News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo Kazuki and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

dragon

Yeap anyway convert xor games is relative easy.
Xor always use the same compression subrutine,these subrutine not write in ram so is cartridge friendly. (because cartridge was rom and only can be read).

The "trick" was copy the decompresssion subrutine to the cartridge. And change the compression subrutine in disk so instead of decompress things they call to the cartridge where the copy subrutine was.
Then even time xor decompress something it call the decompresion subrutine in the cartridge.

So you have access the code even time is decompressed in ram and you only need patch it at fly with a litte extra code in the decompression subrutine little and easy code.

thats the theory.

Davor Vitief

Quote from: Phantomz on 12:11, 08 May 21
@Davor Vitief  @iXien

I've looked at Hudson Hawk, but I can't do this game, the reason being is due to compression.  :doh:

Maybe at @Urusergi or @dragon could do this one if they have the time and feel like it.
No problem and thank you for looking into it!
Did you try to convert the game Aspar? i forgot completely about it because i asked for it together with the Butragueño soccer game that you also adapted.

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 18:29, 08 May 21
No problem and thank you for looking into it!
Did you try to convert the game Aspar? i forgot completely about it because i asked for it together with the Butragueño soccer game that you also adapted.

@Davor Vitief

No problem, hopefully dragon will get it sorted for you. :)

If I remember, I did look at Aspar, but stopped, think I couldn't see how to do the level codes or something if I remember correctly.

Phantomz

@Captain Past

Quote from: Captain Past on 12:22, 08 May 21Is it possible to convert Dragon Spirit? That game would be so much better with 2nd button support.

Here is.....

DRAGON SPIRIT

Press Console Pause Button to Skip XOR Cracktro, I've included a skipped version.
Joypad 1 Button 2 for Bombs ;)
Console Pause Button to Pause, Joypad 1 Button 1 to Unpause
Joypad 2 Button 1 to Quit
Joypad 2 Button 2 to Flip Screen.

O and P, changed to U and I for PLUS machines.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:08, 08 May 21
@Captain Past

Here is.....

DRAGON SPIRIT

Press Console Pause Button to Skip XOR Cracktro, I've included a skipped version.
Joypad 1 Button 2 for Bombs ;)
Console Pause Button to Pause, Joypad 1 Button 1 to Unpause
Joypad 2 Button 1 to Quit
Joypad 2 Button 2 to Flip Screen.

O and P, changed to U and I for PLUS machines.
And it's fabulous once again! (And now we know that you're able to patch XOR compressed cracked games  :P
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 21:12, 08 May 21
And it's fabulous once again! (And now we know that you're able to patch XOR compressed cracked games  :P

Nope! as wasn't compressed lol  ;D

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:14, 08 May 21

Nope! as wasn't compressed lol  ;D
:D :D :D :D :D

Good idea the cracktro music skipped version (And we can launch tetris to ear the Tetris music, isn't it?  8)   )
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Captain Past

Phantomz

I watched @Novabug live game testing last night which I enjoyed.

I don't always get chance to watch it live, but I enjoy watching it when I do.

Anyway, Novabug tested a game last night which I think would make a great two player game on the GX4000 so thought would get it sorted out.

Here is....

THE RACE

The game is now Joypads only.

Joypad 1 UP or DOWN to select one or two Players.
Console Pause Button to Pause, unpause.
Joypad Button 1 to Accelerate, Down to Brake, Button 2 for Turbo.
Use Console Pause Button or Joypad 2 to pass highscore table.

I've included a poked version with Infinte Time.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 20:53, 09 May 21

Anyway, Novabug tested a game last night which I think would make a great two player game on the GX4000 so thought would get it sorted out.

Here is....

THE RACE

Totally unknown, like a lot of these budget games from Mastertronic, Player Premier, etc... Particularly in France. Thank you for the discover. The game seems to be fun, based on the Led Storm concept but for two players and without any other cars, just obstacles to avoid. Have you seen the explosion of the car is made with multiple '0" character?  ;D

zeropolis79

I read once the budget market wasn't a thing in France - was that true?

iXien

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 08:26, 10 May 21I read once the budget market wasn't a thing in France - was that true?
Some publishers spread some games from Codemasters or Mastertronic but more generally, there was no budget collections in France. All these games you were buying directly at low costs (less than 10£) or famous games distributed with different visuals in standard crystal tape cases, it was near to totally unknown here in France  8) .

But a lot of standard games were offered at low price after some months of distribution and we have systems to download games at the cost of a phone communication (so, low cost) connecting our CPC to a terminal called Minitel in France. French publishers also distributed lot of compilations in addition to the ones of English companies as Gremlin or Ocean.

By the way, lot of games weren't distributed in France and remain unknown for french players if not collected through piracy  :D . I remember how I was surprised discovering that the NAMCO game MOTOS had been converted to CPC finding it on a floppy disk a friend of mine gave me in the playground of my school. In fact, this game had never been published in France because it was published in England directly in the low cost M.A.D. collection of Mastertronic.

After the end of the CPC era and the rise of Internet, emulators and great websites as CPC Power, CPC Rulez, CPC Reviews, we french CPC lovers discovered so much little gems  ::)  !

zeropolis79

Quote from: iXien on 12:35, 10 May 21
After the end of the CPC era and the rise of Internet, emulators and great websites as CPC Power, CPC Rulez, CPC Reviews, we french CPC lovers discovered so much little gems  ::)  !

Worked both ways as they've helped UK CPC lovers find out about the gems never seen in the UK.

iXien

Ok @Phantomz , let me make a suggestion  ;)  MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS !

A real little gem from Core Design, a very inventive platform game that offers various gameplays, sub-games and a lot of secrets. Very underrated. I buy this one in 1990 and it was so fabulous, fun and clever, exactly as the Monty Python's world. I really advice everyone to read the instruction manual you can download on CPC-Power, totally crazy and hilarious. You're in the Monty Python's atmosphere from the main screen with the words of the title which mixes, the floating hand pointing to PRESS FIRE TO START but there is no other function to move on and of course the score that begins from 99999999. You can recognize the work of the team behind the CPC versions on Rick Dangerous I & 2 and Impossamole. Gameplay is very responsive, GFX very nice and zany, only SFX are a little bit discret and there is no ingame music (like Impossamole). But really a fun game. 

I attached the CNGSoft version. The XOR crack offers a level selector but has a little bug, the floating hand that normally points to PRESS FIRE TO START doesn't appear, a bug that is not present in the CNGSoft version.

CNGSoft cheat has to be remapped. Ingame, P already pauses the game and ESC returns to main screen. But I suppose it would be more safe to remap quit key on PAUSE button and pause mode to J1B2.

Say yes, say yes (one again  :P )...

Davor Vitief

Quote from: Phantomz on 20:53, 09 May 21

Here is....

THE RACE

Thanks for porting this game, it works well but i have found a bug i think, playing 2P when the players push the accelerator (button 1) at the same time both players can move both cars, theirs and his opponent one.

Gryzor

Quote from: iXien on 20:11, 11 May 21
Ok @Phantomz , let me make a suggestion  ;)  MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS !

Oh yes, wholeheartedly agree. Always loved this game, and it's really successful in bringing Monty Python to the CPC.

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 21:34, 11 May 21
Thanks for porting this game, it works well but i have found a bug i think, playing 2P when the players push the accelerator (button 1) at the same time both players can move both cars, theirs and his opponent one.

Odd! Anyone else getting this problem?

I can only test in emulation at the moment, I'm not getting the problem in winape or MESS.  ???

Davor Vitief

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:25, 12 May 21

I can only test in emulation at the moment, I'm not getting the problem in winaoe or MESS.  ???
you are right, its my system fault  :-X . I tried Pang and when both players hold button 1 or 2 simultaneously each control pad moves both characters, any help is welcome  ???

Phantomz

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 15:41, 12 May 21
you are right, its my system fault  :-X . I tried Pang and when both players hold button 1 or 2 simultaneously each control pad moves both characters, any help is welcome  ???

Sorry to hear this.  :(

Hopefully one of the clever hardware members on here might be able to tell you what might be wrong.  ::)

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:25, 12 May 21

I can only test in emulation at the moment, I'm not getting the problem in winape or MESS.  ???
I can confirm, no problem for me on real system.

iXien

Quote from: Davor Vitief on 15:41, 12 May 21
As @Phantomz , sorry to hear that. It's always sad when a GX-4000 is broken, not to mention that it's maybe your only GX-4000  :-X

Davor Vitief

Thanks, I asked at the technical support board. :fingers crossed:

Phantomz

@iXien

Monty Python's Flying Circus

I've had a look at " Monty Python's Flying Circus ", both the CNG and XOR have compression, therefore I can't change the Pause and Quit Buttons.  ::)

The Hand does work on the XOR version, just isn't there when you first begin, start a game and quit or die, you see it there when return to the main screen.

I've made the Trainer work on the CNG version and changed the text, so that's good to go.

I've also made the Trainer work on the XOR version, but can't change the text, the buttons are as follows,
1=1, 2=2, U=1, L=2, R=3, D=4

I've included both versions in the rar

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:54, 12 May 21
Maybe at @Urusergi , @dragon might sort out the pause and quit buttons and XOR trainer when they have time
The Hand does work on the XOR version, just isn't there when you first begin, start a game and quit or die, you see it there when return to the main screen.
Of course it would be great to be exaustive. But personnally, I never considered a quit key as an interesting feature, particularly when it just permits to return to a main screen without options to modify  :D . Luckily, P is already mapped to pause the game (what is a nice feature  8) )

I'm really happy this game is now available on GX-4000 thanks to you, it's a really nice one. Many thanks!

iXien

@Gryzor Catch your joypad, turn on your GX-4000 and take a nice part of cheese, it's time to throw some fish !

As Mr. Gumby says : MY BRAIN HURTS!  :laugh: