News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Regarding World Games - there's one here... the second one was repacked on one side. Not sure if it requires 128k though but might be worth checking?
https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/world_games.htm

Edit: Don't waste your time. I tried it on my M4 with an unexpanded CPC464 and it restarts after loading the first file. :(
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 21:31, 04 February 21
The main problem is to have all the files on a CPR as Winter Games is a two sided games while California Games have been compressed on one side without needing 128Kb in some cracked version. Personally, I like World Games very much. But same problem.
I'm afraid about the gameplay too. Some disciplines need to shake the joystick... it's more difficult to shake a joypad  :P

also

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 09:58, 05 February 21Not sure how convenient this is, but the cassette version of Winter Games was split into 4 parts which could easily be split across 4 CPR'sI could probably convert it over using the Bonzo utilities to dsk images.It wouldn't be elegant, but it's better than not having it at all?Edit: CPC-Power has a one sided dsk crack of Winter Games, it's the first one listed here: https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=1743

I'm a bit confused here, I did " Winter Games " ages a go, it's on the Converted GX4000 Software page.  ;D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Phantomz on 14:46, 05 February 21
I'm a bit confused here, I did " Winter Games " ages a go, it's on the Converted GX4000 Software page.  ;D

I saw Gunhed's original post and just assumed it hadn't been done yet.  :laugh: :picard:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Hey, and what if it is our happiness to talk about things without any interest?  :laugh:

But World Games hasn't been converted yet (ok, I verified before my post)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 15:56, 05 February 21
Hey, and what if it is our happiness to talk about things without any interest?  :laugh:

But World Games hasn't been converted yet (ok, I verified before my post)

Newschool cracking might allow for this to work under 64k one sided.
Hey @Nich - Feel like a challenge? World Games, 64k on one side of a disk?  ;) :D

GUNHED

Sorry, I lost oversight. Should have checked if Wintergames is there or not. Just didn't remember. My bad.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

remax

also

Yeah, i was wondering too...

I remember playing it on my gx4000 (i used a Competition pro as joystick).
Brain Radioactivity

iXien

Quote from: remax on 22:09, 07 February 21

Yeah, i was wondering too...

I remember playing it on my gx4000 (i used a Competition pro as joystick).
The good old time when "joy stick" had a real mean!  :P
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 10:18, 10 February 21
The good old time when "joy stick" had a real mean!  :P

Still does for some of us! I still use my Quickshot Maverick 2 button stick on my GX! :D

Phantomz

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:17, 10 February 21Still does for some of us! I still use my Quickshot Maverick 2 button stick on my GX!

Same here. :)

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:54, 10 February 21
Same here. :)
Seems that the Maverick 2 has become the nicest opportunity to use an arcade stick on CPC/GX-4000 (and all the western 8/16bit computers, clearly). Personally, the lack of table to play games led me to use joypads on every systems. And when I want to bring back the good old time, so I plug my faithful Speedking (the one with 2 buttons and autofire), for me the best controller of all time for sure!  8)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 20:07, 10 February 21
Seems that the Maverick 2 has become the nicest opportunity to use an arcade stick on CPC/GX-4000 (and all the western 8/16bit computers, clearly). Personally, the lack of table to play games led me to use joypads on every systems. And when I want to bring back the good old time, so I plug my faithful Speedking (the one with 2 buttons and autofire), for me the best controller of all time for sure!  8)

Ladies and gentlemen, if we get no posts from iXien in the next few days, don't panic. His hand just cramped and is stuck in a claw like position from using one of those bastard sticks!  :laugh:

Davor Vitief

I am still playing with my trusty joystick JY3, a classic.  8)

Gryzor

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 10:41, 12 February 21
I am still playing with my trusty joystick JY3, a classic.  8)

The news here is, I believe, that a JYx still works.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:48, 12 February 21
The news here is, I believe, that a JYx still works.

Until it gets 90 minutes worth of playtime...  :laugh:

ukmarkh

It's a shame that new games like Sword of Ianna and many more can't be run as .cpr files, as love running games through my GX4000 with C4CPC.

Just wanted to say "thanks" to all who have contributed to an already amazing .cpr library of games. My kids are absolutely loving the GX4000 with access to all these games.

Would also like to add that I've tried every version of Renegade on the GX with modified controls, but I just can't get to grips with it - Am I doing something wrong as would love to play it again.

Thx     

Gryzor

You're not wrong - a GX with a multicart solution and all these conversion files is an amazing way to have so many great games at your fingertips...

