News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Whoooo, I had no success with my last post  :P

@Phantomz ? Not interesting in that new Shinobi version? Or a 64K Double Dragon?
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:55, 15 February 21In fairness, games that actually took advantage of the 128k functions were few and far between on the Amstrad.

Hearing Robocop recite his orders... priceless :D

Nich

Quote from: iXien on 15:47, 17 February 21
Dragon Ninja and Robocop crack menus are similar and very smart as they automatically hide the choice of the memory version on systems with only 64Kb. What is more mysterious is why the menus offer this choice as the games themselves automatically recognize the RAM available to load voice digits of not.

I believe these are my cracks. I include this option for 128K users so they can compare the differences between the 64K and 128K versions.

iXien

Quote from: Nich on 18:42, 23 February 21
I believe these are my cracks. I include this option for 128K users so they can compare the differences between the 64K and 128K versions.
Thank you for the explanation about this detail  ;)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 13:42, 18 February 21Other idea, developed by the same guy, the Binary Design version of Double Dragon is originally 128K only. But I'm wondering if it would be possible to offer to GX-4000 the same kind of patched version as Shinobi, becoming 64K compatible with no music/sfx? I didn't see it anywhere but maybe this kind of version already exists for CPC464? The Dro Soft adaptation is so dule compared to the good work of Richard Aplin for Binary Design, even without sound it would be far better  :P

Doubt this is possible. While Shinobi was actually designed to be 64k compatible sans sound, The Aplin version of Double Dragon never had that luxury.
The fact that it never even saw a cassette release says it all.

We discussed this at length a good few years back on the forum: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/the-double-dragon-mystery/
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

rhoads5150

Quote from: iXien on 20:16, 20 February 21
Whoooo, I had no success with my last post  :P

@Phantomz ? Not interesting in that new Shinobi version? Or a 64K Double Dragon?

If you want the Shinobi remake on CPR format, here it is.

I haven't tested it on a GX4000, but it works fine on my 6128Plus with C4CPC

ukmarkh

Quote from: rhoads5150 on 12:44, 24 February 21

I'll test it now...  ;)

ukmarkh

Works great on GX4000, using C4CPC, but no music or sound effects ;-)

iXien

I feel so silly that I haven't seen for myself that the game can be directly converted to CPR without any patch (P for Pause and you can enter your name using joypad in highscore table)  :D

But your version lack the cheat options so here is a new release that include the same cheat menu as the original patched version from @dragon . As a bonus, the cheat options have been translated to English for the ones that don't understand my beloved French language, and with some informations about how to seize them  8)

Nice enhanced version from fmtrx, new colors and slightly upgraded GFX are really welcome here.

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 23:51, 24 February 21I feel so silly that I haven't seen for myself that the game can be directly converted to CPR without any patch (P for Pause and you can enter your name using joypad in highscore table) 

@iXien The game needs the spacebar remapping to Joypad 1 Button 2, for Ninja Magic.

I haven't got the time to look at the game at the moment, I think @dragon version is the same and needs a fix.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 13:00, 25 February 21
@iXien The game needs the spacebar remapping to Joypad 1 Button 2, for Ninja Magic.

I haven't got the time to look at the game at the moment, I think @dragon version is the same and needs a fix.
Ok, It was too much simple for sure  ;) . Maybe @dragon or @Urusergi can fix it if you have no time? If not, then I will keep this in memory and I will remind later ;D

Davor Vitief

I have a triple petition ::) , i have converted Aspar GP Master (a motorcycle racing game), The Brick (an advanced Arkanoid) and Emilio Butragueno (a Tehkan World Cup style soccer game) to cpr format in case someone is interested in adapting them to GX4000.

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 09:32, 24 February 21

Doubt this is possible. While Shinobi was actually designed to be 64k compatible sans sound, The Aplin version of Double Dragon never had that luxury.
The fact that it never even saw a cassette release says it all.

