News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

luckpro

Hello friends. You already have it converted and adapted to not need a keyboard, just a joystick.

https://twitter.com/voxeltower/status/1346152457911545857?s=19

If you need anything else let me know.

Phantomz

Quote from: Xyphoe on 10:57, 04 January 21
If anyone could convert the Thomas The Tank Engine game ... it would make my nearly 3 year old boy very happy!! Thanks in advance!  :D

@Xyphoe

I've just done " Thomas The Tank Engine " game for you and your little boy.  ;)

I tried to do it ASAP, didn't see a high score table, if there is one and it needs a fix to get passed, I'll try and sort it when I have the time.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to Pause, Joypad 1 Button 1 to Unpause, whilst Paused, console Pause Button to Quit game.

I've changed O and P to U and I for Plus users.

I didn't see any pokes online, so haven't made any poked versions yet!

Xyphoe

Quote from: Phantomz on 22:59, 04 January 21

@Xyphoe

I've just done " Thomas The Tank Engine " game for you and your little boy.  ;)

I tried to do it ASAP, didn't see a high score table, if there is one and it needs a fix to get passed, I'll try and sort it when I have the time.

Joypad 1 Button 2 to Pause, Joypad 1 Button 1 to Unpause, whilst Paused, console Pause Button to Quit game.

I've changed O and P to U and I for Plus users.

I didn't see any pokes online, so haven't made any poked versions yet!

Thank you so much for that! That is very kind of you!!
He did enjoy it .... mostly the music and the sight of Thomas on the screen and train tracks which he loves .... but I forgot how truly dreadful the game actually is!!  :picard: He just sat and watched me play it.

Xyphoe

Quote from: luckpro on 19:27, 04 January 21
Hello friends. You already have it converted and adapted to not need a keyboard, just a joystick.

https://twitter.com/voxeltower/status/1346152457911545857?s=19

If you need anything else let me know.

WOO!
Has anyone else tried this yet on their GX4000? I have mine hooked up to the CM14 (the Plus colour monitor) and the vertical sync is crazy on it - the image just looping wrapping around constantly.

I know voxeltower is investigating but it would be good to know if others are experiencing this and on what monitor types.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Xyphoe on 21:27, 05 January 21

I forgot how truly dreadful the game actually is!!  :picard: He just sat and watched me play it.

And he'll want to watch you play it tomorrow. :)
And the day after. :O
And the weekend. ':D
And next week. :/

dthrone

Quote from: Xyphoe on 21:29, 05 January 21
WOO!
Has anyone else tried this yet on their GX4000? I have mine hooked up to the CM14 (the Plus colour monitor) and the vertical sync is crazy on it - the image just looping wrapping around constantly.

I know voxeltower is investigating but it would be good to know if others are experiencing this and on what monitor types.

The hsync/vsync settings look a bit avantgarde so my guess is the problem lies with those!

Xyphoe

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 22:21, 05 January 21

And he'll want to watch you play it tomorrow. :)
And the day after. :O
And the weekend. ' :D
And next week. :/
So true! Funny story this Xmas... Mini Xy got obsessed with BURNIN' RUBBER (he loves cars and traffic lights). Every day, he'd excitedly point at the office door and squeal and he'd make me put on Burnin' Rubber on the GX, and he'd sit and watch for ages. If I put another game on he'd get cross and I'd have to put it back on again! Bloody annoying as there was a bunch of new CPC games I wanted to play this Xmas!! :D (I've actually got quite good again at Burnin' Rubber though!)

spikemorrissey

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had made any progress on converting Pinball Dreams?

Thanks!

iXien

Quote from: spikemorrissey on 02:36, 10 January 21
I was wondering if anyone had made any progress on converting Pinball Dreams?
The game needs 128k and two floppy disc sides. Until the authors decide to create a plain cartridge version that can access to all the files and compensiate the lack of memory by using the cartridge features, loading data on the fly, a GX-4000 patch of this one is highly unlikely, I'm afraid.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

zeropolis79

Quote from: Xyphoe on 22:28, 05 January 21
So true! Funny story this Xmas... Mini Xy got obsessed with BURNIN' RUBBER (he loves cars and traffic lights). Every day, he'd excitedly point at the office door and squeal and he'd make me put on Burnin' Rubber on the GX, and he'd sit and watch for ages. If I put another game on he'd get cross and I'd have to put it back on again! Bloody annoying as there was a bunch of new CPC games I wanted to play this Xmas!! :D (I've actually got quite good again at Burnin' Rubber though!)

That's young-uns for you Xy.

GUNHED

Quote from: iXien on 17:44, 10 January 21
The game needs 128k and two floppy disc sides. Until the authors decide to create a plain cartridge version that can access to all the files and compensiate the lack of memory by using the cartridge features, loading data on the fly, a GX-4000 patch of this one is highly unlikely, I'm afraid.
Well, in this case would a 6128plus version be doable?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

iXien

Quote from: GUNHED on 22:20, 12 January 21
Well, in this case would a 6128plus version be doable?
I suppose that it would be possible to patch keys to joypad but no necessarily as there is lot of keys and not a lot of buttons. Maybe the program is compressed, making patches difficult of impossible (others than me would know better).
And here we are on a thread dedicated to GX-4000 conversions  :P . And it's nicer to play on keyboard when it's possible, isn't it?

