News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GB TETRIS EMULATOR TEMU FOR AMSTRAD CPC 6128(+)

Started by 40Crisis, 21:24, 17 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

pelrun

Oops, I totally thought it was 40Crisis who posted that  :picard2: :doh:

TotO

Quote from: 40Crisis on 21:24, 17 September 20
This is my lame attempt to emulate GB Tetris on a CPC ;D
Can we expect to have something like that? (very WIP theme)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

40Crisis

Quote from: Liartes on 08:01, 18 September 20
As the GB hardware is more-or-less Z80 based, is your application emulating all the GB or "just" some parts ?
Anyway I am impressed !
Tetris was one of the first GB game, if not the first.
It's not a very demanding game, that's why emulating it on a CPC is possible.
Gameboy processor is very close to Z80.
I "only" needed for tetris to add emulation support for 8 extra instructions not present in Z80.
It doesn't use "tricky" graphics rendering, the graphics emulation engine just fit this.
Also sound emulation is very basic.

40Crisis

Quote from: Skunkfish on 08:05, 18 September 20
It's really impressive indeed, I wonder if other games would be possible? I imagine Super Mario Land may struggle with the scrolling...?
It's possible because tetris is not a very demanding game.Keep in mind you have to render on the CPC at 60hz background graphics in 4 colors (160x144) + up to 40  8x8 sprites

40Crisis

Quote from: Xyphoe on 10:36, 18 September 20
A minor thing to report - got to the ending on Type A - the rocket ship taking off is quite glitchy and flickery. Not complaining, just reporting things as I find.
I'm absolutely loving this of course :)
I'm perfectly aware of how imperfect it is in the bonuses parts. I spent many time trying to fix it and find the best compromise.
In this part of the game, 40 sprites 8x8 need to be renderered. That's why it"s very slow on the CPC (major framerate drop ).
Fortunately, ingame only up to 12 sprites 8x8 are needed.

40Crisis

Quote from: TotO on 18:43, 18 September 20
Can we expect to have something like that? (very WIP theme)
I'll try if you can provide me with cpc palette data

TotO

Quote from: 40Crisis on 20:25, 18 September 20
I'll try if you can provide me with cpc palette data
OK, I will give you that and a new palette too if you like it. :)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

@40Crisis : The idea is to use, if possible, a 256x224 screen area and a white border to fake the Game Boy bezel.

Theme 01 test:
- BORDER = 26
- INK 0 = 3
- INK 1 = 13
- INK 2 = 16
- INK 3 = 25

Theme 02 test:
- BORDER = 26
- INK 0 = 9
- INK 1 = 13
- INK 2 = 12
- INK 3 = 25

Theme 03 test:
- BORDER = 26
- INK 0 = 0
- INK 1 = 13
- INK 2 = 12
- INK 3 = 25

zeropolis79

In theory, if it was renamed to the same filename required for the program, could other early Gameboy games be run on this program?

TotO

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 21:46, 18 September 20
In theory, if it was renamed to the same filename required for the program, could other early Gameboy games be run on this program?
The ROM is probably patched to get control over it. And no scrolling support, but Dr.Mario may be?  ;D

vasilisk

Do we save "with header" or "without header" ?

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

pelrun

Quote from: vasilisk on 22:02, 18 September 20
Do we save "with header" or "without header" ?
You absolutely need the header, otherwise AMSDOS can't load it as a binary file.

40Crisis

Quote from: TotO on 20:43, 18 September 20
@40Crisis : The idea is to use, if possible, a 256x224 screen area and a white border to fake the Game Boy marquee.

Theme 01 test:
- BORDER = 26
- INK 0 = 3
- INK 1 = 13
- INK 2 = 16
- INK 3 = 25

Theme 02 test:
- BORDER = 26
- INK 0 = 9
- INK 1 = 13
- INK 2 = 12
- INK 3 = 25

Theme 03 test:
- BORDER = 26
- INK 0 = 0
- INK 1 = 13
- INK 2 = 12
- INK 3 = 25

Test version - resolution changed to 256x224 + 3 sets of palette - Personally, I only like the theme03 because the others give "messy" menus

40Crisis

Sorry, no way

pelrun

It's best not to think of this as emulation. It's more accurately a port, replacing the gameboy-specific code in the rom with CPC equivalents. It just happens to do it on the fly rather than being packaged as a pre-modified binary.

TotO

Quote from: 40Crisis on 10:18, 19 September 20
Test version - resolution changed to 256x224 + 3 sets of palette - Personally, I only like the theme03 because the others give "messy" menus
It seems less empty like that.
Thank you! ;D

Sure, the palettes tests are probably not the best choice. Sorry I will rethink about that!!!
Can we add few design things on the screen to improve the bezel visual?
(palette update for the colour strips, texts and rounded corners)

zeropolis79

Thanks - I've not had the chance to try it yet but I'll be trying it on my Plus this evening..

Skunkfish

TotO, that marquee looks stunning! I hope 40Crisis has a chance to implement?  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

40Crisis

Quote from: TotO on 11:38, 19 September 20
It seems less empty like that.
Thank you! ;D

Sure, the palettes tests are probably not the best choice. Sorry I will rethink about that!!!
Can we add few design things on the screen to improve the marquee visual?
(palette update for the colour strips, texts and rounded corners)
Toto, do you have the inlay in cpc format with palettes values ?

TotO

Quote from: 40Crisis on 19:47, 19 September 20
TotO, do you have the inlay in cpc format with palettes values ?
Sure, I can provide you what you want. (may be not today)

40Crisis

roudoudou

Hi @40Crisis Can you tell us how the emulator works?
Thank you
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

norecess464

Woaahh this reminds me the excitement I got when I discovered Syx/TotO's PacMan emulator few years ago..!

Splendid, I'm sincerely impressed.

Please, release a V2 with some (if not all..) of the improvements from TotO ! :)
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!