News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Crownland conversion from Atari

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 05:35, 02 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

tastefulmrship

I love CROWNLAND! Really looking forward to playing this on my 6128!
Great work so far! ^_^

gurneyh

Hi,

A small step
forward for this project:

https://youtu.be/p1ynZ4fyrCc

robcfg

VincentGR

XeNoMoRPH

Go Ahead !!! , very nice graphics !!!  :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Arnaud

Water transparency effect is also really well done.

Maniac

This looks stunning! Great stuff!

SkulleateR

Great work so far, animation and scrolling really looking smooth, keep it up  8)

JayBlood

Jay

fgbrain

Looks gorgeous!!! Well done !!

I hope you manage to get the game finished.
It takes an enormous amount of time and talent.

Keep up the good work!!
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

VincentGR

Targhan

I think the development is paused for, at least, a long time.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

gurneyh

Quote from: Targhan on 23:16, 26 April 21I think the development is paused for, at least, a long time.

Indeed, the project is on hold.
Crownland is still important to me, so I hope to finish it, even if it was originally just an excuse to start programming on the CPC again.

Coding a scrolling is different from coding a game :)

banana

Can you share a little about the programming method you used for the scrolling? It looks amazing!

GUNHED

Quote from: gurneyh on 18:15, 14 May 19
Hi,
A small step forward for this project:

Great code!!! And this is something I only say very few times ;-)
The GFX on the CPC can of course be better than on the Atari (in some way). But I assume they're well done palace holders.

Awesome to see a scrolling game. I'm tired of that static kind of games. Go on! This will be really great!
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

gurneyh

Quote from: banana on 14:59, 05 May 21
Can you share a little about the programming method you used for the scrolling? It looks amazing!

Of course! :)

For the foreground, it's a hard byte scroll using register 3 of the crtc. Very standard technique.
For the clouds, and other background scenery, it's pre-shifted tiles per pixel. A soft scroll in fact. I just take care to display only in the holes left in the foreground.
For the animated water, these are also pre-shifted tiles.
It seems to me that the technical limit is no more than 7 lines to be redisplayed so as not to fall below 50hz.
The target is 25hz in double buffering, so there is still one frame left for sprite display. They are small, and it was fine.

Quote from: GUNHED on 19:09, 05 May 21Great code!!! And this is something I only say very few times ;-) The GFX on the CPC can of course be better than on the Atari (in some way). But I assume they're well done palace holders. Awesome to see a scrolling game. I'm tired of that static kind of games. Go on! This will be really great!

gfx are taken directly from the rom, thanks to the author of the conversion on Atari ST, a version which is also on break. He had kindly provided me with the data from the rom, which he had received from the author of the original game.
A redesign would be necessary.

Indeed, platform games with scrolling are rare nowadays.
We see a lot more games with a static screen.

banana

So Basically you preloaded the next shift for the scrolling correct? Did you hold the info in memory to achieve that speed or was it read just before it was needed?

gurneyh

Quote from: banana on 19:31, 05 May 21
So Basically you preloaded the next shift for the scrolling correct? Did you hold the info in memory to achieve that speed or was it read just before it was needed?

I don't really understand the question, but yes everything is in memory, the demo only runs with 128kb.
One thing is that the preshifted tiles are compiled. That is, we don't read the data to write it, we just write it.
I hope this answers your question. :)

banana

sunn

Hope that this could be finished. Love the original. Atari St version would also be sweet.