News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gaza 2 on the GX4000

Started by Gryzor, 08:26, 21 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Xyphoe on 22:39, 21 May 15
HEH!

What timing... I guess not many people check the gx4000.co.uk site I do, but I posted an article about this very thing yesterday morning! It collects everything I've found so far about the game....

http://gx4000.co.uk/main/the-lost-cart-gazza-ii-on-the-amstrad-gx4000/

Look at those screenshots from AA. Notice anything odd about them? They are photographs and not the usual screen grabs that AA used. Not only that, but it's not even photos to the same quality AA was doing a few years before.

Now at this time I believe Future only had 1 set of capture gear that the mags shared on a rota. So did someone from Empire bring a cart in one day so AA could play it and then take it away again afterwards the same day resulting in the quickie screenshots or did AA play the game elsewhere on a development system.

Either way its very odd.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

seanb

Quote from: Nich on 21:46, 21 May 15
Some of you may not have seen Xyphoe's thread asking for a scan of AA's review of the cartridge version of Gazza II. I've posted a link to my own scan of the review on that thread.

AA seemed to like it quite a lot. I'd love to know why the cartridge version was never released as it looked pretty impressive with good use of the extended palette.

Damn.  Missed it.
If anyone needs any scans I have them all on pdf for future reference
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Xyphoe

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:17, 21 May 15

Look at those screenshots from AA. Notice anything odd about them? They are photographs and not the usual screen grabs that AA used. Not only that, but it's not even photos to the same quality AA was doing a few years before.

Now at this time I believe Future only had 1 set of capture gear that the mags shared on a rota. So did someone from Empire bring a cart in one day so AA could play it and then take it away again afterwards the same day resulting in the quickie screenshots or did AA play the game elsewhere on a development system.

Either way its very odd.

Well spotted and observed.

Someone needs to get in touch with Adam Waring!

zeropolis79

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:17, 21 May 15

Either way its very odd.

I re-read the review and see what you mean. The process for taking photos of screenshots was based on a process developed by a bloke called John Cura who photographed TV programs from 1947 - 1968 (he died 1969) and the Gazza 2 photographs looked very low quality compared to some pics from Mr. Cura.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 22:48, 29 May 15

I re-read the review and see what you mean. The process for taking photos of screenshots was based on a process developed by a bloke called John Cura who photographed TV programs from 1947 - 1968 (he died 1969) and the Gazza 2 photographs looked very low quality compared to some pics from Mr. Cura.

The point being that by then AA were using proper screen grabbing gear rather than photos so why does the Gazza 2 review use photos?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

zeropolis79

As one theorised, they might have only been able to get photographs if needed quickly OR Empire could have supplied the photos themselves. The screenshots in their adverts look like photographs.

ivarf

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 10:32, 30 May 15

The point being that by then AA were using proper screen grabbing gear rather than photos so why does the Gazza 2 review use photos?

Man how much I hated it when Amstrad Action started with those screengrabs. Same problems with screenshot-quality as Retro Gamer have today. The photos was always better

Phantomz

Sorry it's not the proper enhanced version for the GX4000 / PLUS, but you can now play the original version on the GX4000  ;D

I've just posted it in the other thread  8)

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)