News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Ghosts'n Goblins for Amstrad PLUS 128K [PREVIEW]

Started by Golem13, 21:21, 09 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBlood

Jay

tjohnson

Quote from: TotO on 17:22, 11 April 20
You can't compare one guy programming on its free time and a team payed to do that all the year.
I wasn't hence my point, from what I understand most commercial games were knocked out on about a 12 week schedule with a small number of people, coder, graphics and music and probably the love and dedication that this development shows just wouldn't happen on a commercial release where a balance of quality and time is very important.

roudoudou

Quote from: TotO on 17:22, 11 April 20
You can't compare one guy programming on its free time and a team payed to do that all the year.
In addition to that, Golem programmed the Plus from scratch after a looooooooooong break
I know he doesn't like when people are talking about what will be after this but...
...i bet his next project (if any) will benefit reusable portions of code and experience learned with GnG+

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Golem13

Quote from: roudoudou on 20:34, 11 April 20
In addition to that, Golem programmed the Plus from scratch after a looooooooooong break
I know he doesn't like when people are talking about what will be after this but...
...i bet his next project (if any) will benefit reusable portions of code and experience learned with GnG+

Indeed, there is now a lot of technical material. But it still depends a little on the type of game.
And it's not that I don't like it :-) it's that I don't know, I didn't project myself so far.

iXien

Quote from: tjohnson on 18:59, 11 April 20
I wasn't hence my point, from what I understand most commercial games were knocked out on about a 12 week schedule with a small number of people, coder, graphics and music and probably the love and dedication that this development shows just wouldn't happen on a commercial release where a balance of quality and time is very important.

You're right and we are all ok to say that it explains why a lot of arcade conversions on home computers were failure. Publishers as U.S.Gold or Activision gave only 1 or 2 months to isolated creators to make the job done. We have no time limit, it's just for fun and all is made on spare time, so if it needs 2 years more depending on the time we can devote to it, we will take this extra time. But I think that if all those conversions were developped in 6 or 7 months intensively by guys together in the same workspace, things should be so much different.

Nowadays, it's fun to offer the conversions we expected back at the time. That's all the interest  8)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Golem13

That's right. We are not superhumans or better than those who came before us. Quite the contrary. But we're not ashamed to use what's available to us, powerful machines and lots of time, to produce what we dreamed of when we watched the game screenshots of 16-bit machines on our favourite magazines.

The reason I chose the 6128 PLUS is also to do the complete opposite of what was imposed by commercial rules that required making a game that works on all the machines in the range. Here we are using all the capabilities of the biggest stock machine in the range so that we have no regrets in the future. We won't have to ask ourselves what we could have done if we had used this or that which was available but never used? I know the machine is not very widespread, but we are lucky enough to be able to use very good emulators to enjoy it anyway.

Finally, this project is a way of coming full circle with our (my?) childhood, with this game that is so dear to my heart for what it meant to me.

Makaimura

It's not just a matter of time, today, thanks to the internet, we have a lot of information, access to the game's roms, more in-depth knowledge of the systems, and having the original game available to study it in every part, helps a lot the creative process.
Having said that, I am 47 years old, G'nG has always been one of my favorite games and I have played it on any platform and in any of its incarnations. So your version shouldn't have any effect on me.
And instead I found myself playing the demo with a stupid smile on my face, like when I was a kid in a arcade room and I saw and played what, I knew, I could never have found at home with the systems of the time.
Your work is impressive, incredible. The details, the graphics, the animations... Also the Princess looking up when the demon appear!
Thanks for taking me back many years.
I can't wait to play the full version.

P.s. The only details missing are the animated water and the grass in foreground that cover the Arthur feet in the first half of the level.

Golem13

Quote from: Makaimura on 12:44, 17 April 20
It's not just a matter of time, today, thanks to the internet, we have a lot of information, access to the game's roms, more in-depth knowledge of the systems, and having the original game available to study it in every part, helps a lot the creative process.
Having said that, I am 47 years old, G'nG has always been one of my favorite games and I have played it on any platform and in any of its incarnations. So your version shouldn't have any effect on me.
And instead I found myself playing the demo with a stupid smile on my face, like when I was a kid in a arcade room and I saw and played what, I knew, I could never have found at home with the systems of the time.
Your work is impressive, incredible. The details, the graphics, the animations... Also the Princess looking up when the demon appear!
Thanks for taking me back many years.
I can't wait to play the full version.

P.s. The only details missing are the animated water and the grass in foreground that cover the Arthur feet in the first half of the level.

Your comment was a real breath of fresh air for me today.
Otherwise, the two flaws you point out are perfectly right, I know them and as you have pointed them out, maybe I will take up the challenge  ;D
Thank you very much for this good energy.

kawickboy

Do you think that a 64ko release should be possible ?

