News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Everything looks better in scanlines!

Started by alex76gr, 12:48, 31 May 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnivius

Quote from: arkive on 11:40, 16 January 22
That certainly would be an overkill :) I was just wondering because there was a talk earlier of incorporating it in some existing emulator.

In any case, you can already achieve similar effect using existing shaders in Retroarch or ShaderGlass
Oh yeah I use shaders in Retroarch which does almost all of my emulation for me.   ShaderGlass is great too for anything else I don't use Retroarch for.   My PC is getting real old so I can't go nuts with too many shaders and filters and such but I've managed to compromise and settle for a decent config without dragging the running of the actual games down any.  I can't be doing with a 'clean' image anymore. Especially knowing how many 8 and 16 bit games actually made use of the odd aspects of CRTs particularly in their graphic choices and techniques. Aspects that just don't exist in modern TV's and so have to be faked to get the graphics to appear the way the original artists intended.   :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

andycadley

Quote from: arkive on 11:40, 16 January 22
That certainly would be an overkill :) I was just wondering because there was a talk earlier of incorporating it in some existing emulator.

In any case, you can already achieve similar effect using existing shaders in Retroarch or ShaderGlass

Yeah, these are things I might have a look into at some point. The code I had was very picky about the exact resolution it was rendering at and didn't work at all well on anything less than a 4K screen so it would still be a fair old bit of effort to make it functional.

But running it over a pre-recorded segment of Burnin' Rubber did look really nice, much more so than generic scanlines etc or basic blurring effects that some emulators seem to use. Things like the shadow under the car looked "right" and other things like Mode 2 text had that nice bleeding effect you see on a genuine monitor.

roudoudou

long time since this thread, new year means new resolutions so...

i try to made some accurate CTM filter, GT filter and also Trinitron filter because i know some people like scanlines (note that Trinitron has horizontal AND vertical scanlines, eveything else is fantasy screen!)

the filter is supposed to be used at full size (1600x1200) but the rendering is also ok in small size (800x600)

CTM

GT

Trinitron

mode 0 CTM fullsize

mode 0 CTM reduced

My pronouns are RASM and ACE