News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Bros

Started by pacomix, 00:00, 03 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

pacomix

Quote from: sigh on 18:05, 04 January 16
Is this still being worked on?

It is stopped since long time ago. But I plan to continue with the work once I settle down again next month.

TFM

Quote from: remax on 12:23, 09 July 14
With memory expansions easily available these days, that would be sad to downgrade the game because of memory problems from the lowest part of the range

Yes, right, this is the 512 KB era, not the 64 KB era any longer. Welcome in 2016 fellow CPC brethren.  ;D :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

sigh

Quote from: pacomix on 18:14, 04 January 16
It is stopped since long time ago. But I plan to continue with the work once I settle down again next month.

Excellent! So what are you intending to tackle first? Will you move to 128kb or will you try to optimize for 64kb?

dodogildo

Quote from: pacomix on 18:14, 04 January 16
But I plan to continue with the work once I settle down again next month.

fantastisch :)
M'enfin!

pacomix

Quote from: sigh on 19:24, 04 January 16
Excellent! So what are you intending to tackle first? Will you move to 128kb or will you try to optimize for 64kb?

Hi sigh!
That's the main question. First I need to review again everything since there are several things I forgot. Like how the build pipeline was working. I stick to a specific version of SDCC (3.2.1 #8124) since at that time I was testing newer versions and all of them generated code that broke the game and I didn't want to dig deeper on the reasons.
So first of all would be to review all the system I had and then the code and make it work with the most recent version and with the optimizations the creator of CPCTelera suggested.
Then I planned to suppress the double buffer by using masked sprites OR optimizing the drawing (background + sprites on top) with care. If I see the result is not fine for the gameplay I think that I would have to go for a 128Kb version or cut a lot the variety of tiles at least for the 64Kb version.

dragon

QuoteIf you didn't know about that we are doing a port of the Snow Bros arcade machine to the Amstrad/Schneider CPC series of computer with the intention to make a tape and disk version. So is not only tied to the 128KB machines.

Oh, why always the cartridge is the great forgottten thing.

So 464 cut is release->gx4000 cut atomatically is release with great 512kb rom  to the trash. :( .

||C|-|E||

Quote from: pacomix on 12:43, 05 January 16
Hi sigh!
That's the main question. First I need to review again everything since there are several things I forgot. Like how the build pipeline was working. I stick to a specific version of SDCC (3.2.1 #8124) since at that time I was testing newer versions and all of them generated code that broke the game and I didn't want to dig deeper on the reasons.
So first of all would be to review all the system I had and then the code and make it work with the most recent version and with the optimizations the creator of CPCTelera suggested.
Then I planned to suppress the double buffer by using masked sprites OR optimizing the drawing (background + sprites on top) with care. If I see the result is not fine for the gameplay I think that I would have to go for a 128Kb version or cut a lot the variety of tiles at least for the 64Kb version.

In my very very humble opinion 128KB should be a no brainer for many games (not all) because the difference can be huge. I understand the reasons of trying to keep everything running in 64 KB, but I also think that from a practical point of view we should move from that barrier nowadays that memory expansions are so cheap and well accepted by many :). I would love to have everything in cartridge as well, but the Amstrad is not a MSX and cartridge was never the main format, only the Plus range is compatible with that. The ACID did not make things easy either...

ronaldo

@pacomix: Very glad to see you are continuing this amazing project! I'm really looking forward to see this project succeed :D.

Needless to say that If you needed any kind of help, we will be here for you :).

Come on and Good luck!

Gryzor

How about a fantastic wip vid?

robcfg

khaz

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 18:29, 13 January 16I would love to have everything in cartridge as well, but the Amstrad is not a MSX and cartridge was never the main format, only the Plus range is compatible with that.

I've actually been meaning to ask that. Not to you specifically but your post reminded me of it.

How feasible is it to develop a cartridge format to use on the extension port? Could the 16k barrier be broken by using several ROMs and mapping? I see the X-MEM allows to boot directly to a different BIOS, I suppose it could be used to boot directly to the game. If a GX4000 game was somehow compatible with non-plus specifications (colour palette, hardware sprites, etc.), could I wire an adapter to boot it?

VincentGR

Me happy, me needs this.

TotO

Quote from: khaz on 16:45, 10 March 16I see the X-MEM allows to boot directly to a different BIOS, I suppose it could be used to boot directly to the game. If a GX4000 game was somehow compatible with non-plus specifications (colour palette, hardware sprites, etc.), could I wire an adapter to boot it?
I have done that with the CTC-AY board, but it looked to not interest peoples...
So, I have shared the project in : X-MEM + PlayCity, using ROM instead of my original cartridge system. (shown booting renegade and relentless)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

sigh

Sorry for the bump, but I was thinking about this game recently. Anyone know what became of this project?

Gryzor

Oh drat, 7 years since the OP... That original video looks so nice!

VincentGR

7 years !?!?!!?

:-X

Where does the time go?

Dubliner

Last time i spoke with Pacomix was two or three months ago. The project is on a long hiatus, if not full dead. The guy had to move between several countries in the last years due to work and didn't look very motivated.
We all know the whereabouts of SAD1942. He has enjoyed great sucess with games like Red Sunset or Lost Treasure of Cuauhtemoc in the last few years.
I really don't see it in the next few years, but you never know when an artist will be motivated again.

sigh

Quote from: Dubliner on 16:58, 25 August 20
Last time i spoke with Pacomix was two or three months ago. The project is on a long hiatus, if not full dead. The guy had to move between several countries in the last years due to work and didn't look very motivated.
We all know the whereabouts of SAD1942. He has enjoyed great sucess with games like Red Sunset or Lost Treasure of Cuauhtemoc in the last few years.
I really don't see it in the next few years, but you never know when an artist will be motivated again.
Damn it!* The Snow Bros project looked extremely promising and also felt like it was close to finishing.I don't know if he's still on this forum, but all of us here really appreciated his efforts in bringing this classic to the CPC.
There is no doubt that this would have been a superb conversion.

*I'm a little gutted to be honest :(

amijim

Come on and take initiative. You know that i am offering one week free vacation in Greece in my small hotel once a game for amstrad is complete and is considered being a gem. I do not like to repeat myself so spread the news because the coders need vacation after work. May or june or sept. Spread the opportunity.

kawickboy

A good reason to learn Z80. (I have twins babies at home right now)