News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ghouls'n goblins gx4000

Started by ukmarkh, 04:01, 24 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Ghosts 'n Goblins in development as Ghouls 'n Goblins for the GX4000!!!

Please delete if old news!

[/url]

Shaun M. Neary

It's promising, but I'd like to see more than three levels.
Also, the lack of restart points would bug me, like when he lost his first life, it brought him all the way to the start despite beating the mid level demon.

That used to drive me nuts!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Puresox

Early days I expect ,hope it gets polished up and has music . Sorry to be down on it , I would imagine this is a shade of what it is going to be ... I hope
The level is very different from the original? Pretty good Scrolling and the graphics look pretty close. I would say the colours need tweaking a bit.

||C|-|E||

It already looks and play ten times better than our present conversion  :D . This one could be a great great port if the authors decide to add all the levels and polish a few details.

ukmarkh

It's gonna be amazing! I can already tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigsBar

A title that is so very worthy of a gx4000 release. Put if it gets complete d properly and released on a physical cart, i'm buying one ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:38, 24 February 16
A title that is so very worthy of a gx4000 release. Put if it gets complete d properly and released on a physical cart, i'm buying one ;)

I hope it gets a full release on Cart, but with realistic price for ownership!

seanb

Very nice so far.
I hope it gets seen through to completion.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Xifos

Hi everyone !

So you noticed.
:)

I'm the one behind this try to have a ghosts'n goblins on Gx4000/Cpc+ cartridge.
Problem is that i'm alone doing it, and no pro.
So it's taking a long time and it won't be perfect.
I have no intention of selling it, how could i, there are rights on ghosts'n goblins.

Currently i'm working on music, i barely did a conversion of the nes tune (i'm no musician neither graphist).
I can play it with arkos player and it seems to work, but it sounds not good ("what would you think if i sang out of tune"...).

The memory is one of the main problem.
Because of the asic page at $4000, i only have 16 kb of continious ram for the main code (written in c and asm, using sdcc).
And i'm bad at dealing with code located at other pages.

The most important is that i wanted to learn how to do a game on gx4000, and also see what can be done on it.
As long as i enjoy doing it, it's ok, but any pressure won't be good at all !
;)

One last thing : two persons already tried it on the real hardware and reported that it works !
(i only have winape)

seanb

Feel free to ask for advice on here.
I'm sure the talented programmers here would love to help.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Xifos on 13:39, 24 February 16
Hi everyone !

So you noticed.

I'm the one behind this try to have a ghosts'n goblins on Gx4000/Cpc+ cartridge.
Problem is that i'm alone doing it, and no pro.
So it's taking a long time and it won't be perfect.
I have no intention of selling it, how could i, there are rights on ghosts'n goblins.

Currently i'm working on music, i barely did a conversion of the nes tune (i'm no musician neither graphist).
I can play it with arkos player and it seems to work, but it sounds not good ("what would you think if i sang out of tune"...).

The memory is one of the main problem.
Because of the asic page at $4000, i only have 16 kb of continious ram for the main code (written in c and asm, using sdcc).
And i'm bad at dealing with code located at other pages.

The most important is that i wanted to learn how to do a game on gx4000, and also see what can be done on it.
As long as i enjoy doing it, it's ok, but any pressure won't be good at all !
;)

One last thing : two persons already tried it on the real hardware and reported that it works !
(i only have winape)

Awesome work, and welcome to CPCWiki. I'm sure people including myself will be more than willing to help. If you could make the demo available here, so we can all have a butchers, that would be really appreciated. You could charge for a cart, i.e. one off production run, where a lot of us would secretly buy it  :P

Xifos

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 04:40, 24 February 16
It's promising, but I'd like to see more than three levels.
Also, the lack of restart points would bug me, like when he lost his first life, it brought him all the way to the start despite beating the mid level demon.

That used to drive me nuts!

When i'm testing it (without invulnerability), my own game makes me angry !
But the original games is like that !
;)

Xifos

Maybe i could do a demo...
I will think about it...

ukmarkh

Quote from: Xifos on 13:50, 24 February 16
Maybe i could do a demo...
I will think about it...

Good lad! I personally would love to play it, but I have to say, even despite what you've said, you've done a terrific job thus far.

Xifos

Thanks !

Ok i quickly did a demo.
Only the first level.
Don't complain if your ears bleed because of the music !

||C|-|E||

Looking forward to try this tonight!!  :D

Trebmint

Thats really rather pretty. well done

Kris

I just gave it a try and a really good job has been done up to now; hope you will achieved this game one day ;)
Take your time, we are on CPC and everything comes late ;)

Neil79

Quote from: Xifos on 14:22, 24 February 16
Thanks !

Ok i quickly did a demo.
Only the first level.
Don't complain if your ears bleed because of the music !

Indie Retro News: Ghouls 'n Goblins - Ghosts 'n Goblins overhaul in development

QuoteUPDATE : As of today, an Alpha demo has been released for you to try, but be warned it's only a first level alpha! But from a quick play through, you can already tell this overhaul is going to be impressive when it's done. The graphics look far far better than the CPC version, the game play is spot on and that great original soundtrack plays throughout. Well worth a try via the Amstrad emulator WinAPE!

8)
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Token

Very nice work Xifos! I always wanted a remake on the Amstrad.
Also thank you for the preview, I'll try it tonight...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Xifos on 13:45, 24 February 16
When i'm testing it (without invulnerability), my own game makes me angry !
But the original games is like that !
;)

It's actually cool that you test it without a cheat. Wish more people could do that.
The original CPC conversion was heavily criticized for it's lack of restart points. Check the arcade version and compare. If the restart points can be altered to match it, it would be a lot nicer. There's nothing more frustrating than going back to the beginning of a level when you made it just past the halfway point.  :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

seanb

That said maybe an old fashioned cheat put into the game would also be nice

Xifos

Now i'm in indie retro news, the pressure is coming, aaargh !

@Shaun M. Neary : yes, i usually test the game on mame, on amiga and on nes emulators...

At this point, i have not taken the difficulty problem seriously...

Phantomz

@Xifos

Great work  :) Looking good.  8)

I think your demo looks really good, I hope you get in finished one day, like others have said, don't rush it.  ;)

I see you have made button 2 jump, this is a good idea, might as well use the 2nd button, I did find myself still trying to push up to jump though.  :doh:

This made me go back to the original game that I converted to cart, I've made it so both up and button 2 are jump, maybe you could do the same, just an idea.  ;D

I'll upload it on the converted game thread in a minute.