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:29, 12 February 21
You're not wrong - a GX with a multicart solution and all these conversion files is an amazing way to have so many great games at your fingertips...

He who invents this next upgrade or improvement for the GX4000 will become very comfortable in this life and the next ;-) 

Gryzor

I'd better get to work because I still haven't won the lottery.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:21, 12 February 21
It's a shame that new games like Sword of Ianna and many more can't be run as .cpr files, as love running games through my GX4000 with C4CPC.

It's catch 22. People want 128k games, then the same people gripe about them not running on the GX4000 due to it's 64k limitation.
I find it amusing because back in the day, it was the lack of 128k games that were driving everyone insane.

There's no win really.  :laugh:

Phantomz

SUMMER GAMES

Console Pause Button to pass " Opening  Ceremony ".

You can use both Joypads on the Menu.
Enter names with Joypad 2 UP = 1, LEFT =2, RIGHT = 3, DOWN = 4.
Therefore can enter names as 1, 2, 3, 4.
Use Joypad 2 Button 1 to confirm, Button 2 is delete if make a mistake.
Press Joypad 2 Button 1 when you have enough player/s (on name entry).
Joypad UP and DOWN to change " Is this correct? ", Button 1 to confirm.

Console Pause Button to QUIT.

Nich

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:02, 05 February 21
Newschool cracking might allow for this to work under 64k one sided.
Hey @Nich - Feel like a challenge? World Games, 64k on one side of a disk?  ;) :D

Yes. :) I've managed to produce a 64K-compatible crack of World Games and you can download it from NVG.

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:53, 11 February 21
Ladies and gentlemen, if we get no posts from iXien in the next few days, don't panic. His hand just cramped and is stuck in a claw like position from using one of those bastard sticks!  :laugh:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I think I really love Speedking because it's totally indestructible and it's response time is mind blowing, really. I can fly from beginning to end of each Rick Dangerous games eye blinded with it. But I can understand that it's hard to love one of these sticks that need to be held in the palm of the hand if we did not get used to it at the time. Navigator was interesting too. But Speedking remains the best for me in its 2 button version with autofire.

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:31, 12 February 21
It's catch 22. People want 128k games, then the same people gripe about them not running on the GX4000 due to it's 64k limitation.
I find it amusing because back in the day, it was the lack of 128k games that were driving everyone insane.

There's no win really.  :laugh:
Funny, yes  :P   The 64Kb limit of the CPC464 ended up being interesting to convert many games to the GX-4000. But if the 6128 and its 128kb of RAM might have become the norm at the time, the 464+  would probably never have seen the light of day and the GX-4000 would have been equipped with 128Kb of RAM.
More pragmatically (we're not going to rewrite history), I think that a very good add-on for GX-4000 would be a 64Kb expansion as some very good games require 128Kb RAM and a lot of 64kb compatible games take part of extra RAM. With 128kb on my GX-4000, I could play straight away with the music in The Untouchables or Lemmings actual patched versions and enjoy the vocal digits in Dragon Ninja. We could convert the complete version of Shinobi with musics and SFX, and play the great Double Dragon and Titan! It's just a few examples  ;D .

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 11:36, 15 February 21
Funny, yes  :P   The 64Kb limit of the CPC464 ended up being interesting to convert many games to the GX-4000. But if the 6128 and its 128kb of RAM might have become the norm at the time, the 464+  would probably never have seen the light of day and the GX-4000 would have been equipped with 128Kb of RAM.
More pragmatically (we're not going to rewrite history), I think that a very good add-on for GX-4000 would be a 64Kb expansion as some very good games require 128Kb RAM and a lot of 64kb compatible games take part of extra RAM. With 128kb on my GX-4000, I could play straight away with the music in The Untouchables or Lemmings actual patched versions and enjoy the vocal digits in Dragon Ninja. We could convert the complete version of Shinobi with musics and SFX, and play the great Double Dragon! It's just a few examples.

Not fully sure I agree with 128k being the norm. The 128K Commodore machine didn't exactly take off and blaze any trails. I can understand Amstrad keeping the 64k machines, it was a low cost alternative which would have helped boost sales. No incentive to upgrade from a CPC464 to a 464+ but still a viable starter machine for 1990.

I'm not sure an upgrade would actually be possible for the GX... the board is tight enough as it is with IC's, and I don't think the cartridge slot would register extra RAM. I could be wrong on that second part though.