We discussed this at length a good few years back on the forum: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/the-double-dragon-mystery/
I carefuly read this topic and I have to admit it wasn't really interesting  ;D  No real informations, basically speculations and words from guys that talk with lot of stars in the eyes concerning the version they play. Objectively, Spanish version is beautiful with interesting little sprites but so slow it isn't playable, the Richard APLIN's version uses converted sprites and backgrounds from the arcade that offer the original proportions with questionable colors, yes, but is far faster and playable. As gameplay will always be the more important in gaming, Richard APLIN's version wins the round.

I'm not sure it coudn't become 64k compatible without music and SFX as it is for Shinobi but it's true that the code itself needs lot of memory as he talk about here : https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=1926

But the fact the game didn't have a 64k conversion like Shinobi isn't a clue (imo, of course). Indeed, there is only one version of Shinobi. So if Virgin Games wanted to sell a tape version of this one they had no other choice but to find a a trick to make it run with 64k. Removing music and sounds is certainly not a very elegant method, but it is effective because it immediately saves a lot of memory (Loadings are just awful on tape too). With Double Dragon, they didn't have to apply such a trick as they already had a 64k compatible version. Clearly, the Richard APLIN's version of Double Dragon is a complete UFO. ST, Amiga and 64k version on CPC are clearly designed using the same material. Why the hell Virgin Games asked to APLIN to make another version and finally accepted to let him make it 128k only compatible is a mystery. It's just understandable by the fact the 64k version was near to be finished too and it was easy for them to put this version in the tape version without any need to hack another one. What is weird is that there is only one international packaging of the game only showing screens from the 64k version. I suppose it was disturbing for the people that wanted to buy the game for their 6128. They was not sure to buy the right game as screenshots on the box were different than the one of the version tested in magazines.

And so one can wonder if the same trick as Shinobi could work with Richard APLIN's version of Double Dragon since it is the same type of code. But maybe it would be interesting to make a try if it permits to play it on GX-4000  ;) .

Where you're absolutly right on the Double Dragon topic is that I think like you that the 64k version haven't been distributed by Virgin as standalone. As far as I know, I never seen a tape version of the game besides the budget releases in England. In France, I never saw the 64k version anywhere back in the days. Only the 6128 version on disc, and the success of the 6128 in France can explain the disc version has finally been the only one distributed (Micromania catalogs listed the tape version at 99frs, but this would not have been the first time that a game would have been listed and then canceled at a reseller) 

As a bonus, another nice interview of Richard APLIN : http://retroasylum.com/an-interview-with-richard-aplin/

Shaun M. Neary

You're forgetting something important. Virgin didn't originally get the licence for Double Dragon. Melbourne House did. Other 8bit versions came out almost two years before the Dro Soft (MH) version of DD even surfaced for the Amstrad. It was close to 1990 by the time the Virgin release of DD actually surfaced. I couldn't tell you the ins and out as to how Virgin got the license, probably came with a bundle deal once they got the license to do DDII but that's a swift presumption on my part.

The packaging was already done before the Aplin version, it's similar to the Melbourne House version. All they had to do was remove the MH logo and slap a Amstrad Disc sticker on it.

I never saw the Melbourne House release as a standalone. God knows I hunted for it high and low after other versions had been released. 100% Dynamite was the compilation I first saw it on. I wasn't even aware there was a 128k version of it until about 1995! (That would be when I was introduced to the internet... and a whole new world of additional information!)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Maniac

Melbourne House was purchased by Mastertronic who in turn merged with Virgin Games to form Virgin Mastertronic. In doing so they would have acquired the licenses (that were still valid) that Melbourne House had.

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:31, 26 February 21
You're forgetting something important. Virgin didn't originally get the licence for Double Dragon. Melbourne House did. Other 8bit versions came out almost two years before the Dro Soft (MH) version of DD even surfaced for the Amstrad. It was close to 1990 by the time the Virgin release of DD actually surfaced. I couldn't tell you the ins and out as to how Virgin got the license, probably came with a bundle deal once they got the license to do DDII but that's a swift presumption on my part.

