News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Fluff

Started by Xyphoe, 17:18, 03 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Trebmint

Cool videos, and brought back some memories. Certainly I don't believe that so many of the sprites we corrupted on the original, although I'm aware of some that flew backwards, and the odd piece of ghosting.

Has got me thinking about a new Fluff game. Certainly I think more can be done graphically, with faster gameplay, full directional scrolling etc... the game perhaps the original should have been. I will start making some plans and jotting down a few routines over next few days

Xyphoe

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:59, 05 December 10
Oh and that video features the corrupt graphics version... you need either the original code before it was copied, or an original disk. I know, I've played it to death and tried to copy it, and those are the results.

Hi Mark - do you have an original disk? If so can you compare and point out on the vids bits where things are corrupted?

Same thing to Rob too really, I should really add in the description that this is likely to also be a bad transfer and not just emulation issues if so.

Xyphoe

Someones just commented on the vid that the Arnold emulator does Plus emulation (yikes ... I was not aware of that) and apparently the game looks much better within. I've just downloaded and installed it, but as Fluff is joystick only and requires the fire button being pressed I can't progress past the title screen as Arnold doesn't appear to allow me to map keys to the joystick? Can anyone help? Don't have a USB joystick to test.

AMSDOS

ukmarkh wrote:

Fluff was a good game for the time! If anything, when compared to the others i.e Mario and Sonic it probably lacked a little pace. But at the time it was the CPC's answer!

Unlikely since it didn't run on a CPC!!  ???  Which was why a CPC had games like Rainbow Islands, Turbo The Tortoise, Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo & Rick Dangerous! At least we could also play Prehistoric 2 and Titus The Fox as well!  ;)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

norecess

I did not know anything about this game, but looks really amateurish.

CPCLER

I think Fluff is looking awsome..  :D

Quote from: norecess on 03:43, 06 December 10

arnoldemu

Quote from: Xyphoe on 01:32, 06 December 10
Someones just commented on the vid that the Arnold emulator does Plus emulation (yikes ... I was not aware of that) and apparently the game looks much better within. I've just downloaded and installed it, but as Fluff is joystick only and requires the fire button being pressed I can't progress past the title screen as Arnold doesn't appear to allow me to map keys to the joystick? Can anyone help? Don't have a USB joystick to test.
Try the number pad keys 4,8,6,2, and 0.

Failing that I'll send you a new version I am working on ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ukmarkh

Quote from: CP/M User on 01:53, 06 December 10
ukmarkh wrote:

Fluff was a good game for the time! If anything, when compared to the others i.e Mario and Sonic it probably lacked a little pace. But at the time it was the CPC's answer!

Unlikely since it didn't run on a CPC!!  ???  Which was why a CPC had games like Rainbow Islands, Turbo The Tortoise, Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo & Rick Dangerous! At least we could also play Prehistoric 2 and Titus The Fox as well!  ;)

No need to be a dick about it... it's obvious that I was talking about the Plus, even though I accidently used the phrase CPC.

TFM

Quote from: norecess on 03:43, 06 December 10

Well, if you think so, you should make a better one  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

Reminds me some Atari STE's too few games...

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:19, 06 December 10
Reminds me some Atari STE's too few games...

Another similar doomed effort, the STe. I wanted it to succeed so badly... *sigh*

Sykobee (Briggsy)

It looks like a nice game, it's odd when the character walks at the bottom of the screen though, I keep thinking it should drop through! If a Fluff 2 could be made that had some vertical scrolling to allow a higher play area (even if only a little bit more, it doesn't need to be Turrican-esque!) that would be great. A level editor would be fun! As would a graphics editor for custom level sets with their own theme.

Trebmint

Quote from: Briggsy on 13:55, 07 December 10
It looks like a nice game, it's odd when the character walks at the bottom of the screen though, I keep thinking it should drop through! If a Fluff 2 could be made that had some vertical scrolling to allow a higher play area (even if only a little bit more, it doesn't need to be Turrican-esque!) that would be great. A level editor would be fun! As would a graphics editor for custom level sets with their own theme.

Yes the next one would have vertical scrolling too. I'd plan to make the editor super flexible too, more like a platform game creator for the plus, as it will assemble the z80 from the editor. I do plan it to output cart only, not for cpc

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Trebmint on 13:51, 08 December 10

Yes the next one would have vertical scrolling too. I'd plan to make the editor super flexible too, more like a platform game creator for the plus, as it will assemble the z80 from the editor. I do plan it to output cart only, not for cpc

That sounds good to me! Best of luck with it all (and finding the time to do it) :-)

All I need now is a CPC Plus core for FPGAArcade when it comes out, that supports selectable cartridge images.

Xyphoe

Hey Rob, I was just reading an old issue of Amstrad Action (issue 76) and found a couple of mentions of you in the Balrog (Adventure game) section!

Apparently your Eve Of Shadows adventure game got 2nd place in the Best Graphic/Text 8-bit Adventure category at the prestigious(!) "Adventure Probe" convention in Birmingham! :P

Balrog also has this bit -
"Rob Buckley's latest : Butch Cowardice and the Undersea Adventure is the name of Rob Buckley's newest game .... which the Balg had a sneak preview of at the convention. Rob is still working away on the game but it is window-driven using a very impressive graphical interface. On top of this, Rob plans to use both sides of the disk - that'll be 360k of pure adventure! What out for it..."

Sounds interesting! Whatever happened to this? :)

TFM

Have these games ever been released?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Trebmint

Quote from: Xyphoe on 19:49, 08 December 10
Hey Rob, I was just reading an old issue of Amstrad Action (issue 76) and found a couple of mentions of you in the Balrog (Adventure game) section!

Apparently your Eve Of Shadows adventure game got 2nd place in the Best Graphic/Text 8-bit Adventure category at the prestigious(!) "Adventure Probe" convention in Birmingham! :P

Balrog also has this bit -
"Rob Buckley's latest : Butch Cowardice and the Undersea Adventure is the name of Rob Buckley's newest game .... which the Balg had a sneak preview of at the convention. Rob is still working away on the game but it is window-driven using a very impressive graphical interface. On top of this, Rob plans to use both sides of the disk - that'll be 360k of pure adventure! What out for it..."

Sounds interesting! Whatever happened to this? :)

This along with all of my development disks went long ago unfortunately. The only record of it I think would be a few images in an advert in a Radical Amstrad Action advert.

I know it might sound like sacriledge but I had a 3" disc burning ceremony some years ago in an attempt to stop me wasting time on writing z80. I now much regret my stupidity

Gryzor

ivarf

Quote from: Trebmint on 15:01, 09 December 10

This along with all of my development disks went long ago unfortunately. The only record of it I think would be a few images in an advert in a Radical Amstrad Action advert.

I know it might sound like sacriledge but I had a 3" disc burning ceremony some years ago in an attempt to stop me wasting time on writing z80. I now much regret my stupidity

and this link http://cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=2677 
which was posted earlier in the thread
and the diskimage for the game  http://cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dsk&num=2677

redbox

Quote from: Trebmint on 15:01, 09 December 10
an attempt to stop me wasting time on writing z80

Writing z80 is never wasted time.

It teaches you to become a lean, mean programmer  8)

Executioner

Quote from: Xyphoe on 00:56, 05 December 10
OK I just booted up Fluff on a real Plus machine, and there are some noticeable differences in regards to colours and also the background 'sky'.

Best example is in the jungle/forest level the background - on a real Plus the sky is mixture of gradualated reds and blues split in the middle 50/50, yet Winape only gives the reds. Also the trees are a nice brown, but are instead very red on Winape.

I'd like to know about any colour differences. Of course, a PC with a LCD monitor is quite different to a CTM644 or similar. Also, what colour depth did you have on your PC? Full Screen mode and if so was it 8 or 16 bits per pixel, and linear palette?

EgoTrip

Any progress on the new version of Fluff?

kawickboy

And what about the street fighter 2 clone by Rob (preview shown in AA) ? It was for cpc old.

Nich

Quote from: kawickboy on 13:03, 07 September 11
And what about the street fighter 2 clone by Rob (preview shown in AA) ? It was for cpc old.
That was Lethal Moves. I have written an article about the game on CPCWiki.