Makaimura

Quote from: Golem13 on 21:25, 17 April 20
Your comment was a real breath of fresh air for me today.
Otherwise, the two flaws you point out are perfectly right, I know them and as you have pointed them out, maybe I will take up the challenge  ;D
Thank you very much for this good energy.

;D  It was a real pleasure!

By the way, I only saw the system menu now... So many options, and... I can set the Japanese version ... Makaimura! You are a real, absolute genius ...

I want to say to you only another thing: If your version was released at the time, it would have been Amstrad' killer application.
Without thinking, I would have bought the system just to play this awesome conversion.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

retroman3

Quote from: Golem13 on 21:21, 09 April 20
Hey, everybody.

After 4 years of development of Ghosts 'n Goblins, you can finally enjoy our first public PREVIEW of the game. It offers only the first level but allows you to get an idea.

The game is a cartridge file, and runs on an Amstrad PLUS with at least 128K ram, or any emulator that can properly emulate the PLUS range like WinAPE or Sugarbox.

To access the game parameters, please press space or button 1 during cartridge boot.

Any feedback or questions can be made in this thread or on the gng128k[at]gmail.com mailbox.

Enjoy the game!

Golem13 / Winner / iXien
I have tested the game and its amazing . Congratulations for the game .I look forward  to play the other levels too.

Golem13

Quote from: Makaimura on 12:49, 19 April 20

;D  It was a real pleasure!

By the way, I only saw the system menu now... So many options, and... I can set the Japanese version ... Makaimura! You are a real, absolute genius ...

I want to say to you only another thing: If your version was released at the time, it would have been Amstrad' killer application.
Without thinking, I would have bought the system just to play this awesome conversion.

I just wanted to let you know that both of your requests have been fulfilled, and will be in the final version. It's been a pleasure, I'm happy as a child myself :-)

If I can contact you personally, I can show you what it looks like, in exclusivity... Send me a private message if you are interested.

Golem13

Quote from: kawickboy on 11:20, 18 April 20
Do you think that a 64ko release should be possible ?

Honestly, no, it seems really complicated. I'm really sorry.

Makaimura

Quote from: Golem13 on 23:13, 24 April 20
I just wanted to let you know that both of your requests have been fulfilled, and will be in the final version. It's been a pleasure, I'm happy as a child myself :-)

If I can contact you personally, I can show you what it looks like, in exclusivity... Send me a private message if you are interested.
Sincerely... I have no word... I send a pv immediatly!!!

AxelStone

Very impressive job! And for me it's quite curious that scene has been working in 2 versions in parallel, the one from GX4000 and this one for 6128+  :) . We only had the old CPC version and now we have 2 incredible ports!!

Makaimura

Hi Golem13, your silence is deafening!!!Please, share some news...  ;D

retroman3

Do we have Golem13  any news for the game Ghosts'n Goblins for Amstrad PLUS 128K ?

amijim

There is no need to say it once more but Golem you deserve one week vacation on May or June or Sept in my hotel in Greece Preveza after you finish your game as a kind gesture for your effort for the amstrad community.PM me for the details.

Golem13

Quote from: Makaimura on 09:37, 17 June 20
Hi Golem13, your silence is deafening!!!Please, share some news...  ;D

Very sorry for the rather long response time. The developments are continuing, and I think I'm at 90% on the code. I'll be sending some eye food soon.

Golem13

Quote from: retroman3 on 18:33, 16 July 20
Do we have Golem13  any news for the game Ghosts'n Goblins for Amstrad PLUS 128K ?

Thank you very much for your interest in the project.

As I said above, developments are continuing and I think I'm at 90%.
For your information, a lot of things have already changed and are changing since the public preview version simply because a new person that I like very much, very motivated and very talented has joined the team.
It takes time, but we're not sleeping at all. And let's not forget that we do it on our free time, just for the fun of Amstrad and Ghosts'n Goblins that we both love.
I'll say more about it soon.

tjohnson

I just played the preview for the first time, very good, hard as nails!

Golem13

Quote from: tjohnson on 01:40, 04 November 20
I just played the preview for the first time, very good, hard as nails!

And then it won't spoil anything as ongoing adjustments will change what has been shown, to deliver a new game experience in the final delivery, both visually and in the behaviour of the entities.
Otherwise, although it's not yet well balanced in the preview (it's an overview and requires a lot of work and testing from different players), you can choose a difficulty level in the service menu (press space at boot time) so you don't get too angry :-)

tjohnson

Hard as nails but really liked it, looks and plays very very well. Top work

TotO

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:05, 06 November 20
Hard as nails but really liked it, looks and plays very very well. Top work
When I have worked for a video games company at the end of the 90's, I remember what the game designer said and it was something like: "when you are working on the same game since 2 years, you no more have the objectivity on its difficulty ". And "It is important to have a beta tester giving feedbacks about the game difficulty to do the balancing, else your game can looks great, the players will not have fun with"
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)