News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 12:07, 03 August 21I see that Nocart can convert expanded DSK files but I don't manage to do that.

I can have a play around and see if I have more success?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:08, 03 August 21

I can have a play around and see if I have more success?
I would be fine. But I don't know if @Phantomz , @Urusergi or @dragon already tried and successed or failed. Maybe we are wasting time.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

gerald

The deal is that nocart only package the DSK and patch system call to read from ROM instead of disk. So the limit is set by AMSDOS which is 40 tracks on single sided disk.
For double sided disk or 80 tracks we need to use something else like a patched prarados.

iXien

Quote from: gerald on 12:18, 03 August 21
The deal is that nocart only package the DSK and patch system call to read from ROM instead of disk. So the limit is set by AMSDOS which is 40 tracks on single sided disk.
For double sided disk or 80 tracks we need to use something else like a patched prarados.
Many thanks @gerald for these explanations  :)

So I'm puzzling how @dragon managed to convert Lemmings on GX-4000 as I never saw a cracked version on a single side, the game requires both sides of the disk.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: gerald on 12:18, 03 August 21The deal is that nocart only package the DSK and patch system call to read from ROM instead of disk. So the limit is set by AMSDOS which is 40 tracks on single sided disk. For double sided disk or 80 tracks we need to use something else like a patched prarados.

Isn't there some sort of patched ParaDOS rom on the wiki somewhere where we can just rename and throw it into the nocart directory?
(I could be wrong)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

@iXien This seems to work in an emulator.

You'll need to fix the controls yourself though!

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 13:52, 03 August 21
@iXien This seems to work in an emulator.

You'll need to fix the controls yourself though!
Is this CPR contains all the files of both sides?

Phantomz

I did that too, all files from the CNG version fit into a 60 track disk, however, it doesn't work in winape in plus mode, so believe needs a plus fix.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:04, 03 August 21
I did that too, all files from the CNG version fit into a 60 track disk, however, it doesn't work in winape in plus mode, so believe needs a plus fix.
It would have been too simple  :D  But I just tested on my 6128+ and the CNGSoft version seems to work for me as a CPR file.

And as we search for a solution for Twinworld, any idea to modify the nice GX-4000 version of Super Cycle to invert control buttons and d-pad  8) ?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 14:59, 03 August 21
Is this CPR contains all the files of both sides?

Yep, it fits on a single sided 256k disk image.

Phantomz

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:27, 03 August 21

Isn't there some sort of patched ParaDOS rom on the wiki somewhere where we can just rename and throw it into the nocart directory?
(I could be wrong)

A new version of nocart that supports ParaDos to let us use 80 track disks would be a great help, it would open the door for more versions of the games to be looked at that maybe don't have compression in the way.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 16:07, 03 August 21

A new version of nocart that supports ParaDos to let us use 80 track disks would be a great help, it would open the door for more versions of the games to be looked at that maybe don't have compression in the way.
Yep, after converting more than 600 games with the standard features of Nocart, it would be great to be able to start to have a look on all the CPC games that are awaiting just because they need more than the 178Kb of a single floppy disk side. But as I'm thinking of it, is it necessary to patch Nocart? After all, il uses the ROM available in the directory as you launch a conversion. What would happen if you replace the standard amsdos.rom by the Parados one?

But is there any chance you can patch this Twinworld CPR whereas it's a compressed version from CNGSoft  ;D  [size=78%]?[/size]

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 17:31, 03 August 21
But is there any chance you can patch this Twinworld CPR whereas it's a compressed version from CNGSoft  ;D  [size=78%]?[/size]

I'll look when I get some free time, I'll have to run the disk version in normal cpc mode in winape to be able to use the debugger, can't use in plus mode as locks up.

If I find the keys in winape, hopefully can find and make the changes in the cpr if compression doesn't cause problems.

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 17:39, 03 August 21

I'll look when I get some free time, I'll have to run the disk version in normal cpc mode in winape to be able to use the debugger, can't use in plus mode as locks up. If I find the keys in winape, hopefully can find and make the changes in the cpr if compression doesn't cause problems.
I suppose the second joypad will be required as there is 3 keys to remap ingame : spacebar to change weapon, P to pause game and H to call the shopkeeper. That's weird the game hooks up for you on WinAPE. Personnally, game's perfectly working on WinAPE using CPR version, or I'm wrong with the configuration?

Phantomz

No idea what's going on, maybe some setting is causing an issue, I get stuck on the game menu, numbers not working, so can't start game.

I'm puzzled, just downloaded the emulator, still got the problem, what version are you using?

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 18:12, 03 August 21
No idea what's going on, maybe some setting is causing an issue, I get stuck on the game menu, numbers not working, so can't start game.

I'm puzzled, just downloaded the emulator, still got the problem, what version are you using?
I'm using WinApe 2.0beta and the CPR prepared by @Shaun M. Neary . It works on WinApe and on my real CPC+. Would like to try on the GX-4000 too but impossible to reach even the main menu until the cheat menu is remapped.

