Author Topic: Dr Scrimes Spook School  (Read 2230 times)

Offline and155

• CPC464
    • Awards
Dr Scrimes Spook School
« on: 19:27, 19 October 20 »
Hi guys,
I'm hoping that someone out there may have had some luck in completing / progressing in Dr. Scrimes Spook School. It's a game I had as a child and now as a 37 year old, I thought I might be able to solve the game.
I have completed a detailed map of the game, complete with where items are and also what keys open which doors (I can open 5 so far) and I have managed to solve the first task of filling the holes. To do this, you need hammer (Study - Ground floor), Nails (Kitchen - Ground Floor) and then 10 woodtiles from around the mansion. To be clear, you can actually die mid-completing this task and all the woodtiles go back to their original location, so you only really need to know where 5 are, die and then pick up the same 5 again and continue.
You then go into the study and are presented with the following information on the screen:

"Its jolly cold in here old chap. Before you go onto test two, fix the electricy supply so that you can cut some logs and light my fire"
You are also then given a pair of pliers on the floor, which is where the hammer was located. This is where I get stuck.
I know where to find the firelighters (Bathroom level 2), the matches (Lobby - Ground Floor), wood for chopping (Attic) and the Workshop (Ground Floor)  has a saw which you need electricty for. I also know that the Fuse Room is located on the Ground Floor too. I also have found a fuse (Workshop - Ground Floor) but I'm not sure if the fuse somehow needs to be put into the fuse room? I have tried everything here, but I can't seem to get it to work.
The pliers are probably a key thing here, but it would suggest I need to find some wiring, but I can't seem to find any wiring which would require pliers for.
Anyone got any further? I'd love to complete this game once and for all. It's one which I pick up every few years and it annoys me that I can't get any further. I also thought about maybe getting into the source code or trying to locate the designer (A Smith) to see if this game was simply broken and couldn't be completed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm happy to share my map for some useful intel  :D
No reactions

Offline and155

• CPC464
    • Awards
Re: Dr Scrimes Spook School
« Reply #1 on: 11:33, 22 October 20 »
Surely someone must have something to add regarding this game! I can't believe I have got the furthest out of anyone??
No reactions

Offline Skunkfish

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Editor of Colour Personal Computing
    • CPCSTORE.CO.UK - Dedicated to the Amstrad CPC
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 11:34, 22 October 20 »
I've never played it, but I'm tempted to give it a go!
No reactions
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 3 of CPC Fanzine!)

Offline eto

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 11:55, 22 October 20 »
Surely someone must have something to add regarding this game! I can't believe I have got the furthest out of anyone??

Seems this is one of the games, most people don't know. There's not even a Youtube video out there. Just once mentioned by Xyphoe and there he said, he has no clue what to do.

Maybe you can do a video and motivate others to try it out?
No reactions

Offline Nich

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC Game Reviews webmaster
    • CPC Game Reviews
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 21:41, 23 October 20 »

I owned the game back in the day but I never managed to complete even the first task. I've found pokes, but even then I still don't have the patience to figure out how to complete the tasks and find all the relevant objects.
No reactions

Offline and155

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 14:20, 26 October 20 »
I owned the game back in the day but I never managed to complete even the first task. I've found pokes, but even then I still don't have the patience to figure out how to complete the tasks and find all the relevant objects.
I also owned the original copy too. I had someone quote you on another thread about getting some Pokes for this and they said you knew how to do this? I downloaded a cop from here: https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=756 which had the trainer version.
When I came to run this on Winape though, it threw the attached errors. Any ideas how to correct this?

No reactions

Offline and155

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 14:30, 26 October 20 »
Actually don't worry, I managed to get this working! Thanks!
No reactions

Offline Xyphoe

• 6128 Plus
    • GX4000.CO.UK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 11:29, 28 October 20 »
Yea we tried to have a go at this once on a stream and got nowhere apart from working out how to fill the holes, then we got stuck. No-one in the chat knew how to get further, and there were some very knowledgeable players there! Well done in getting further than anyone I know!!

Offline genesis8

• CPC6128
    • Genesis8 Amstrad Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 13:36, 29 October 20 »
Hi guys,
I'm hoping that someone out there may have had some luck in completing / progressing in Dr. Scrimes Spook School. It's a game I had as a child and now as a 37 year old, I thought I might be able to solve the game.
I have completed a detailed map of the game, complete with where items are and also what keys open which doors (I can open 5 so far) and I have managed to solve the first task of filling the holes. To do this, you need hammer (Study - Ground floor), Nails (Kitchen - Ground Floor) and then 10 woodtiles from around the mansion. To be clear, you can actually die mid-completing this task and all the woodtiles go back to their original location, so you only really need to know where 5 are, die and then pick up the same 5 again and continue.
Could you attach your map for others ? It would be interesting for the NVG ftp, and I can also put it on my web site if you are ok.
No reactions

Offline GraalianLife78

• Speccy
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 13:37, 16 October 21 »
Hello fellows of Dr Scrime's Spook School.

I had this game on my CPC464 when I was young. Now I started trying solution the game. I see you already found filled 10 spook holes with all woodtiles.

Task 1.1 - fill the 10 spooky holes:

Plates - you can use plate with glue covered the hole too.

BE WARNING - do not fill the holes more 10 because you will lost reward from Dr Scrime. Make sure yourself filled 10 holes then see Dr Scrime.

Task 1.2 - Fixing the electricity supply:

1) you wear a pair of rubber gloves (Hunchback's Workshop and Were-Kid's Fuse Cupboard)
2) You can fixed the electricity supply without electric shock!
3) Make logs from a plank where found in the attic at Hunchback's Workshop.

But I tried light the logs with your suggest but not worked. :(
No reactions

Offline and155

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 14:08, 22 November 21 »
Hi everyone, a little update for you....I am on test 7 now on the game!
I will try and upload a video of this in the few days. Apologies for almost the year of silence on this thread - we had another baby which has taken up almost all my time.

I am so close to being able to finish the game, but test 7 is really tough!
No reactions