News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:14, 03 August 21
Just had a quick look at " Twin world ".
I've sorted out the Trainer, and got the game running in winape, however when try in mess emulator it doesn't work, so not sure if needs the plus fix like I first thought.
It's here if want to test.
You'll need to use Joypad 2 for the main menu.
Joy 2 Up = 1, Joy 2 Left = 2, Joy 2 Right =3, Joy 2 Down = Pause, Joy 2 B1 = Select Weapon, Joy 2 B2 = Call Shopkeeper.
Ok, nice job! as a first test, it perfectly works for me on my GX-4000 in levels 1 and 2.
Just because I would be remiss all my life not to have asked but it is really not possible to map the change of weapon on Joy1 B1?
Also direct joystick control and start the game without having to navigate in the menu maybe (the main menu has no interest for GX-4000 users)? I don't know if my demand is complex or helpful for a better control on the menu, apologize me if I seem to be demanding, that's not the idea ;)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

@Phantomz I'm on world 2 and all is working perfectly. To be honest, I think I won't go further tonight. But I'm wondering something. We used an expanded DSK containing all the files on a "single side" converted in CPR. But what will happen when the game will ask to insert side 2? Does we be able to pass this section ? And will the game accept to load the files as if we really "changed side" of the floppy disk? I don't remember exactly when the game asks for the other side and how the player have to validate. We have to hope it won't need to press spacebar for example  :-X .
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 21:59, 03 August 21@Phantomz I'm on world 2 and all is working perfectly. To be honest, I think I won't go further tonight. But I'm wondering something. We used an expanded DSK containing all the files on a "single side" converted in CPR. But what will happen when the game will ask to insert side 2? Does we be able to pass this section ? And will the game accept to load the files as if we really "changed side" of the floppy disk? I don't remember exactly when the game asks for the other side and how the player have to validate. We have to hope it won't need to press spacebar for example  :-X .

Those notices are just to give you time to flip the disk. Pressing fire usually allows you to start the load (on most games) and then it seeks for the next file to load.

Activate the cheat and try it?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:05, 03 August 21
Those notices are just to give you time to flip the disk. Pressing fire usually allows you to start the load (on most games) and then it seeks for the next file to load.
Activate the cheat and try it?
"Usually" is not really interesting. Better way is to test. There is a cheat to skip levels I don't know?

iXien

Just for fun, I discover that the Acorn Archimedes offers a 16 bit version of the same titlescreen as the one on CPC. What is stunning is that it's the only version to use this picture representing the three head dragon found in the game and I thought it was exclusive to our CPC version  :D

pmeier

Quote from: iXien on 19:57, 03 August 21Beyond The Ice Palace But there is still a flaw. In the hi-score table

Yeah, I know. (Noted in the assembler source.) Had no good idea to fix it... Disable high scores completely? Or try to unload the patch when high score table is entered? Don't like both. So I left it untouched...

iXien

Quote from: pmeier on 09:56, 04 August 21
Yeah, I know. (Noted in the assembler source.) Had no good idea to fix it... Disable high scores completely? Or try to unload the patch when high score table is entered? Don't like both. So I left it untouched...
It remains a patch on a game designed for a different pad mapping so a little flaw like this is acceptable  ;) . You talked about GFX glitches but to be honest I didn't noted them while playing  8)

pmeier

Quote from: iXien on 10:10, 04 August 21You talked about GFX glitches but to be honest I didn't noted them while playing  8)
I read some notes that Beyond The Ice Palace was fixed somehow (the palette?) for the CPCPlus and that it crashes when using pokes. I have nothing noticed in WinAPE with a CPC464Plus profile. Maybe someone could tell me more?

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:14, 03 August 21
Just had a quick look at " Twin world ".
I've sorted out the Trainer, and got the game running in winape, however when try in mess emulator it doesn't work, so not sure if needs the plus fix like I first thought.
It's here if want to test.
You'll need to use Joypad 2 for the main menu.
Joy 2 Up = 1, Joy 2 Left = 2, Joy 2 Right =3, Joy 2 Down = Pause, Joy 2 B1 = Select Weapon, Joy 2 B2 = Call Shopkeeper.
Hope you spend (or spent?) good holidays. As I'm not a lot at home during my own holidays, I just find a little time to go further in your Twinworld test version. I'm in the middle of world 3 (Blackthorn castle) and for the moment I had no problem with loadings, game finds gently all the files needed without asking for change side or showing flashing borders (the signal of the need to change side in cracked versions)

The game is very hard on CPC due to hardware limitations and I suppose once again a rushed conversion from the Spectrum version (particularly the mode 1 use that make sometime baddies difficult to show on landscape). Well, no matter, it remains very nice to control Ulopa in his world of Gasparie. Ok, so the game seems to work (I hope to have time to complete it soon just to be sure).

Of course, as I previously said, it would be nice to be able to choose a weapon using J1B2. But I found a more annoying issue. When you call the shopkeeper, while you choose an option using a cursor in the original Amiga version, you have to press a key to select one on CPC! Yes, this menu needs to be patched too and needs 7 keys from the first item up to the exit key. Sorry for not seeing it before. Do you think you can do something?  ;)

I attached for you my last SNA made using CPCE. You can use it to directly access to world 3 (you need a controller to move Ulopa, as I configured the game to play it using my faithful XBox360 controller) but moreover I have the flute to call the shopkeeper.

ukmarkh

Does anyone remember a weird game from Llamasoft (1984). It was called Psychedelia, I found it again on CPC Power! That would be good to see on the GX4000.

https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=4226

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:57, 17 August 21
Does anyone remember a weird game from Llamasoft (1984). It was called Psychedelia, I found it again on CPC Power! That would be good to see on the GX4000.

https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=4226

Can't see that happening Mark. Given how awkward the controls are, it would be really awkward to make joystick only.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

pmeier

Boulder Dash remastered:
Supports up to three joystick buttons, has a nice poke menu and the original credits.
I also added the title screen from Boulder Dash Construction Kit and modified it a bit. Not perfect... (I even tried to import the C64 version, but unfortunately the converters I used didn't produce good results.)
The best thing is: You can now select any cave even the bonus life caves!
The zip contains .dsk, .cpr and my assembler sources.

iXien

Quote from: pmeier on 16:09, 29 August 21
Boulder Dash remastered:
Supports up to three joystick buttons, has a nice poke menu and the original credits.
I also added the title screen from Boulder Dash Construction Kit and modified it a bit. Not perfect... (I even tried to import the C64 version, but unfortunately the converters I used didn't produce good results.)
The best thing is: You can now select any cave even the bonus life caves!
The zip contains .dsk, .cpr and my assembler sources.
What is the third button feature? Second button support was already available on the Phantomz patch but I really like the cheats and the nice splashscreen and original credits you added  ;) . Don't hesitate to do the same with Boulderdash 3  8)

pmeier

Quote from: iXien on 20:28, 29 August 21
What is the third button feature? Second button support was already available on the Phantomz patch but I really like the cheats and the nice splashscreen and original credits you added  ;) . Don't hesitate to do the same with Boulderdash 3  8)
fire2 = suicide, fire3 = pause
Gimme more buttons and I'll give you more features  :laugh:
I have this cool project on my mind: a twin stick gamepad, where left stick is player1 and right stick player2. And has 6 buttons!! Although it would be easy for emulators to support such a configuration, it's not possible. Even RetroArch with its overwhelming configuration options can't... damn...
BTW most emulators don't even offer fire3...
And Boulder Dash 3 is already on my (huge) list  ;D

iXien

Quote from: pmeier on 08:02, 30 August 21
fire2 = suicide, fire3 = pause
Gimme more buttons and I'll give you more features  :laugh:
I have this cool project on my mind: a twin stick gamepad, where left stick is player1 and right stick player2. And has 6 buttons!! Although it would be easy for emulators to support such a configuration, it's not possible. Even RetroArch with its overwhelming configuration options can't... damn...
BTW most emulators don't even offer fire3...
And Boulder Dash 3 is already on my (huge) list  ;D
The problem of a lot of emulators is that they are created in a very classical view of antic computers with just the well-known features in terms of gaming. For example, Caprice32 or CPCE don't seem to support third button while I connected a XBox360 controller on my PC/Win10. All XBox360 controller buttons are available in Caprice32 but just be assigned to Fire 1 or Fire 2. Then 3rd button is more a trick than a directly configured fire button, I suppose that's why even after patching games it will be very hard to find an emulator that understand that. Maybe if you contact the developer of an emulator that is currently in development, he will probably give you more informations and something could be considered. CPCE is a very powerful one developed by CNGSoft and regularly updated by its author.

