News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Epyx World of Sports GX4000

Started by dthrone, 23:54, 08 April 22

Previous topic - Next topic

dthrone

Fairly useless thread but I think part of the purpose of the wiki is to historically document stuff so...

The wiki page for Epyx World of Sports has two alternative sleeves https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/World_Of_Sports_(cartridge)

Firstly, I've checked the wiki, wiki forum, cpc power, cpc game reviews and gx4000.co.uk for info in case of discussion elsewhere but could have missed something.

I've happened across both sleeve versions here.  The 'conventional' sleeve has pictures of a diver, skier and bmx rider on the front, along with a blue box containing a text list of the 4 events, bmx, cliff diving, surfing and slalom skiing.  The Epyx logo on the front and back is in blue. 

The 'alternative' cover instead has a picture of an archer in the blue box, the Epyx logos are in red and the back of the box has an alternative surfing screenshot along with a skateboarding screenshot.

All other text on the sleeves and the manuals are identical (including the archer picture on the cover art).

Questions -

My 'alternative' sleeve has a French label on.  Are the sleeves a regional or chronological difference?

It is well established that World of Sports is a cut down version of the earlier California games (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/longplays/chinnyvision-epyx-world-of-sports/msg121656/#msg121656) but what is the version of the skateboarding in the screenshot, it's not the standard CPC, Atari, C64, Spectrum, Master System or Genesis version as far as I can see.  Is it a cut GX4000 version or something I've missed?  How I'd love it to be the former and a mystery :P

But please someone post a link to explain all to me :)

Gryzor

Up there with the great questions of our time😂

(Sorry, no idea as to the answer)

andycadley

Looks like the Amiga version to me.

dthrone

Quote from: andycadley on 10:06, 09 April 22Looks like the Amiga version to me.
Yes, definitely Amiga I think (wikipedia didn't list an Amiga version so I didn't check that).  Not a very exciting resullt then.

So are the alternative covers regional or is one a later print?  Is one more common than the other?  In order to have a truely complete boxed collection of GX4000 games do you need both alternatives?  :laugh:

I might survey what comes up on ebay and where from.  Because I'm sure there aren't better things I could be doing :picard: