News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Ghosts'n Goblins GX4000 final alpha version !

Started by Xifos, 12:52, 28 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Played it tonight.... Wow this is awesome. Here's some video of my crap playing level 1

https://youtu.be/Oh5i7gmPfho

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:26, 29 April 18
Played it tonight.... Wow this is awesome. Here's some video of my crap playing level 1

https://youtu.be/Oh5i7gmPfho

Yep! That's pretty bad, don't forget to pickup items. Practice makes perfect [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:29, 29 April 18
Yep! That's pretty bad, don't forget to pickup items. Practice makes perfect [emoji108]

Hahaha. I know. But the important thing is to have fun. And I am loving this.

@Xifos this is amazing thank you so, so much.

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:33, 29 April 18
Hahaha. I know. But the important thing is to have fun. And I am loving this.

I really sucked at the arcade original until I watched someone play it, really opened my eyes to what is possible. Things I didn't even realise you could do... that's when the real fun starts [emoji1303]

Xyphoe

Hi Xifos, great work!!!!!!! I love it!

Can't wait to do a feature on it on my YouTube channel.

However I've encountered quite a bug! Beat the game, and you don't get the ending! :O

So yes I beat the boss the 1st time, and as expected it sent me back to level 1 to go through it all again. I defeated him again with the Shield weapon, but still gives me the "This room is an illusion..." and sends me back to level 1 again!  ??? ??? ???
You can see in the screenshot my score to show I've gone round twice already.

Quote from: Xifos on 12:52, 28 April 18
Hello,

The time has come to my version of ghosts'n goblins on gx4000 to be released !

Thanks to the people who helped me !

The game is not perfect, but playable, and i hope people with c4cpc will play it on real hardware !
:)

EDIT : i discovered a bug that only happens when you don't beat astaroth (the final boss) at the first time !
So i changed the cpr file to the patched one.
Sorry guys !
:P

Targhan

This looks awesome! Finally, a great game for GX4000!

I just have one negative remark, I hope you won't take it too hard... The music isn't great. Do you need some help about it?
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

kawickboy

Congratulations, a really nice job.

CraigsBar

Any chance the music can be released separately I love the tunes!

Great game. Great conversion.
Thanks.

Ast

Quote from: Xifos on 12:52, 28 April 18
Hello,

The time has come to my version of ghosts'n goblins on gx4000 to be released !

Thanks to the people who helped me !

The game is not perfect, but playable, and i hope people with c4cpc will play it on real hardware !

EDIT : i discovered a bug that only happens when you don't beat astaroth (the final boss) at the first time !
So i changed the cpr file to the patched one.
Sorry guys !
:P

What can i add ? Well done Seb  ;D

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Xifos

Quote from: Targhan on 08:42, 30 April 18
This looks awesome! Finally, a great game for GX4000!

I just have one negative remark, I hope you won't take it too hard... The music isn't great. Do you need some help about it?

You are right.
I barely adapt the music from the nes version, using arkos tracker, but i'm not musician.
;)

Xifos

Quote from: Xyphoe on 07:24, 30 April 18
Hi Xifos, great work!!!!!!! I love it!

Can't wait to do a feature on it on my YouTube channel.

However I've encountered quite a bug! Beat the game, and you don't get the ending! :O

So yes I beat the boss the 1st time, and as expected it sent me back to level 1 to go through it all again. I defeated him again with the Shield weapon, but still gives me the "This room is an illusion..." and sends me back to level 1 again!  ??? ??? ???
You can see in the screenshot my score to show I've gone round twice already.

Well hum, that's not a bug.
There is not the good ending for purpose !
You can see it at a joke, a wink...
(un clin d'oeil je veux dire en français)
(i hope my sense of humor will not be a problem here)

Congratulations for beating it twice anyway !

Targhan

QuoteI barely adapt the music from the nes version, using arkos tracker, but i'm not musician.

