News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Bros

Started by pacomix, 00:00, 03 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

pacomix

Hi!

I am new in this forum and I think that do not know why I didn't create an account before. :) Only wanted to know a preview of the work I am doing together with a pixel artist.
   If you didn't know about that we are doing a port of the Snow Bros arcade machine to the Amstrad/Schneider CPC series of computer with the intention to make a tape and disk version. So is not only tied to the 128KB machines.
   I wanted to share with you all the WIP we are doing and of course... we accept critics! :) But please be benevolent since this is still under development and this is our first thing we develop for the machine. In fact, the first game we do for a 8 bit machine.  ;D
   If you would like to know more details just ask! We will be more than pleased to answer all the things :)

The video:

CPC Bros - YouTube

P.S.: I see that some people over are from Germany so I also would like to get in touch with some if there is a coming soon a retro party or so. I am in Reutlingen.

sigh

That looks great!

I absolutely loved this game in the arcade.

TFM

Very welcome in the forum here! Have a great time! :-D
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Wow, this looks lovely! Hope it gets finished, I really do since I loved the arcade as well!

One little criticism, the player sprite flashes quite a bit when jumping... can this be fixed?

Nice to have you here, please keep us in the loop!

Snake_Plissken

Snow bros on CPC,a good news :)

Waiting for the game !

villain

You will meet a big part of the german CPC scene at the XzentriX:

XzentriX 2013 meeting in Seeshaupt / Germany | The Amstrad CPC news portal

Grüße aussem Nachbarlandkreis (TÜ). :-)

arnoldemu

nice, really nice. keep going.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

McKlain

Fantabuloso  ;D

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:20, 03 April 13
Wow, this looks lovely! Hope it gets finished, I really do since I loved the arcade as well!

One little criticism, the player sprite flashes quite a bit when jumping... can this be fixed?

i would say it's a pre-production game so lots of things can and do change. Same is true of all modern games.

give them some slack and leave the comments until the release. ;)

this way they can either do an update, or they can use the comments to build on and make another game.

if I had shown some of my early versions of some of my games, you would have said "colours are wrong", "text is in the wrong place", "it crashes", "it flickers", "it's too slow", "music is broken" etc ;)

My games. My Games

pacomix

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:20, 03 April 13

I will keep you all in the loop of course. Regarding the flash... flash? O_o You mean when the characters touch the platforms? The little bounce or really when just jumping? If so please could you describe exactly the moment it flash? Hehehe I am trying to figure it out but I can not.
Actually there is a little of garbage in the double buffer when the player gets killed by the red demons so that might be what you say. Or it is always flashin everytime it jumps?
And for everybody... I will not get angry for suggestions or telling that this is not correct or can be improved. Just the opposite! Every oppinion is more than welcome! :)

fano

Sometimes you have great surprises when you wake up , this is one !
I am happy to see you started adaptation of this great game.Graphics need more works but are already nice, game seems fast despite few bugs (logical this is just the begining), music is good too.
I am very impatient to see how this will turn but looking at this great start that looks like a future great game for our beloved CPC !
Keep up the good work and please don't give up !

btw, i saw you use double buffer , does this will run on a 64K machine ?
Seems you already have a good knowledge of the machine but if you need some help , just ask  ;)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

pacomix

Only point out that the music is one of the example songs of the Wyztracker. I just took it only for testing purposes.

Quote from: fano on 11:15, 03 April 13

btw, i saw you use double buffer , does this will run on a 64K machine ?
Seems you already have a good knowledge of the machine but if you need some help , just ask  ;)

Yes... the double buffer eats a lot of RAM but couldn't find any other way to avoid flickering while maintaining a tolerant framerate. We are SUFFERING to fit everything in 32 KB, code and assets. But I guess we would manage to do it. Because of that we will have to split the game in several parts. There will be loads every boss.
And well... do not know too much really about the machine. I need still to dig more in the CRTC to see if I can implement the scrolling between levels. But it is not sure whether we will be able to do it or not since we are almost on the limit of memory but still scratching bytes.

fano

Thanks for precisions, i noticed too you do not use the total surface of the screen, what are the dimensions of your game area + score display ? (in mode 0 pixels or in CRTC chars) In the same order of idea , what technics do you use to save and restore background after drawing sprites ? maybe there are solutions to save some memory here ;)

ralferoo

Shame you didn't mention it a week ago. There is a very large demoparty held in Saarbruecken every Easter, so you've only just missed it. There were quite a few of us CPC people there... :)

There's also the Evoke party in Cologne in August (EVOKE 2013, 16-18 Aug 2013, AbenteuerhallenKalk, Cologne, Germany), Nordlicht in Bremen in July (Nordlicht 2013 | A Demoscene Party in Northern Germany) and Demodays in Switzerland in August (demodays | 23/24/25 August 2013 - Olten/Switzerland) which might be closer to you. There are loads more too!

You could try looking at a list of demoparties - demoparty.net or http://www.pouet.net/index.php, although the latter is more for discussion and releases.

