News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Field Hockey or Netball games

Started by sigh, 17:12, 04 August 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Nice mechanism. Also love the net animation! 

eto

This already looks like it's a real game. Fantastic work.

How are you doing the animations?

sigh

Thanks.

I actually have Pro Motion and am looking to start using that for all my pixel art, but I started the mock up using an older package. The run cycles that were modified from the football sprites were animated in the older software, so I just stuck with that.

sigh

Okay - one last final change to the shooting mechanic. :laugh:

Keeping it simple by just having you the hold button, then releasing the button at the apex of the jump to score a shot. Feels more natural to do it that way.

You cannot view this attachment.

I'm also thinking that the music for the game should be a more "dancey" head nodding sort of vibe instead:

Animalgril987

sigh

I'm thinking of creating the other courts for this game in order to complete it fully:

1) Team Alley - concrete court with graffiti. Red colour uniform. Ability - The opposing teams goal, grows twice the size.
2) Team Field - grassy field court with some specks of flowers. Yellow colour uniform. Ability - players move faster.
3) Team Snow - Snowy court(but with no sliding). Blue uniform. Ability - summons extra players to pass to.
4) Team Beach - Sandy court. Green uniform.
5) Team Roof - Rooftop court. Purple uniform.
6) Team Champ - Championship court with crowd. White uniform.
7) Team Super - Wooden floor court with crowd and tv cameras. Black uniform.

The last 4 teams need some special abilities:

1) Team Beach - Reverse oppositions controls for 3 seconds.
2) Team Roof  - Quickens the oppositions time for holding the ball.
3) Team Champ - Players leave banana skins while moving.
4) Team Super  - Ball turns invisible while player throws it. Last 10 seconds.

Any other ideas are welcome.

sigh

Here is the Grass Court gang with the boss waiting at the top. I've been thinking about the vibe of this game and it is leaning towards a cross between Renegade and Rival Schools.

I've decided to keep the backgrounds as simple as possible with the main details being on the pitch. I'm going to try and attempt the concrete court with a graffiti word on it, but I'm not particularly good at creating that sort of type or style font.

sigh

Concrete Court team:

https://i.imgur.com/TyRbgzX.png[/img]]

https://i.imgur.com/cL1yfYS.gif[/img]]

Some of the characters look a little lost, but this is solved when they are in there idle animation.
I'll probably tackle the snowy or sandy court next.

Anthony Flack

This is looking great!

Funny how it is, with all the thousands of sports games out there, nobody was ever bothered to make any games about female sports at all. 

sigh

Quote from: Anthony Flack on 02:48, 01 August 23This is looking great!

Funny how it is, with all the thousands of sports games out there, nobody was ever bothered to make any games about female sports at all.
True. 

You would of thought there would of been a netball game by now; the netball world cup started last friday, which has been showing on tv.

sigh

Beach Court Team. I'm going to attempt to take this same court and change the colours to create the snow court.

sigh

Snow Court:

sigh

I changed the rooftop level to a night club instead. As this whole game is viewed in a very unrealistic perspective that makes very little sense in the real world - the roof top was a bit difficult to design in an interesting but simple way. I then thought it would be more interesting to have this team who has a captain(boss) that owns a nightclub where the dance floor is a netball court.

(Also - the netball world cup finished yesterday with Australia winning, England coming second and Jamaica third.)

sigh

Here is the final stage which is the championship court.

..though I'm thinking that I may do one more stage- a secret stage - that is only available if certain requirements are met.
This would get you access to the true game ending.

sigh

Here is the Neon Court - the secret court where you play against the Netonamons*. These are robots whose ability is to make their team the same colours as yours.

Well - those are all the courts done. It's been fun doing these as the courts are far less detailed and basic (though the crowds in the Chgampionship court might be a bit too basic...) than any of the other games, which makes creating them far quicker and easier to do

*There is a story behind all this:D

sigh

Updated championship court crowd with better height variation.

sigh

You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.

From left to right:

Row 1) Super Court, Snow Court, Championship Court
Row 2) Street Court, Grass Court, Beach Court
Row 3) Club Court, Neon Court

What music tracks would you have for each of these courts? (You could provide youtube links to tracks. you think could work for a particular court) :)

sigh

I think the first 4 minutes of this soundtrack would match the vibe of this court?

sigh

I think that something funky like this could work well with this level?

sigh

Added two more teams, taking the total to ten.

The multi-court. A common court that you see, which has both basketball and netball lines. This court is shared with another team.

This is the players team court. A court in a car park where the lines are drawn with chalk. Due to a lack of funding, they don't have a court of their own.

sigh

One more court ;D .

In contrast with the Car Park court, here is a wealthy persons court that is situated in their bedroom, along with butlers and bodyguards.

So - ten normal courts and one secret court. This is a good number to stop.

A soundtrack like this (from the 1:50 mark) I think could work well with court:

jesusdelmas

Quote from: sigh on 17:13, 18 August 23One more court ;D .

In contrast with the Car Park court, here is a wealthy persons court that is situated in their bedroom, along with butlers and bodyguards.

Thats awesome, this will be an actual game. Or just graphics? Could be really good

sigh

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 18:01, 18 August 23
Quote from: sigh on 17:13, 18 August 23One more court ;D .

Thats awesome, this will be an actual game. Or just graphics? Could be really good
Thanks!

I would absolutely love this to be an actual game. I think it would be the first netball game (and I mean proper netball game, not just a game where you just shoot a ball into a basket) ever made.

All the sprite animations plus the court graphics are all done and all the game mechanics, are pretty much sorted. However - I think that getting a programmer interested in this would be extremely difficult. There also aren't any examples of this type of game that you could reference from easily. Basketball - could be seen as the closest, but in basketball, you can move whilst holding the ball, but with netball you have to stay rooted in the spot while you are holding the ball. In basketball you can dunk, while in netball you are not allowed to dunk and can only throw the ball into the net from a standing position. Basketball has contact, but netball doesn't.

There are quite a few differences and it's less complicated than basketball, football, tennis games (still would need fun AI) etc, which is why I thought to eliminate  scrolling in the game and instead show the whole court (like Basket Master or Tennis games) and just focus on fast arcadey action.

If anyone could shoot in any ideas for what music/soundtracks they think would match the different courts, that would be appreciated.

sigh

Music style for the multi court. A calmer court with a dance track that is not too intense:

sigh

Music starts at 0:13. A nice simple loop?