pmeier

Boulder Dash 3 remastered!
Again with nice menu, pokes, original title screen, and some goodies:

• The C64 title screen (from myabandonware.com, couldn't find a .d64 image with the title screen though)
  • You can choose the Boulder Dash 1 engine to play the BD3 caves and vice versa!
  • Fixed the demo gameplay (which looked odd, as Rockford thought he still lives in BD1...)
I also revisited BDCK from Happy Computer magazine. Learned even more about the cave format, but don't know why BDCK has problems opening cave L... if anyone knows why, let's start a new thread!  :)
Also note that BD3 has some caves you cannot master! (A5)
Zip contains .dsk and .cpr.

Ewok

Hi,

So many great contributions. As the full set is not updated for a while is there an alternative repository?

Love the GX4000 thanks to you all!

iXien

Quote from: Ewok on 22:17, 06 September 21
Hi,

So many great contributions. As the full set is not updated for a while is there an alternative repository?

Love the GX4000 thanks to you all!
No alternative repository to be sure to find all the patches in one single list. The list is up to date till Page 121 of this thread, including CALIFORNIA GAMES. But that's true you'll have to download games from the thread from SUMMER GAMES on page 122  ;)

We made a big update work directed by @remax in the end of 2020. The idea was to wait to make another big update later. Now we are in september. I think it would be nice to wait some more and then I'll ask to @remax  if it will be possible to update the list including all the 2021 patches. An update per year would be a good rythm  8)

Ewok

Quote from: iXien on 07:59, 07 September 21
No alternative repository to be sure to find all the patches in one single list. The list is up to date till Page 121 of this thread, including CALIFORNIA GAMES. But that's true you'll have to download games from the thread from SUMMER GAMES on page 122  ;)

We made a big update work directed by @remax in the end of 2020. The idea was to wait to make another big update later. Now we are in september. I think it would be nice to wait some more and then I'll ask to @remax  if it will be possible to update the list including all the 2021 patches. An update per year would be a good rythm  8)

I like that rythm 👍😀

xenon

Hi, I've been absent for months from this board. It's great to see how many games are still being converted  :) :) . Thanks for your outstanding work!!!

Just a question, will the Full Set be updated?

Regards,

iXien

Quote from: xenon on 00:12, 13 September 21
Hi, I've been absent for months from this board. It's great to see how many games are still being converted  :) :) . Thanks for your outstanding work!!!

Just a question, will the Full Set be updated?

Regards,
The answer a little bit higher in this thread  ;)

iXien

Whoooo, this thread is a bit too calm lately. Frightening...

I suppose @Urusergi , @dragon and @Johnny Olsen are not too far but on others things and @Phantomz has some priorities. So waiting for the return of our glorious "patchers" and after the nice upgrades of Beyond The Ice Palace and Boulder Dash 1 & 3 from @pmeier , I will try to animate all that a bit, like the guy a little heavy who does magic tricks going from table to table between courses at weddings  ;D

Attached is the CHAOS trilogy from @EgoTrip , ready to be played on our beloved GX-4000... ok, no real glory as the games has been designed to be fully playable with a 2 button joypad, even the pause is originally mapped on P key, so you can pause while playing pressing the PAUSE button. Many thanks @EgoTrip not to have forgotten the joypad lovers, permitting so easily GX-4000 players to enjoy your very nice game series.

So here it is !

A Prelude To Chaos
Chaos Rising
Chaos Rising Part 2

Davor Vitief

Quote from: iXien on 20:43, 14 September 21
Whoooo, this thread is a bit too calm lately. Frightening...

I suppose @Urusergi , @dragon and @Johnny Olsen are not too far but on others things and @Phantomz has some priorities. So waiting for the return of our glorious "patchers" and after the nice upgrades of Beyond The Ice Palace and Boulder Dash 1 & 3 from @pmeier , I will try to animate all that a bit, like the guy a little heavy who does magic tricks going from table to table between courses at weddings  ;D

Thank you for the games, also, so many likes, we were really hungry!  :D 

xenon

Quote from: iXien on 06:46, 13 September 21
The answer a little bit higher in this thread  ;)
Oh  :doh: sorry  :D . Right, I've downloaded the new games from here. Thank you!