Also, good to hear you're developing a new CPC game... good luck! :)

pacomix

Quote from: fano on 11:59, 03 April 13
Thanks for precisions, i noticed too you do not use the total surface of the screen, what are the dimensions of your game area + score display ? (in mode 0 pixels or in CRTC chars) In the same order of idea , what technics do you use to save and restore background after drawing sprites ? maybe there are solutions to save some memory here ;)

I left 32 pixels of height (the upper part of the screen) for the scoreboard. The total size of the drawing area including the scoreboard is 128x256 pixels. The full 16KB ram page. Still need to tweak the vertical adjust register to better center the screen as you can see.
For drawing sprites and restoring background... Saving and restoring? Hehe. I am just doing it using "the way of the donkey". Just paint the dirty background tiles and then over the sprites. It is a thing I wanted to improve since I am fully painting the affected tiles. There might be the possibility to paint them partially accelerating considerably the speed but this doesn't enter inside my main priorities right now.
Right at the moment I am limiting the speed to 15FPS maximum.
Quote from: ralferoo on 13:12, 03 April 13
Shame you didn't mention it a week ago. There is a very large demoparty held in Saarbruecken every Easter, so you've only just missed it. There were quite a few of us CPC people there... :)

There's also the Evoke party in Cologne in August (EVOKE 2013, 16-18 Aug 2013, AbenteuerhallenKalk, Cologne, Germany), Nordlicht in Bremen in July (Nordlicht 2013 | A Demoscene Party in Northern Germany) and Demodays in Switzerland in August (demodays | 23/24/25 August 2013 - Olten/Switzerland) which might be closer to you. There are loads more too!

You could try looking at a list of demoparties - demoparty.net or http://www.pouet.net/index.php, although the latter is more for discussion and releases.

Also, good to hear you're developing a new CPC game... good luck! :)

That is a pity! But there are more so we will see if I would  be ablte to join one of them. Thank you very much for all that info!

arnoldemu

Quote from: pacomix on 13:29, 03 April 13
For drawing sprites and restoring background... Saving and restoring? Hehe. I am just doing it using "the way of the donkey". Just paint the dirty background tiles and then over the sprites. It is a thing I wanted to improve since I am fully painting the affected tiles. There might be the possibility to paint them partially accelerating considerably the speed but this doesn't enter inside my main priorities right now.
I have used "the way of the donkey" and it worked fine for me before. :)

My games. My Games

TFM

Hey, why not making this great game for 128 KB machines. Instead of 32 KB you would have 96 KB (3x more!!) RAM for code.

And today nearly everybody has a 6128 keyboard (else get it cheap on ebay).

I'm looking forward to see more  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: villain on 09:02, 03 April 13

Uups. First I oversaw the P.S. of the other post...
Yes, the XzentriX is a great choice. Or just post instantly in the German part here or in the German CPC Forum from Markus.
TFM of FutureSoft

Devilmarkus

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:01, 03 April 13
Quote from: villain on 09:02, 03 April 13

??? Posted in wrong thread / forum ???

::)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

pacomix

Quote from: TFM/FS on 17:59, 03 April 13
Hey, why not making this great game for 128 KB machines. Instead of 32 KB you would have 96 KB (3x more!!) RAM for code.

And today nearly everybody has a 6128 keyboard (else get it cheap on ebay).

I'm looking forward to see more  :)

Well the thing is that I also would like to have the tape version. Only in case it turns completely impossible to carry it out for 64KB I will do the 128KB version then... (Captain Obvious)  ;D

Gryzor

@arnoldemu: he said he accepts criticism :D But sure, it's looking really good, I'm just offering some notes. Naturally I don't expect it to be perfect!!!

@pacomix: when the character jumps platforms and the sprite rolls, it blinks rapidly - or at least that's what I see in Winape...

fano

Quote from: pacomix on 13:29, 03 April 13For drawing sprites and restoring background... Saving and restoring? Hehe. I am just doing it using "the way of the donkey".
Didn't know that name but using this too  ;)

villain

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:01, 03 April 13

??? Posted in wrong thread / forum ???

Kannst Du Dumpfbacke einfach mal Deine saublöde Fresse halten? Sicherlich, Dein Englisch ist schlecht. Aber das verstehst Du vielleicht trotzdem:
"
P.S.: I see that some people over are from Germany so I also would like to get in touch with some if there is a coming soon a retro party or so. I am in Reutlingen."

@Gryzor:

It would be very nice if you could stop the constantly provocations by TFM. Thanks!

Puresox

Really pleased to see another development for the CPC , I am not that familiar with the game , but from the looks of what you have posted it appears a great game is in production!I hope that with everyone's knowledge on this board that you can make it a game that is a pleasure and proud to be released. Good on you !

TFM

Quote from: pacomix on 18:19, 03 April 13

Well the thing is that I also would like to have the tape version. Only in case it turns completely impossible to carry it out for 64KB I will do the 128KB version then... (Captain Obvious)  ;D
Well, you can go for both versions. Start with a 64 KB Version, then - if you have time and energy - move on the a bitter Version for 128 KB. Well must not use up all RAM though ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft