Author Topic: Ghosts'n Goblins for Amstrad PLUS 128K [PREVIEW]  (Read 24429 times)

Offline BSC

• 464 Plus
  • CPC 464 aspirant
    • bsc.cpcscene.net
    • Awards
Re: Ghosts'n Goblins for Amstrad PLUS 128K [PREVIEW]
« Reply #100 on: 19:38, 23 November 21 »
It looks fantastic! I don't mean to being overly critical, but I am sincerely wondering why the scrolling (at least in the video) is not as fluid as one would expect it from the ASIC .. I am referring mainly to the horizontal scrolling, looks like it is at 25 fps ..
« Last Edit: 19:42, 23 November 21 by BSC »
No reactions

Offline kawickboy

• 464 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: 13:50, 25 November 21 »
Any physical release planned ?
No reactions

Offline Golem13

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: 15:19, 25 November 21 »
Any physical release planned ?

Yes, if there are fans, it is likely that we will make a physical collector's version. In any case, technically we have the possibility.
Members reacted like:
Gryzor,HAL 6128,JayBlood,XeNoMoRPH,Urusergi,eto,

Offline Golem13

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: 15:44, 25 November 21 »
It looks fantastic! I don't mean to being overly critical, but I am sincerely wondering why the scrolling (at least in the video) is not as fluid as one would expect it from the ASIC .. I am referring mainly to the horizontal scrolling, looks like it is at 25 fps ..

You are absolutely right, the game is at 25fps. It can run 90% of the time at 50fps, but there are still 10% of the time, in given situations, where it would go down to 25fps. Having experienced it, these slowdowns are quite unsightly and unpleasant. So we decided to set it permanently at 25fps and keep this speed in 100% of the cases.

To come back to the asic, it allows things that a classic Amstrad doesn't allow, like hard scrolling at pixel/line, PRI interrupts, hardware "rupture", 16 hard sprites with their palette of 15 inks unbundled from the mode as well as a range of 4096 colors, and 3 DMA to drive the sound chip. This is good, of course very usefull. It helps with some things, but that's all.

The hard scrolling of the CPC classic, apart from the fact that it is done at word (without tricks), is as fast as what the asic offers. All the software handling of a hardware scrolling is still done by a Z80 at the same speed as a CPC. Also, the hard sprites have a non-indexed by a pointer buffer that has to be filled in software. This is certainly more efficient than a soft sprite, but it is not CPU free. Also I'd like to point out that the game has a lot of soft sprites in addition to the 16 hard sprites animated on the screen, a multidirectional horizontal and vertical scrolling as well as music and sound effects.

You have to understand that a game invented for a machine will be made of sequences that do not exceed the capabilities of this machine.
When you reproduce a game made for another hardware, on an Amstrad PLUS, you will find a lot of situations that will not be easy to manage correctly.
This is the case in many situations with Ghosts'n Goblins, like many adaptations.
Of course an Amstrad CPC can't do this in the same way, that's for sure. But I think that permanent 25hz, considering the gameplay of the original, what we did with it and what an Amstrad PLUS can offer, is a good result.
« Last Edit: 15:56, 25 November 21 by Golem13 »
Members reacted like:
HAL 6128,pelrun,trocoloco,roudoudou,Hwikaa,ervin,JayBlood,Skunkfish,
tronic,ComSoft6128,XeNoMoRPH,Maniac,Urusergi,Prodatron,luckpro,andycadley,
manossg,eto,BSC,TotO,Sykobee (Briggsy),GUNHED,amijim,OneVision,

Offline JayBlood

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: 16:51, 25 November 21 »
Yes, if there are fans, it is likely that we will make a physical collector's version. In any case, technically we have the possibility.
Great! :) :)
Members reacted like:
Golem13,
Jay

Offline BSC

• 464 Plus
  • CPC 464 aspirant
    • bsc.cpcscene.net
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: 13:53, 04 December 21 »
All the software handling of a hardware scrolling is still done by a Z80 at the same speed as a CPC. Also, the hard sprites have a non-indexed by a pointer buffer that has to be filled in software. This is certainly more efficient than a soft sprite, but it is not CPU free.

Thanks for your elaborate response, especially the quoted part was not obvious to me (even though it should have), as I said: it looks awesome and I was just wondering. Looking forward to the final release. Keep it up!

Offline amijim

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: 23:43, 12 December 21 »
We have all enjoyed the one level promo demo and wait for the final release but please consider about a Ghouls and ghosts remake.Have you even consider of a sequel for our belove plus.thank you for your effort and your communication.
Members reacted like:
VincentGR,

Offline lmimmfn

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: 23:55, 12 December 21 »
We have all enjoyed the one level promo demo and wait for the final release but please consider about a Ghouls and ghosts remake.Have you even consider of a sequel for our belove plus.thank you for your effort and your communication.
Honestly, let the man finish his current project
Members reacted like:
eto,
6128 for the win!!!

Offline Golem13

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: 10:50, 13 December 21 »

Ahaha, I can think about it, "├ža ne mange pas de pain" as they say in French :) which means that it doesn't cost much to just think about it. Yes let's finish this one first. The second one is a bit more technically challenging, and would require bigger compromises.
Members reacted like:
ComSoft6128,Hwikaa,

Offline Golem13

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: 10:55, 13 December 21 »

Here are the three images I made public on 10 December from mid level 2, with the following caption, again recalling a part of our youth : As you lead an expedition to free your beloved, the icy winter calm of the polar regions you have just traversed is disturbed by a terrifying phenomenon. Where does this deluge of growling come from? Who commands these supernatural forces? How can they be stopped? The one who must answer these questions is YOU.

Captured with an IPhone on a CRT
May be a cartoon

Captured on an emu
May be a cartoon

Captured on another emu with Roudoudou's personal filter
May be a cartoon
Members reacted like:
Gryzor,eto,ComSoft6128,Hwikaa,Maniac,Sid_,Captain Past,GUNHED,

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: 11:13, 13 December 21 »
Looks beautiful on that CRT!
Members reacted like:
Hwikaa,

Offline amijim

• CPC664
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: 13:27, 13 December 21 »
OMG , i feel i am a virgin again !
No reactions

Offline zeropolis79

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: 16:41, 13 December 21 »
Looking very nice!

In theory, could the game engine be used to remake Ghouls N Ghosts?
No reactions

Offline ralferoo

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: 17:55, 13 December 21 »
Wow, this looks amazing!

Just wondering though if this is technically possible on a 464+ rather than requiring a 6128+ (presumably anything that's stored in the extra 64KB of RAM could be stored instead on the cartridge) or does it really need all the RAM?  I can certainly imagine it might be convenient to double buffer the screen and use 32KB for each, but if you're making heavy use of the sprites, I'm not sure if you would bother double buffering as well.

That said, I'm probably missing a subtlety of plus programming (I guess cartridge is only mappable to top and bottom 16KB banks?) as I've never tried coding for anything other that the base 464 as it's what I had as a kid, so it's what I'm most fond of.
No reactions