News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Field Hockey or Netball games

Started by sigh, 17:12, 04 August 21

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Quote from: Brundij on 20:06, 30 August 23Oh well I didn't notice the bottom scoreboard in the third image, my bad.

Ok, my last 2 cents here. If it ends being a 320x200 screen maybe a bit of scroll is not a problem anymore both vertically and horizontally. You can keep the original size of the court and just scroll a bit when a team is at the leftmost or rightmost part of the court same for up and down.
I don't think it's worth the hassle of having to code some scrolling on a court that small, as the scroll would be too small to make it justifiable. I would rather just have the focus on the AI of the players and the locomotion animation sets to make it look fun and lively.

I'm currently still redrawing the animations to a smaller size and there maybe a bit more space left to add some more anims.

sigh

Animations have been redone in a new size. There was enough space to add the 'slingshot' throw which is a similar to the 'one tap' auto direction ball movement to nearest player move in sensible soccer. Not much control, but it's quick.

You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.

There is also one more move which is a spin bounce pass. This is basically after touch like in football games to curve the ball. In this case, the ball would curve a little after hit the ground. This doesn't need a separate animation.

Next, I am going to redraw the backgrounds to fit the 320*200 screen size.

sigh

Here is the new court size 320*200

You cannot view this attachment.

sigh

Here is the comparison of the new scaled version of the court and players against the original version:

I'm keeping the backgrounds the same size.

sigh

Another update. The players are even smaller now(2 pixels shorter)as I was thinking that maybe they could have a bit more space to move around the court:

Any thoughts?

sigh

Resized street court. Well - not really resized, just cropped with the new lines placed on top. The only things I will be redrawing on all of these courts are the spectators.

sigh

All courts redone. I decided to stick with the shorter sprites.

Championship Court
You cannot view this attachment.   You cannot view this attachment.
                     Street Court                                               Beach Court
You cannot view this attachment.   You cannot view this attachment.
                    Bedroom Court                                           Car Park Court
                  Sports Hall Court                                          Garden Court
                      Neon Court                                             Night Club Court
                      Snow Court                                                Super Court

sigh

Had to re-colour the snow court as you wouldn't be able to see the ball. :picard:

eto

or re-colour the ball on the snow court?

sigh

Quote from: eto on 08:46, 08 September 23or re-colour the ball on the snow court?
That was my first thought, but there are many animation sprites that have the character holding the ball:

This an example and there are lots of these.

sigh

'The Bee Mob' VS 'May's Mates'

The boss from the opposing team will come onto the screen on the 3rd and 4th quarter. The boss can activate the teams special abilities.
The player and boss now have portraits to give it that 'rival' feel.

sigh

Updated the HUD positions and now have the timer at the top. I would like to know if it's easier having the HUD all in one place at the bottom rather than splitting them up?

andycadley

Quote from: sigh on 10:15, 14 September 23Updated the HUD positions and now have the timer at the top. I would like to know if it's easier having the HUD all in one place at the bottom rather than splitting them up?

Doesn't really matter if it's split up. If the screen was going to scroll, it might, but since it's basically a static screen there isn't really a reason I can think of that the precise position of things like that should make any difference.

sigh

Quote from: andycadley on 10:37, 14 September 23
Quote from: sigh on 10:15, 14 September 23Updated the HUD positions and now have the timer at the top. I would like to know if it's easier having the HUD all in one place at the bottom rather than splitting them up?

Doesn't really matter if it's split up. If the screen was going to scroll, it might, but since it's basically a static screen there isn't really a reason I can think of that the precise position of things like that should make any difference.
Thanks!

sigh

Looking at the sprite sheets, I'm wondering how much memory this would take as there is a lot of grey space. It looks as though most of the sprites have around 40% of empty space. I'm thinking that excluding the background tiles (Some which are 256 tiles) the sprites look take up between 10 - 12kb. It's the first time I have properly had a good go at creating a dedicated 64kb game. There are a few extra graphics missing for some of the special abilities, but everything will fit on these 2 sheets.

I'm imagining around 20kb for all the GFX (background tiles and the sprites) and would go for a simple menu screen like Renegade.

andycadley

A lot depends on how accurately they need to be positioned on screen. If they need to be positioned to the pixel, it may be necessary to store pre-shifted versions, which pretty much doubles the amount of RAM usage - you could shift on the fly to save storage but it will impact performance, although with small sprites maybe that's ok.

sigh

Quote from: andycadley on 11:03, 19 September 23you could shift on the fly to save storage but it will impact performance, although with small sprites maybe that's ok.
Yeah. The tallest sprites are 20 pixels high but most are 14x14. The pre shifted positions, I assume wouldn't need to be on all the sprites? They would need to be on the ball itself, the running sprite animation, skipping sprite animation, defense sprite animation and the single jumping/ball catch sprite pose? That would probably add an extra 6kb or something.