The packaging was already done before the Aplin version, it's similar to the Melbourne House version. All they had to do was remove the MH logo and slap a Amstrad Disc sticker on it.

I never saw the Melbourne House release as a standalone. God knows I hunted for it high and low after other versions had been released. 100% Dynamite was the compilation I first saw it on. I wasn't even aware there was a 128k version of it until about 1995! (That would be when I was introduced to the internet... and a whole new world of additional information!)
Question of licences usually explain weird things with movie/arcade game adaptations back in the days. What is interesting is that (as far as I know) in France magazines only reviewed the 128k version. As magazines were my only information resources and as I had the opportunity to get a hand on this version, personally I never new about this little 64k version until the internet rising  :D

Quote from: Maniac on 11:47, 26 February 21Melbourne House was purchased by Mastertronic who in turn merged with Virgin Games to form Virgin Mastertronic. In doing so they would have acquired the licenses (that were still valid) that Melbourne House had.
That's what APLIN tells himself and confirm in the interview on Retro Asylum website. The reason why they didn't just commercialize the spanish 64k version remains mysterious...

Note: sorry to everyone for those off-topic exchanges  8)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 11:57, 26 February 21The reason why they didn't just commercialize the spanish 64k version remains mysterious...

Only the CPC version. The Speccy one did. The reason why I bring this up is that the code is almost identical. Think it was the same guys behind both.

Phantomz

@Davor Vitief

I did.....

Buitre - Emilio Butragueno Futbol

Sometime ago, had forgotten to upload it, If I remember I changed it to english and remapped controls to both Joypads by default, console pause button to pause and unpause, can also unpause with joypad 2 if I remember correctly.

ukmarkh

I wonder if Star control could be added to GX4000, that was a great little game.

rhoads5150

I also converted Double Dragon II, but the "good" Richard Aplin's version, not that abomination that Dro Soft launched in Spain.

However, the Aplin version was 128K only, so I don't think it'll load on the GX4000. It works perfectly on my 6128Plus

iXien

Quote from: rhoads5150 on 22:35, 26 February 21
I also converted Double Dragon II, but the "good" Richard Aplin's version, not that abomination that Dro Soft launched in Spain.

However, the Aplin version was 128K only, so I don't think it'll load on the GX4000. It works perfectly on my 6128Plus
Have you patched keyboard keys to allow the second player to use the second joypad ?

rhoads5150

Quote from: iXien on 18:12, 27 February 21
Have you patched keyboard keys to allow the second player to use the second joypad ?

No, I don't know how to do that

iXien

Quote from: rhoads5150 on 18:15, 27 February 21

No, I don't know how to do that
No problem, I'm not really talented in this exercise too  :D

But don't forget this topic is dedicated to GX-4000 conversions. Lot of games that are not already available can be converted to CPR, but they will remain unplayable on GX-4000 until more talented guys than us like @dragon , @Phantomz , @Urusergi and all the other ones involved take time to patch them to be fully playable just using one or two joypads.
There is of course some interest in converting games to CPR to play them on CPC+, like fast loadings (particularly for 464+ owners) or having tons of games available without needing a GOTEK drive, etc... but it is not the main subject of these pages, particularly for games needing 128K (we were talking recently with @Phantomz about the fact that patching 128k games or specific versions of games wasn't interesting unless an easy way to upgrade the RAM of the GX-4000 will be available).

That said, I would love to be able to play all the APLIN games on our beloved GX-4000  :P  Maybe one day, who knows  ::)

Dinorast

Can maybe Archon and Archon 2 be converted ? It would be fantastic, especially if the 2-Player modus could be used. A perfect head to head game on a console

iXien

Quote from: Dinorast on 13:48, 02 March 21
Can maybe Archon and Archon 2 be converted ? It would be fantastic, especially if the 2-Player modus could be used. A perfect head to head game on a console
I totally agree with you and I had already prepared clean version of each game of the series but they need to be patched to be played from joypad 2 for player 2 and some other keys (including navigation in Archon 2 menu). In case that someone interested (clean versions but I didn't manage to patch them)   8)