News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

spikemorrissey

Hi,
This thread used to be constantly updated with new games - Is anyone working on adding more please?
In particular I would love a GX4000 version of Pinball Dreams

eto

andycadley

Yes, it's not necessarily impossible to convert a 128 only game to the GX, depending on how it uses the RAM, but it's certainly a lot more effort than converting a 64k disk game.

CraigsBar

As I now have a 128k GX4000 (or GX4128k) is there any chance of the GB Tetris emulator having some keys remapped. Most importantly the Start Button (Return) mapping to the console pause button (P) that way the game will be fully GX4000 128k compatible but remapping keys on this level is WAY beyond my skills.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: eto on 09:19, 18 March 22
Quote from: spikemorrissey on 04:21, 18 March 22Pinball Dreams
that particular one requires 128KB of RAM
My GX4000 HAS 128k ram LOL :) left and B button on the GX pad would make excellent flippers.... snag is I suspect the game is on an special format disc that NoCart does not support :'(
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

iXien

Quote from: spikemorrissey on 04:21, 18 March 22Hi,
This thread used to be constantly updated with new games - Is anyone working on adding more please?
In particular I would love a GX4000 version of Pinball Dreams
Yes, you're right, this thread is a little bit too quiet right now. the usual actors seem a bit taken up by other subjects, often personal. But I'm planning a little thing or two myself that I hope will get things going again :D .
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Quote from: andycadley on 11:08, 18 March 22Yes, it's not necessarily impossible to convert a 128 only game to the GX, depending on how it uses the RAM, but it's certainly a lot more effort than converting a 64k disk game.
Nothing's impossible  8) . But I agree with you, the problem here is how datas are managed on disk, particularly on Pinball Dreams that make really exotic use of the disk access. More generally, if you want to make a "128Kb / 2 sides" floppy disk game working on 64kb computer (I mean if the game really requires 128Kb to store needed files), you will have to make a lot of modifications as you will need to transform a disk system (read and store files on memory) to a ROM management ("on-the-fly" usage of the files directly on the cartridge).

Some years ago I innocently asked to other members of Easter Eggs if it would be possible to convert our R-Type from 2012 on GX-4000 (this game requires both sides of the floppy disk and 128Kb RAM). and the answer is "no" without according a lot of time reworking on the game and changing all data access system ;) .
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:56, 23 March 22As I now have a 128k GX4000 (or GX4128k) is there any chance of the GB Tetris emulator having some keys remapped. Most importantly the Start Button (Return) mapping to the console pause button (P) that way the game will be fully GX4000 128k compatible but remapping keys on this level is WAY beyond my skills.

128Kb in my GX-4000, it's a dream ;D . now you can launch converted games like Lemmings or Intouchables and hear the music that is missing when you play with 64Kb on GX-4000. In Dragon Ninja and robocop, digits will be played too!

dragon

Its more like ahh well we have bigger subrutine here..And this subrutine have a lot of access to memory(write). And you can't write anything in the rom only read, so basically you need change the entire code of the second 64kb ram bank... because nothing match you only can write en &c000 and the second bank can be estored in &5000 or so with the all the jumps inside de code and so.

So its basically made a dissembly of the entire code.

All "modern" games don't use the firmware use custom controller and don't work in nocart.Its responsability of the programmers made it gx4000 friendly,because they have the source code,thing that don't happend with old games. And they don't have lost in time as the 80 progammer guys.

iXien

Thank you for these explanations. Indeed, nowadays the most interesting would be to ask directly to the creators when talking about modern games ;) Hope more and more ones will find interest in making a GX-4000 friendly version of their games but knowing this, it's clearly a development choice maybe even from the beginning of a project.

iXien

Ok, let's try an easy one to begin what will be, I hope, a new year of nice conversions for our sweet GX-4000 8) . Here is :

DEATH OR GLORY from CRL Group

UP = Accelerate
DOWN = Decelerate
LEFT = Turn left
RIGHT = Turn right
J1B1 = Fire

The aim of the game is for once not about destroying the ships that attack you but the mothership they defend. Once you destroyed enough of a mothership, you're automatically teleported to another one. Your bombs are only effective on the mothership, avoid enemis and bullets  ;) 

iXien

Now a very old game. I don't know why but I really liked it back in the days. Maybe because these maze games had a lot of success. So here is :

TOMBSTOWNE from Amsoft / Premier Software

You're trapped in a castle. You must find the 16 blue pages missing of a spellbook and go to a cauldron to cast a spell that will lift the curse. In order to progress, you will have to collect objects and associate them to others. Jump in front of a door to open it and search for candles to retrieve some energy.  if this game drives you crazy, I include a poked version offering unlimited energy and you will find a solution on CPC-Power.

