Fix for Ghosts n Goblins (by Elite in 1986) to lose armour before losing life?

Started by Madcommodore, 15:39, 08 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Madcommodore

I wondered if anybody knew of a tape image with a trained version of Ghosts n Goblin for the CPC by Elite software that actually fixes the problem of instantly losing a life rather than losing your armour first before losing a life?

I can see infinite lives pokes and invulnerability pokes on the CPC-power tape image download page, not even sure how to use those pokes on a real 464 with a tape deck, didn't see a tape image with a trainer option. My CDT archive also has the same original release CDT tape image included too. 

Have a lot of nostalgia for this game and it is really nice except for that complete mess of an omission in the conversion! Forgot how off-putting that is, GnG is already an extremely tough arcade game more suited to swallowing coins than spending months on a home computer trying to crack it....would be nice if this feature was put back in.

(I only have a 464 and can only load stuff from CDT images)

Shaun M. Neary

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. There's only 3 levels in the Amstrad version of the game.
It was fun at the time, but the Plus/GX4000 remakes are much better now.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Madcommodore

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:46, 09 July 22Honestly, I wouldn't bother. There's only 3 levels in the Amstrad version of the game.
It was fun at the time, but the Plus/GX4000 remakes are much better now.
Seen that yonks ago, even tried it on emulator (which I need to do on a Windows PC yuck!) There is no way to play that stuff on real hardware without me spending a fortune and I have no nostalgia for those machines either or even own a GX4000 or 6128plus.

I want to play the games I played with my best friend back then but it would be nice if it was fixed rather than using infinite lives/invul' cheats to do so. 

I have almost one of everything, every format only gets a budget of 30-40 bucks to load emulator files to play on real hardware. I never bought a 6128plus or a GX4000 and never will (because nobody in the Amstrad community seems to want to even watch any of my YT real hardware CPC videos lol)

GUNHED

Well, I watched one of your videos. Now, go and get the 6128plus and do some stuff for it.  ;) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

andycadley

I suspect the code to handle Arthur losing his armour, not to mention the related graphics is simply not present at all and so "fixing" it would be a fairly significant effort in and of itself. At which point you might as well fix numerous other issues with the game (like the enhanced C64 version did) at which point it loses any weird nostalgia.

Or play the GX version, which is genuinely brilliant.

Madcommodore

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:18, 14 July 22Well, I watched one of your videos. Now, go and get the 6128plus and do some stuff for it.  ;) :)
You are probably the only person that did from this entire forum lol 

I have one of almost everything, the CPC box is well and truly ticked. Things like 6128plus and GOTEK really go into the same pile as Falcon, SAM Coupe and Jaguar etc, cost vs games you get to play is too expensive. Like I said to somebody else I would rather spend that sort of money on getting a cheap Chinese flashcarts for 6 or so different consoles. 

I don't have a reason to actually buy a 6128 let alone a 6128plus. The 464 is the rival to the 800XL and C64 that me and my other friends had, as long as I can play all the best 1980s games I played with my friends back then when 8bit was the right choice that suits my needs :)  6128plus was for people who couldn't afford an Amiga 500 lol

GUNHED

Well, I wouldn't exchange my 6128plus with any kind of Amiga. Even if you would pack some $$$ on it. Because I can to things with the 6128plus the Amiga can't.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eto

andycadley

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Animalgril987

But @MaV , that's not the same game. The Amiga one has a "g" at the end of "Burning"
:D

MaV

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 21:21, 21 July 22But @MaV , that's not the same game. The Amiga one has a "g" at the end of "Burning"
:D
Argh! Almost! :D
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

GUNHED

Axel

I was the proud owner of the CPC6128 back then, the one and only CPC. With the super-fast discdrive and enough memory.
I don't like the cheap looking 464 with its crappy tape-drive.

The 6128+ looks also like a delicate piece. But sadly it comes a few years to late for me :(

eto

Quote from: GUNHED on 04:21, 23 July 22
Quote from: eto on 18:45, 21 July 22
Quote from: GUNHED on 15:14, 21 July 22Because I can to things with the 6128plus the Amiga can't.
Like what?
Absolutely everything I want or need.
But what of it can the Plus do, but not the Amiga?

I mean, I know that the Plus is a lot of fun but I don't know anything the Plus can do, that the Amiga can't.

GUNHED

Neither I want to start a(nother) flame war - nor I want to compare the "size". That's Kindergarten.

Of course both computer can do things the other one can't.

If you want to do a 'real life' comparison, we can do that.
You suggest three tests and I suggest three tests. Here come my 3 not-well-overthought-ideas:
1. Copy a 3,5" disc, measure time you need
2. Switch the computer on, start a text editor / word processor, type in "X" or "Hello world", print the text, save it. And shut the computer down. Measure the time you need.
3. ... anyone up for a good idea? It's hot here... Ok, idea #3 could be: How much multitasking tasks can you run at the same time.

If you have other / better ideas please let us know. It will be fun to compare both computers in a real life way - and not just some theoretical values.

And please don't tell me somthing like "Oh, that's not 'off the shelves'". I means every CPC and Amigo does have some expansions today. Like, 2nd floppy, RAM expansions whatever.
And yes, we don't count stuff like super-cpu, which makes the computer the keyboard only of an expansion.

Prodatron

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:31, 24 July 222. Switch the computer on, start a text editor / word processor, type in "X" or "Hello world", print the text, save it. And shut the computer down. Measure the time you need.
:picard: phew...

Bild 1 - BING ORGA PRIVAT Schreibmaschine um 1923

My Orga Privat from the 1920ies can do this in one second :laugh:

We had a german guy called "OAS" (later aka "Hypnomega") who was also very convinced, that the CPC Plus could beat the Amiga. That was a funny time.

Anyway, it's always annoying, when TFM tries to capture another thread.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

BSC

Y'all should ignore Gunhed and all incarnations of this super troll, I did that years ago and it's great! 

Seriously .. totally stuck in the 90s in every way. 
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

rexbeng

Quote from: Prodatron on 21:54, 24 July 22My Orga Privat from the 1920ies can do this in one second :laugh:
Nice! Will it run Vespertino though?

eto

GUNHED

Quote from: Prodatron on 21:54, 24 July 22
Quote from: GUNHED on 14:31, 24 July 222. Switch the computer on, start a text editor / word processor, type in "X" or "Hello world", print the text, save it. And shut the computer down. Measure the time you need.
:picard: phew...

Bild 1 - BING ORGA PRIVAT Schreibmaschine um 1923

My Orga Privat from the 1920ies can do this in one second :laugh:

We had a german guy called "OAS" (later aka "Hypnomega") who was also very convinced, that the CPC Plus could beat the Amiga. That was a funny time.

Anyway, it's always annoying, when TFM tries to capture another thread.
Well, I just answered questions. That's all, but this forum got two guys always bitching at everything from my side. That's not only trolling, that childish jealousy. The other guy is bsc btw. Just put me on your ignore list please and leave me alone with your kindergarten carp. Grow up guys - seriously!

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

rexbeng

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:51, 26 July 22Well, I just answered questions.
To be honest, I cannot see any answers given. The question by Eto was ' But what of it can the Plus do, but not the Amiga? '.

So, really, what is it exactly that the Amiga cannot do? All I see is an assumption that the CPC can do a particular task a bit faster than the Amiga. This is entirely different to (I am quoting your words) ' Because I can to things with the 6128plus the Amiga can't. '

Animalgril987