News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Game's that you feel need more recognition...!

Started by Puresox, 21:18, 23 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

ralferoo

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:24, 30 July 13
I think Retro Gamer had actually given it two thumbs up, but I don't think too many people have enjoyed it...
Oh Mummy was one of my favourite games. Even though it came with the CPC, I'd still load it up years after for a quick go. And yeah, the music was an incredible earworm!

Gryzor

Didn't hurt that one of the games I loved before the CPC was Qix... :)

Puresox

Oh Qix is brilliant! It is a shame there isn't a decent port on the Amstrad , Skyx is a bit to messy to enjoy [size=78%]and I don't think the controls are to hot, and Zolyx is bollox , Nah it's alright but no Qix.[/size]

Gryzor

My bad, I meant Amidar (closer to Oh Mummy), but love Qix as well. So minimal and sooo bad!

Puresox

Yeah Amidar is very similar ! Classic arcade game , used to love it and still do.

Lazy Dude

I seem to remember the 2 joysticks I killed whilst hammering away at Harrier Attack when I got my new 464 - best of the freebees, not sure it needs recognition because its anything great, but good as a starting point for Durell software who went on to make some decent combat sim games.
Oh Mummy - fun yet somehow irritating, think it was prob due to the hyper speeding up on higher levels - bonkers!

Gryzor

I think Harrier Attack got all the attention it deserved over the years :)

But, speaking of broken joysticks... Speed King!

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Seriously, my dad and I used to play it and bank left and right trying to tackle those corners... *sigh*

Puresox

I've been giving the great Centipede clone 'Wriggler' a burn , and it is a fantastic game that is the best Centipede game on  the Amstrad , but it is brutally hard. Well the balance of the game is almost spot on ,I think just a touch unfair with the Spider's movements which tip the scales. I am trying hard to get to the bonus game by killing 10 centipedes , but am pulling my hair out with frustration , I can probably get about 7.  Really rate this game it is fairly true to the arcade version, apart from the movement of your gun is limited to two rows , but other than that it is spot on.

Munchausen

I loved legend of kage, for the music and atmosphere if nothing else. I've only ever gotten to the second level once, and tend to lose interest fairly quickly, but nonetheless I can't help firing it up every so often, there's something great about it.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that this game might not be all that obscure... IDK!

sigh

The Scout Steps Out!

An Amsoft game with some cool music and gameplay.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:02, 01 August 13
But, speaking of broken joysticks... Speed King!

Should of done what I did and saved up my pocket money to get a "Star Cursor" Joystick. I never managed to break the directional control on that thing and it still works.  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

alex76gr

Zub
(http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1174)

A very enjoyable and with great humor underdog!
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

Puresox

Zub was pretty good , but really frustrating if you fell off a platform near the top. It had great presentation and music!
Legend of Kage, I never really saw the point of the game , I only recently worked out how to get off the first level , not that I ever gave the game much attention , to be bothered before. Music was quite enchanting though.

dcdrac

mr_lou

I really think Radzone deserves more recognition.

I don't know how much magazines have said about it, but when I've mentioned the game here, it seems to me like people don't know it enough.

Great game with lots and lots of varied levels. Awesome sounds that aren't excessive but kept to a minimum to set the mood, and the graphics are cozy.

Puresox

I'm gonna have to check Radzone  out again! I don't remember it being that good from my point of view. I seem to remember the music being Stunning but the gameplay was really sketchy.I shall go and give it some attention and  re-evaluate.

AMSDOS

I tried playing Radzone a couple of times, and it's a nice idea, though I could never really get into it.  :-[

In terms of games which are a combination of BASIC & Assembly, I enjoy playing Paul Shirley's Quack-a-Jack, which is a simple game in nature, though sometimes it's those simple games which attract me to play them.  8) Quack-a-Jack seems to be overshadowed by Spindizzy though.  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

dcdrac

If Dooms Day Blues had been a little easier it would have been a classic

dcdrac

Dun Darach, Tir Na Nog, Marsport and Heavy on the Magick all Gargoyle games very ahrd but good and engaging
And Harvey Headbanger by Firebird, simple but very addictive

Puresox

Had another go at Radzone and I find it almost a good game , but I find the controls really messy,which lets it down massively.

mr_lou

Quote from: Puresox on 18:18, 10 August 13
Had another go at Radzone and I find it almost a good game , but I find the controls really messy,which lets it down massively.

Messy how?

Puresox

I find them unresponsive. I don't find trying to jump onto something  very easy amongst other things that I struggle to find the right words to describe , Just something about it, is not right for me anyhow. The controls on Donkey Kong for example, feel tight and sure . Radzone I just find it awkward.

mr_lou

Quote from: Puresox on 19:37, 10 August 13
I find them unresponsive. I don't find trying to jump onto something  very easy amongst other things that I struggle to find the right words to describe , Just something about it, is not right for me anyhow. The controls on Donkey Kong for example, feel tight and sure . Radzone I just find it awkward.

I know what you mean. The response from the character in Radzone is indeed different than the response from Mario in Donkey Kong. If I was a real Radzone fanatic, I would defend it with something like "How fast would YOU move in a space suit?!"  ;)
It took me a while to get used to too, as far as I remember. But once you get used to it, you can get far, and even make moves you didn't think you could. Like e.g., in the level just right of the starting level, you can actually climb the vertical lamp-looking-thingies in each side by going top-right top-left top-right top-left and so forth.

But I admit I'm biased. Because I played Radzone a lot in my childhood and have a lot of great memories of it, despite never getting very far back then. I've almost completed the game twice in recent years though.

Still, when I compare Radzone with MANY other CPC games, I have to say that, Radzone is playable while a lot of other CPC games are just too difficult. Either they have enemies spawning way too fast, making the game completely unplayable, or else there's some pixel-perfect precision requirement, or some other silly thing messing it up. But Radzone is playable, not too difficult, lots of variation, many many screens, great atmosphere. It deserves more time. It does not deserve to be trashed after 5 minutes because you think the controls are different than other games.

Just saying.  :)