News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[New Game] Dr.Roland

Started by johnlobo, 15:17, 01 July 21

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlobo

Dr. Roland is finally released.

The patient is suffering a terrible virus infection, and your role as Dr.Roland is to get rid of those ugly and funky viruses, throwing them colored vitamin capsules.
If four elements of the same color get together, all of them will disappear, and you will be one step closer to cure the infection.
Dr.Roland is a tetrislike game that you can enjoy alone with your Amstrad CPC, or in a fun battle with a friend side to side.

DrRoland can be dowloaded for free at it's itch.io page (https://johnlobo73.itch.io/drroland).

Dr.Roland is one of the disquallified entries of the last CPCRetroDev 2020, and the full package includes all the content required by the contest: snapshots, video samples, user manual and source code.

I hope you enjoy playing as much as I've enjoyed coding. All the comments are welcomed.

Version 1.1: Original music recovered, shift hazard implemented, password system eliminated.

Dr.Roland (https://johnlobo73.itch.io/drroland)

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

eto

Nice, finally a Dr. Mario clone :-D It looks great

Quote from: johnlobo on 15:17, 01 July 21disquallified entries of the last CPCRetroDev 2020

Just out of curiosity: Why was it disqualified?

andycadley

Looks cool. Always loved a bit of Dr Mario.

johnlobo

Quote from: eto on 18:12, 01 July 21
Nice, finally a Dr. Mario clone :-D It looks great

Just out of curiosity: Why was it disqualified?

It was to much like the original, and could have generated a legal response from Nintendo, and put in danger the tape compilation of the entries.

Gryzor

Looks very nice - finally an enjoyable way to play the game other than a $@#@^& nintento machine :)  Damn, can't download it here at work, itch.io is blocked...

Devlin

Ooh, go on then!

Confirming it works on my 464+usifac2 :)

Need to have a longer go on this one, I think :)

CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

spikemorrissey

I have really enjoyed playing this on my MISTer - the game is great and plays beautifully

However I am  rather disappointed that the high scores don't save and there is no password to continue from the highest level reached despite that being mentioned as a feature in the manual - would you be able to add those two features into the game please?

johnlobo

Quote from: spikemorrissey on 02:17, 08 July 21
I have really enjoyed playing this on my MISTer - the game is great and plays beautifully

However I am  rather disappointed that the high scores don't save and there is no password to continue from the highest level reached despite that being mentioned as a feature in the manual - would you be able to add those two features into the game please?
Hi,
Thank you for your comments.

The password system was something I removed in version 1.1. The game is only 21 levels long, and it seemed to me not very difficult to win, just with the current posibility of selecting the starting level of new games, up to the top level you reached in the same session. Besides, with the space saved by removing the password system, I could implement the "virus shift" hazard .

And regarding the high scores...Persisting them is something that I was evaluating at some point of the development, but I wanted the game to be playable in all models of Amstrad CPC, and that made me work with the limitations of the less powerfull one, the CPC464 with tape, what meant only 64kb of total memory, and no disk... so, due to those limitations I had to discard the idea of persiting the high scores to disk.

Anyway, thank you very much for your comments, and thank you for playing Dr.Roland.

Regards.