looks a lot better than the CPC one with line drawings.. I'd like to replicate that if possible, maybe even use a Plus specific art program to work on it.

dragon

Beautiful,I don't a graphics guy :D.
Yeah you can use the patch,modify it,no problem for me.
Thats the source code,i add a "[" after the z that is a intro really. so is possible now enter 0003 or 3+[ (intro)
Change the enter name at begining and end shoudl be easy in basic are only two menus.

VincentGR

Istradarion

CPC Plus

iXien

VincentGR

iXien

Quote from: VincentGR on 20:30, 14 November 20Yeah, but I make them for the Plus users
[size=0.85em]Report[/size][/size]

No problem but don't forget this thread is named Converted GX4000.cpr - The topic :)

VincentGR

Indeed, I upload them here to see them the advanced users, so they could make a fix.
Will not happen again.

iXien

Quote from: VincentGR on 20:46, 14 November 20Indeed, I upload them here to see them the advanced users, so they could make a fix.
Will not happen again.
Once again, no problem. Myself, I move forward with humility because I depend on the good will of "those who know" 8) . About homebrew games, maybe you can contact directly the author so he could accept to make an official GX-4000 version 100% joypad ?

VincentGR

The coder is a 20 years friend, I will ask him and probably he will make a different menu or else I will make one (I hope)

VincentGR

Istradarion GX4000

Ok I'm back.
The game now starts with the fire button.
I don't have a GX so can someone please test if both joypads work?

Unfortunately now is two players only but his doesn't affect the game.

Thank you.

iXien

Quote from: VincentGR on 00:04, 15 November 20I don't have a GX so can someone please test if both joypads work?
Just tested on real GX-4000, it perfectly works with the two joypads, poypad 1 for player 3 and joypad 2 for player 4 ;)

VincentGR

Wow thank you!
Will upload the final version with the loading picture  ;D

Another thing I noticed is that my carts are 512KB, is there any "switch" to make them smaller?