News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Top 10 exclusive CPC games

Started by cwpab, 10:32, 28 November 23

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroTony

Roland in Time/Space weren't Amstrad exclusives.  They were also released by Gem Software under the Einsoft label for the Tatung Einstein as Time Trap/Space Trap.  Interestingly, at least some the Dr Who references seem to have been removed.  Perhaps someone 'had a quiet word.' 

Gryzor

So 1/3rd of the Einstein library are CPC ports? :D

Anthony Flack

Interesting to learn that some "exclusives" are actually not exclusive at all, but received obscure ports. Even Tubaruba got a Spectrum port. I can't find any record of Radzone on c64, though? I'm pretty sure Flyspy at least was a one-off for the CPC.

I just checked out BurninG Rubber on the Amiga and not only is it a different game, it's nowhere near as good. 

zhulien

Highway Encounter is on Atari ST, it is pretty cool on there also.

Is UBI Soft's Aslphalt CPC only?

Dubliner

I think all the games by Damir Petkovic are CPC exclusives. Suicidal Tendencies and Hardmare are pretty cool.

BSC

I like this thread - it seems to be incredibly hard to actually come up with a list of 10 CPC-only games, something I would not have thought back in the days. This seems to be implying that any mediocre (or better) game concept was ported to other systems, presumably to milk as much money as possible out of it. 

What's the actual list btw? 
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

cwpab

Quote from: BSC on 13:38, 17 December 23I like this thread - it seems to be incredibly hard to actually come up with a list of 10 CPC-only games, something I would not have thought back in the days. This seems to be implying that any mediocre (or better) game concept was ported to other systems, presumably to milk as much money as possible out of it.

What's the actual list btw?
We should organize teams to check each game in CPC Power year-by-year opening hundreds of tabs on the browser to create a full list of Amstrad CPC exclusives, honestly. I currently don't have the time, but it would be interesting.

Anthony Flack

When it comes down to I think being the lead platform matters more than being exclusive. 

ZorrO

Maybe in recent years, large console producers have been willing to pay big money to software companies not to release certain titles for other platforms, at least for a few years, because they want to have a certain game only on their console to tempt people to buy it. And they don't spare a lot of money to make the game perfect.

But years ago, in the 8-bit era, if something was exclusive, it was usually a bad title that owners of other platforms did not want to have. The more ports there were of a game to other platforms, the more it proved that the game was good. That's why I'm not sure if it's worth looking for exclusives, or worrying that there are so few of them. :)
CPC+PSX 4ever

Anthony Flack

Sometimes it indicates an obscure first game written on spec by a bedroom coder, published on a budget label, that wasn't economical to pay a professional coder to port to any other system, or maybe the port was botched. Hence a game like Flyspy.

Sometimes I think a good game like Radzone is simply overlooked.