http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

GUNHED

Sorry, for getting off-topic, just thought would be nice to have it as cartridge.  :)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

iXien

Quote from: GUNHED on 22:31, 12 January 21
Sorry, for getting off-topic, just thought would be nice to have it as cartridge.  :)
No problem, It was just a joke. We are all ok to say here that a game on cartridge is a very nice feature, particularly about loadings. Concerning Pinball Dream however, I don't remember if highscores can be saved. Here of course it would be a feature only possible on floppy disk  ;)

GUNHED

Well, true. But for 2021 I decided to give up to reach high scores.  :laugh:

spikemorrissey

Hi I have some requests if possible please :

Kitsune's Curse
The sword of Ianna
Atic Atac
Sgt Helmet training day
The adventures of Timothy Gunn
R-Type 128k
Megablasters
Orion Prime

ukmarkh

Sometimes I just want to run Plus games through my 6128 Plus using my C4CPC, will these new .CPR files work as normal or is everything geared for GX4000?

zeropolis79

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:40, 25 January 21
Sometimes I just want to run Plus games through my 6128 Plus using my C4CPC, will these new .CPR files work as normal or is everything geared for GX4000?

I run them through my 6128 Plus with no issues via the C4 cart.

eto

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:40, 25 January 21

Is there any GX4000 software which won't run on the Plus? I thought they are practically identical systems.

If I am not mistaken, it's just the other way around, which can become an issue: You can easily convert most .DSK into .CPR but on the GX4000 it will not be useful if it requires the keyboard. So you first need to also patch the program, so it doesn't require the keyboard. (which is the original purpose of this whole thread)

iXien

Quote from: eto on 18:28, 26 January 21
Is there any GX4000 software which won't run on the Plus? I thought they are practically identical systems.

If I am not mistaken, it's just the other way around, which can become an issue: You can easily convert most .DSK into .CPR but on the GX4000 it will not be useful if it requires the keyboard. So you first need to also patch the program, so it doesn't require the keyboard. (which is the original purpose of this whole thread)
If I make no mistake, we can't exclude that a CPC version of a game that is incompatible on CPC+ because of a keyboard compatibility problem but perfectly works on GX-4000 just because there is no keyboard has been used for a patch. In this case, it's possible that this patched version doesn't work on CPC+. However, the risk remains minimal. It would be a huge bad luck  ;)

Phantomz

Quote from: eto on 18:28, 26 January 21

Spot on.  ;D

If you want to play games on the plus machines, with the controls working how they should in menu's and in game, just use the nocart program and make your own cpr's, it's straight forward to do that.  ;)

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 00:00, 27 January 21
Spot on.  ;D  If you want to play games on the plus machines, with the controls working how they should in menu's and in game, just use the nocart program and make your own cpr's, it's straight forward to do that.  ;)
I can understand the desire to play using patched versions because they are fully playable without keyboard. For games needing the second joypad, original keyboard controls are more convenient of course but for games that need keyboard just for a second action, it's so much more confortable to play without having to jump on a key, particularly playing with a joypad that originally needs to be grabbed with your two hands  8)

andycadley

Quote from: iXien on 21:13, 26 January 21
If I make no mistake, we can't exclude that a CPC version of a game that is incompatible on CPC+ because of a keyboard compatibility problem but perfectly works on GX-4000 just because there is no keyboard has been used for a patch. In this case, it's possible that this patched version doesn't work on CPC+. However, the risk remains minimal. It would be a huge bad luck  ;)

If it had the keyboard issue, it wouldn't work on the GX either because joypads are effectively part of the keyboard as far as the CPC/Plus is concerned. A dodgy keyscan routine would have the same issue reading the joystick state.

The only place it might be a downside is if the controls have had to be fudged across multiple joypads to work on the GX, where they might have previously had a more keyboard centric layout. It won't stop it working, it just might be more clunky.

iXien

Quote from: andycadley on 10:35, 27 January 21

If it had the keyboard issue, it wouldn't work on the GX either because joypads are effectively part of the keyboard as far as the CPC/Plus is concerned. A dodgy keyscan routine would have the same issue reading the joystick state.

The only place it might be a downside is if the controls have had to be fudged across multiple joypads to work on the GX, where they might have previously had a more keyboard centric layout. It won't stop it working, it just might be more clunky.
In theory, you're right. But I have in mind some games that wasn't compatible with CPC+ I wanted to try on GX-4000, just to show. And some worked (not patched so not fully playable of course). Maybe it was another problem that CPC+ and GX-4000 don't share. But it shown me that some games incompatible on CPC+ could be compatible natively on GX-4000. So we can't exclude that some patched games for GX-4000 are based on CPC games that don't work on CPC+ (at least the version used to be patched).

dragon

There are some varius type of incompatibility beetwen old range an plus series when related to cartridge conversion.

1) keyboard subroutines not working due to the ppi cut implementation.
2) games that uses firmware calls that amstrad change the address  in the plus firmware. So it need readressed ñ.

3)games that not use the firmware functions to access the fdd and it uses Fdd low access. No$cart can't pach it. So it need make a full new loader for the cartridge if a hacker don't made one in the 80's firmware friendly.

4) no$cart don't patch copy protections. So many originals not hacked need new loader/hacking.

5)games so bugged in old cpc range that are pathced to fully work as dan dare 2 or lemmings for example.

6)some incompatibility in rom initialization that made it not work in plus range.

7) some obscure  use of the floating bus. That made it fail in plus range. (only one game made it from now.).