Phantomz

Figured it out, had to untick " Plus PPI Emulation "  :)

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 18:40, 03 August 21
Figured it out, had to untick " Plus PPI Emulation "  :)
I was making a screen capture to show you my general configs and yes, "Plus PPI emulation" is unselected  ;D

iXien

Quote from: pmeier on 14:22, 31 July 21
Hi,
I have patched Beyond The Ice Palace and added a nice menu to choose the number of buttons and pokes.
I also have hacked the game: If you choose two or three buttons, it's possible to jump in front of a ladder. So joy-up is always climb and fire2 is always jump. IHMO That's the way it's meant to be played.
The zip contains .dsk and .cpr. I have tested it on my real 464 and the Plus version in WinAPE. For the Plus version I'm not sure if it works correctly on real hardware. I have read the notes about the current version, that there were some problems. (So if you tell me how to add a palette fix...)
Credits go to Looker (crack)
A very nice version. Just took time to end it again after so many years (with invulnerability, you can easily imagine  8) ). It was a so wonderful game. The main interest of your version is the direct mapping of the jump key on fire 2. But there is still a flaw. In the hi-score table, we need to use fire 2 to go up in the matrix of letters too  ;) . Nevertheless, well done.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 19:57, 03 August 21
A very nice version. Just took time to end it again after so many years (with invulnerability, you can easily imagine  8) ). It was a so wonderful game. The main interest of your version is the direct mapping of the jump key on fire 2. But there is still a flaw. In the hi-score table, we need to use fire 2 to go up in the matrix of letters too  ;) . Nevertheless, well done.

Heh I can actually finish this without cheats 😃

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:01, 03 August 21

Heh I can actually finish this without cheats 😃
Didn't try without cheats since ages. It's a great CPC game for its time but collision detection is as too often in CPC games totally broken and I have no courage to try to finish without cheats so punitive games in 2021  :P

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 20:13, 03 August 21
Didn't try without cheats since ages. It's a great CPC game for its time but collision detection is as too often in CPC games totally broken and I have no courage to try to finish without cheats so punitive games in 2021  :P

Didn't think the CD is that bad in the game, now sometimes the joystick response can be a bit iffy. Maybe I just got used to it.

For what it's worth I only finished it for the first time a couple of years ago, but I've done it a few times since.  :)

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:22, 03 August 21

Didn't think the CD is that bad in the game, now sometimes the joystick response can be a bit iffy. Maybe I just got used to it.

For what it's worth I only finished it for the first time a couple of years ago, but I've done it a few times since.  :)
Finding a good balance between technical achievement and good gameplay was a real challenge for game developers by the time on CPC. A lot of beautiful games are totally unplayable while others are technically less ambitious but remain so fun to play. I keep good remembers around Beyond The Ice Palace but I always had this impression that the character doesn't jump to the height that would allow him to really measure himself against many enemies who seem to fall on the character without being able to do anything because of his small jumps. And this habit in many platform games of the time of not letting the player control the way when the character jumps. All of this helps to make the game frustrating without cheats for me.
I suppose we can get over these flaws with time but I think about other games in which I don't remember complaining like this about the gameplay even when I was a child. Games such as Cybernoid 1 & 2, Netherworld, Bomb Jack and many others, luckily. In these ones, I knew that I lost my last life because I clearly failed and not because it had to pass... but no because of a totally weird time response or broken DC  ;D

Phantomz

Just had a quick look at " Twin world ".

I've sorted out the Trainer, and got the game running in winape, however when try in mess emulator it doesn't work, so not sure if needs the plus fix like I first thought.

It's here if want to test.

You'll need to use Joypad 2 for the main menu.

Joy 2 Up = 1, Joy 2 Left = 2, Joy 2 Right =3, Joy 2 Down = Pause, Joy 2 B1 = Select Weapon, Joy 2 B2 = Call Shopkeeper.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 20:43, 03 August 21
Finding a good balance between technical achievement and good gameplay was a real challenge for game developers by the time on CPC. A lot of beautiful games are totally unplayable while others are technically less ambitious but remain so fun to play. I keep good remembers around Beyond The Ice Palace but I always had this impression that the character doesn't jump to the height that would allow him to really measure himself against many enemies who seem to fall on the character without being able to do anything because of his small jumps. And this habit in many platform games of the time of not letting the player control the way when the character jumps. All of this helps to make the game frustrating without cheats for me.
I suppose we can get over these flaws with time but I think about other games in which I don't remember complaining like this about the gameplay even when I was a child. Games such as Cybernoid 1 & 2, Netherworld, Bomb Jack and many others, luckily. In these ones, I knew that I lost my last life because I clearly failed and not because it had to pass... but no because of a totally weird time response or broken DC  ;D

Oh man, the two Cybernoid games used to drive me insane! They still do. Too many tight squeezes for my taste. Now that being said I've a lot of tolerance for a lot of games than many because I had a 464 so I didn't have the benefit of 30-45 second load times, so you loaded the game and left it loaded!! That said, Exolon is one of my favourite Cecco games of all time.

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:14, 03 August 21Just had a quick look at " Twin world ". I've sorted out the Trainer, and got the game running in winape, however when try in mess emulator it doesn't work, so not sure if needs the plus fix like I first thought. It's here if want to test. You'll need to use Joypad 2 for the main menu. Joy 2 Up = 1, Joy 2 Left = 2, Joy 2 Right =3, Joy 2 Down = Pause, Joy 2 B1 = Select Weapon, Joy 2 B2 = Call Shopkeeper.

Fast as ever! I'll test this later although I'm not overly familiar with the game.