If you want me to convert the songs, please PM me. Since this is convertion only, this should be very quick. But it's up to you of course, I don't want to intrude in your project!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

tjohnson

Quote from: Targhan on 16:59, 30 April 18

If you want me to convert the songs, please PM me. Since this is convertion only, this should be very quick. But it's up to you of course, I don't want to intrude in your project!
Do it!   I too thought the music had room for improvement, frankly this conversion is astoundingly good all the same.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

andycadley

I can't get more than a few screens in. So, arcade perfect as far as I am concerned!  :laugh:

Seriously though, this is a fantastic conversion and it seems incredibly faithful to me. The GX needs more of this quality. Really, really well done.

tjohnson

Quote from: Xifos on 16:54, 30 April 18

I think the map has a small bug as the pin appeared on the 2nd section even though I was still on the first section.  It is too hard, is that a bug?

Xifos

I don't see what do you call the pin ?
(sorry for my poor english)
Are you talking about the position of arthur on the levels map at start ?

tjohnson

Quote from: Xifos on 21:43, 30 April 18
I don't see what do you call the pin ?
(sorry for my poor english)
Are you talking about the position of arthur on the levels map at start ?
Yes

Xyphoe

Quote from: Xifos on 16:54, 30 April 18

Oh wow, really?

Oh.
That's a shame.

Games that don't have an ending kinda trigger me a bit.  :'(

Can it not be added?
Have you ran out of memory?

It's not much, just Arthur hugging the Princess on the same screen as the boss fight, and some text overlayed - see attached from the arcade version.
Surely must be fairly trivial to add along with a counter to check that you've beaten the game once?

I really really appreciate your hard work on this, honestly, but no ending kinda really bums me out :(

Thanks

ukmarkh

I must admit, hearing that there's no ending has really put me off trying to complete it now, I'm so close, but hearing that news makes we want to play the arcade version instead. I guess 64k is the problem, must have run out of memory.

I tried to complete Dark Fusion this evening, finally did it, only to find out it just eff'ing loops! That really miffed me off [emoji35] it is a shame that lots of Amstrad games have no ending, P47 did this to me as well...

Xyphoe

Quote from: ukmarkh on 01:19, 01 May 18
I guess 64k is the problem, must have run out of memory.

I'm not so sure now -

"The cartridges can be fitted with different EPROMs in range of 32kb through 512kb, but only 128kb to 256kb versions are known to have been produced."
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/GX4000_cartridge

So technically I'm guessing the .cpr file could hold up to 256k of data - the problem with the GX4000 was that it only had 64kb of RAM, so a lot of data had to be swapped in and out for high class games.

andycadley

A .cpr can have up to 512K of ROM in it (no real cartridge was ever that big, but the facility was there). The Z80 can access that ROM data directly, it doesn't need to copy it from the cartridge into RAM (like the C64 does), so 64K is actually a very generous amount of RAM and probably more than should be needed under normal circumstances.

tjohnson

It looks like it would need a 256kb rom but judging by the size of the cpr hasn't used the entire 256kb.

Xyphoe

Quote from: andycadley on 05:46, 01 May 18
A .cpr can have up to 512K of ROM in it (no real cartridge was ever that big, but the facility was there). The Z80 can access that ROM data directly, it doesn't need to copy it from the cartridge into RAM (like the C64 does), so 64K is actually a very generous amount of RAM and probably more than should be needed under normal circumstances.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! I've been under that misunderstanding then since I read years ago one of the Ocean guys moaning that it had to be all dealt with in the 64k RAM on the GX4000. He must have been confused with the Commodore 64 Games Systems, I guess probably an easy mistake after so many years.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Xyphoe on 03:40, 01 May 18
I'm not so sure now -

"The cartridges can be fitted with different EPROMs in range of 32kb through 512kb, but only 128kb to 256kb versions are known to have been produced."
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/GX4000_cartridge

So technically I'm guessing the .cpr file could hold up to 256k of data - the problem with the GX4000 was that it only had 64kb of RAM, so a lot of data had to be swapped in and out for high class games.

I think the plus hardware can read up to 32 cartridge slots (16k), each slot has 16k banks, so I imagine a .cpr file can go up to 4mb?