News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GB TETRIS EMULATOR TEMU FOR AMSTRAD CPC 6128(+)

Started by 40Crisis, 21:24, 17 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

40Crisis

Hello,

This is my lame attempt to emulate GB Tetris on a CPC ;D For everyone tranquility, please never include tetris rom in distribution package.
Enjoy.

Gryzor

Whoa, got to see this.

So I've dumped my original cart, how do I run it?

40Crisis

You're absolutely right...Read the txt file in the archive for instructions

Gryzor

Ah apologies, I'm on the mobile and I didn't notice it was a zip file. All is clear.

jackic

Is this for real? I can't make it work, I tried both versions of the tetris rom I own, 1.0 and 1.1 seems to load something but the only feature that seems to work is the palette change.

40Crisis

A little help:- Only works on a CPC 6128 or CPC 6128+ - Rom file name on CPC disk must be rom.bin

Skunkfish

Really odd, the error I seem to be getting is a 'Syntax error in 70' which is 'load "!rom.bin",&2000

I try that outside of the program and get the same result?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

pelrun

How are you getting the rom into the dsk image? It's really easy to add it without the amsdos header and then nothing will work right.

Skunkfish

Just realised that mistake, I'm now enjoying some Tetris goodness on my Plus!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Liartes

As the GB hardware is more-or-less Z80 based, is your application emulating all the GB or "just" some parts ?
Anyway I am impressed !

Skunkfish

It's really impressive indeed, I wonder if other games would be possible? I imagine Super Mario Land may struggle with the scrolling...?

flibblesan

Very very cool and impressive work!

Runs nicely in WinApe.  :)

Xyphoe

Well now, that is just BRILLIANT! GREAT JOB!

So I had a little trouble with this to start with, so I'll clarify some things....

1) Use the "ManageDSK" tool -> http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ManageDsk
2) You'll want the the v1.1 rom of Tetris, v1.0 did not work for me at all.
3) Rename it to "rom.bin" as the guide says, and import as a BINARY (not ASCII) file in ManageDSK and save the disk.
4) This should work in say Winape which I tested in, but make sure you're in 6128 or 6128 Plus mode (I tested with the latter).

:)

pelrun

Quote from: Liartes on 08:01, 18 September 20
As the GB hardware is more-or-less Z80 based, is your application emulating all the GB or "just" some parts ?
Luckily the GB CPU is entirely a subset of the Z80, so most of the code will run directly - emulation would be far too slow. Hardware access is another thing altogether so the appropriate bits of the rom would be replaced with CPC specific code instead.
The rom banking on the GB is very different, so I expect only the small number of games which didn't use a mapper at all (https://gbhwdb.gekkio.fi/cartridges/no-mapper.html) could be ported this way. SML would be right out :D

pelrun

Also - "lame attempt"? It runs perfectly! Even the sound works! This is fantastic!

Xyphoe

Been playing a bit now, and it plays perfectly!
The only thing a bit off is some of the sound emulation for the title screen music, and some in game sfx. Can that be fixed or is that impossible?
(Not saying you should, I'm more than happy with what we've got!)

Suggestion - a 6128 Plus version with more options on the palette, so we can more accurately emulate the GB's colours :)

Gryzor

Quote from: Xyphoe on 09:12, 18 September 20Suggestion - a 6128 Plus version with more options on the palette, so we can more accurately emulate the GB's colours

Well the included text says:

Change display palette: 0 Key (18 different sets of palettes)
GB cursor: Arrows keys or OPQA keys or joystick
Start: Enter or Return Key
Select: Space Bar Key
A button: Tab Key or Joy Fire 1
B button: CapsLock Key or Joy Fire 2
Emulate original GB palette on CPC+: 4 keys combination plus (will crash if used on a non + machine).

pelrun

That description is incredibly vague, apparently it means you hold down the keys P L U S together to switch.

Xyphoe

OH wow.
I totally missed that. My bad.
And yes, you have to hold down the keys P L U S and it works! woo! It gets EVEN better!!
Definitely going to feature this on tonight's AMSTREAM on YouTube, especially because it's an Amstrad 464/6128 Plus special tonight - and we have a Plus palette here!

Xyphoe

A minor thing to report - got to the ending on Type A - the rocket ship taking off is quite glitchy and flickery. Not complaining, just reporting things as I find.
I'm absolutely loving this of course :)

TotO

Dear 40Crisis,

A GB emulator on CPC was a nice challenge "expected" since years.
It is really great to achieve that with Tetris!  8)

Congratulations,

TotO
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Redbug

Ok..
You break the game :(
My port seems so.... a waste of time...

https://www.facebook.com/redbug/videos/10158439917016668/?t=3
RedBug/Crazy Piri
Crazy Piri's productions are available on itch.io
AMSnews.fr, a new french information site about the Amstrad. Be the first to know.

Gryzor

pelrun

Quote from: Redbug on 15:05, 18 September 20
My port seems so.... a waste of time...

Redbug just posted a comment practically saying the same thing about his port after seeing yours  :o

Redbug

Quote from: pelrun on 15:39, 18 September 20

Redbug just posted a comment practically saying the same thing about his port after seeing yours  :o

?? I don't understand. You quote me to say that I have said the quote ? ;)
RedBug/Crazy Piri
Crazy Piri's productions are available on itch.io
AMSnews.fr, a new french information site about the Amstrad. Be the first to know.