LEFT/RIGHT on the d-pad to move our glorious hero, J1B1 to jump, UP to take/drop an object, Pause button to pause/unpause the game 

iXien

After TOMBSTONE, here comes :

DEATHSVILLE from Bubble Bus Software

Same system, same controls. If you like the first one, you will like the sequel  8)

LEFT/RIGHT on the d-pad to move our glorious hero, J1B1 to jump, UP to take/drop an object, Pause button to pause/unpause the game

iXien

Hi everyone,

this thread is really sleeping since many weeks. Hopefully @zisquier doesn't forget our beloved GX-4000 and just released a real new game. Not only a quick conversion, but a new game, previously unreleased on CPC, specially designed with love for cartridge standard on GX-4000/CPC+. Yes  8)

BLINKY'S SCARY SCHOOL

Initially created and published by Zeppelin Games in 1990 on C64, Spectrum, Atari 8-bit, Amiga and ST, this game never saw the light of day on CPC for obscure reasons, unlike its sequel Titanic Blinky in 1991. Zisquier corrects this terrible deficiency in a very beautiful way with this very nice adaptation based on the C64 version.

Urusergi

At iXien's request...

TITANIC BLINKY

Keyboard or joystick:

Up, down -> "Q", "A"
Left & Right changed to "I" & "O" to place the pause on the "P" key

Fire -> "M"

With trainer (infinite energy & lives  yes ->"y" or "Fire1", no->"n" or "Fire2")

iXien

Whoooo, so many thanks @Urusergi , how fast ! Watch out, I might get used to it!  :P

Now thanks to your work, we can enjoy all the Blinky series. Just after discovering Blinky's Scary School from Zisquier, we can play its sequel Titanic Blinky on GX-4000  8)

As you provided the DSK version for all CPCs, here is the CPR version for our beloved GX-4000

iXien

Thanks again to the great work of @Urusergi that definitly revives this thread, here comes :

ARTURA

Up    = Jump / Enter doors behind you
Down  = Croutch / Enter doors in front of you
Left  = Move left
right  = Move right
J1B1  = Throw axes (you can throw axes in all directions maintaining fire button pressed while moving)
J1B2  = Enter rune mode
PAUSE  = Quit current game

To travel to Morgause's stronghold you used the mystical wheel of Carriddwen. You must now fight your way through Morgause's dun to seek out Nimue. By finding and using the Rune Stones, stolen by Margause, you can travel once again on Carriddwen's Wheel. Only by finding all of the runes can you hope to return to Camelod...

Clearly, the rune mode is just used at the end of the game to activate the Carriddwen's Wheel and escape the stronghold. All the rest is a nice hack'n slash in which you have to survive, retrieve all the rune parts, then find Morgause and kill her. I really loved this game back in the days. GFX in 4 colours are sometimes confused but the atmosphere is here and you take pleasure to kill all the villains and search for the rune parts  8)

A very difficult game. Hopefully, @Urusergi added pokes to play with infinite energy. Let's go for the slaughter  :P :P :P

iXien

And we continue with a great game converted by @Urusergi that shows how fast things can move on CPC/GX-4000 :

ELEKTRA GLIDE from English Software

My best friend owned this game with his 6128 in 1986, and the speed was so impressive! Even nowadays, we can tell that not a lot of race games offered an as smooth and fast scroll on the Amstrad machines.

Choose your control method (1st method is the firmest, 3rd is the lightest) and one of the 3 circuits. Your objective is to stay on the track at all costs, and reach the tunnel leading to the start of the next section within the time limit. Then while playing :

Up = Alternate options in menus
Left = Turn left / Change current option to the left
Right = Turn right / Change current option to the right
J1B1 = Accelerate / Validate in menus
J1B2 = Break
Pause = Pause
Pause + Down = Quit current game

To be honest, I think that the remapping upgrades the controls of the game compared to the original ones. It's so convincing that you will find the DSK version patched in the RAR file for those who want to test the game with a two button controller on their CPC. It's a real improvement 8) .

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 23:51, 24 February 21
Quote from: rhoads5150 on 12:44, 24 February 21If you want the Shinobi remake on CPR format, here it is.
I haven't tested it on a GX4000, but it works fine on my 6128Plus with C4CPC
I feel so silly that I haven't seen for myself that the game can be directly converted to CPR without any patch (P for Pause and you can enter your name using joypad in highscore table)  :D

But your version lack the cheat options so here is a new release that include the same cheat menu as the original patched version from @dragon . As a bonus, the cheat options have been translated to English for the ones that don't understand my beloved French language, and with some informations about how to seize them  8)

Nice enhanced version from fmtrx, new colors and slightly upgraded GFX are really welcome here.
Just playing around with this. Am I doing something really dumb, or is the magic button not mapped to button 2?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:26, 09 July 22
Quote from: iXien on 23:51, 24 February 21
Quote from: rhoads5150 on 12:44, 24 February 21If you want the Shinobi remake on CPR format, here it is.
I haven't tested it on a GX4000, but it works fine on my 6128Plus with C4CPC
I feel so silly that I haven't seen for myself that the game can be directly converted to CPR without any patch (P for Pause and you can enter your name using joypad in highscore table)  :D
But your version lack the cheat options so here is a new release that include the same cheat menu as the original patched version from @dragon . As a bonus, the cheat options have been translated to English for the ones that don't understand my beloved French language, and with some informations about how to seize them  8)
Nice enhanced version from fmtrx, new colors and slightly upgraded GFX are really welcome here.
Just playing around with this. Am I doing something really dumb, or is the magic button not mapped to button 2?

If you take the time to read carefully the next posts, you will see that we have already discuss about that with @Phantomz

iXien

Another great conversion from @Urusergi  8) :

LIVINGSTONE SUPONGO from Opera Soft

Up = Jump
Down = Croutch
Left = Move left
Right = Move right
J1B1 = Action
J1B2 + Up = Select boomerang
J1B2 + Right = Select knife
J1B2 + Down  = Select grenade
J1B2 + Left  = Select pole
J1B2 + Pause = Quit current game
Pause = Pause game

This great game is the first game published by Opera Soft in 1986. A true classic from the beginning of the life of amstrad computers. This is the spanish version with the animated and unmodified title screen. Unlimited lives are available at launch.

This is really a smart conversion that permits to select an item just pressing button 2 and a direction on d-pad. Once again, this great work offers a full joypad gameplay that improves the original controls, as keyboard isn't required anymore. DSK version is provided in the archive as well as the CPR to enjoy LIVINGSTONE, SUPONGO on GX-4000.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: iXien on 21:46, 09 July 22If you take the time to read carefully the next posts, you will see that we have already discuss about that with @Phantomz
Cheers, I don't know how I missed that. I'm guessing it never got sorted in the end then?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

iXien

No problem @Shaun M. Neary , because nothing can stop him :P , so here is from @Urusergi :

SHINOBI REMASTER 1.02

left/right : Walk left/right
Down : Crouch
Up : Jump
J1B1 + Up/down : Leap between the ground and higher platforms
J1B2 : Activates Ninja Magic
Pause : Pause game

Now fully playable on GX-4000 with Ninja Magic patched on J1B2. Also this version includes cheats from EB.

Shaun M. Neary

This is awesome! Thanks guys! :D
I'll update the version on my GX later this afternoon. :D

iXien

And that's not all, we continue with a new patch from @Urusergi :

AMAUROTE from Mastertronics

D-pad : Move
J1B1 : Fire
J1B2: Scanner Mode (Select Nearest insect, queen or Bomb)
Pause : Radio Menu

A clever patch that replaces the 3 keys required to select nearest insect, queen or bomb by a simple cycle system on J1B2. Well done @Urusergi !