News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Looking for Laser Squad (Tape version)

Started by Devlin, 16:15, 03 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlin

I've been trying to find a copy of this, either physical or CDT/WAV for ages!
I love playing this game, and just wish that I could play it on my actual hardware (but no 6128/FDD for the easy route!)

If anyone knows where I can find it (preferably in english) I'd be most grateful!

on a side-note, if I ever do find a tape copy and no-one's done it yet, I will happily make WAVs for someone to convert to CDTs
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Devlin

near enough 4 years later i'm still looking for a copy of this!

:picard:

Somebody? Anybody?
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV

dodogildo

M'enfin!

Puresox

It's a great game , love it to bits and one of the few games I have played through to completion , left wanting more. The Amstrad version is as good as any of the versions out there. I think it was virtually the same game design and graphics on every computer including Amiga and Atari St. although they played faster.

dodogildo

Quote from: Puresox on 17:59, 10 February 16
It's a great game , love it to bits and one of the few games I have played through to completion , left wanting more. The Amstrad version is as good as any of the versions out there. I think it was virtually the same game design and graphics on every computer including Amiga and Atari St. although they played faster.

Absolutely! But this rare gem really shines when playing against another human being.
Used to have so much fun playing it with my friends. One of them had an Amiga but we enjoyed the CPC version better :)
M'enfin!

dragon

I play this game alot in my cpc 464 but i don't know why i lost the tape years ago.

I really love this game. I always buy the maximum armor level possible in the most dificult level.

As i not have money to buy weapons, I buy 1 granade for 1 men. Then i killed and enemy, and i stole her weapons :) :) :)

And the first level i but a rocktet. and destroy the house directly.

But i don't know why the cdt is not dumped, the dsk have direct acces disk so is nocart incompatible :P.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 19:31, 10 February 16
the dsk have direct acces disk so is nocart incompatible :P.

It's a shame something can't be done about this, I've come across it a few times.  :'(

Puresox

Quote from: dodogildo on 18:06, 10 February 16

Absolutely! But this rare gem really shines when playing against another human being.
Used to have so much fun playing it with my friends. One of them had an Amiga but we enjoyed the CPC version better :)
Yeah it sounds a great game 2 player , I look forward to the day we have an Emulator that allows 2Player across the net .

dodogildo

Quote from: Puresox on 21:34, 10 February 16
Yeah it sounds a great game 2 player , I look forward to the day we have an Emulator that allows 2Player across the net .

Heh hee, as this one is a turn-based game by nature, one must avoid the temptation to peek into the other's screen. Playing a fair game online is virtually impossible with Laser Squad even if there was an emulator which allows 2 Player across the net.  8)
M'enfin!

Puresox

Oh yes lol I see what you mean , doh :doh:

Devlin

Quote from: dodogildo on 17:47, 10 February 16

You're in luck, here: http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/Laser-Squad-7042

BTW, brillant game! CPC version is excellent!

Yep, that's the one. Hoping that copy is still there on Monday when I get paid.

I will do a service and get it dumped to CDT for the masses to enjoy :)

dragon

Quote from: Devlin on 18:25, 11 February 16

Yep, that's the one. Hoping that copy is still there on Monday when I get paid.

I will do a service and get it dumped to CDT for the masses to enjoy :)

Hi finish you dumped it?. i have it in my 464, but i lost the tape years ago :s?.

I want take  a look to the cassette subtutine.

dlfrsilver

Would be cool indeed to have it in tape release :)

Nich

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 18:26, 24 November 16
Would be cool indeed to have it in tape release :)

It took a while, but here is Laser Squad in CDT format! :D Thank you to Steve Jarrett, who lent me the cassette.

Interestingly, this cassette version has a MODE 0 loading screen, while most of the disc versions that I have seen don't have any loading screen at all - yet there is also another disc version on CPC-POWER which has a MODE 1 loading screen! ???

Does anyone know where the version with the MODE 1 screen originated? Is it an official version or a crack?

dragon

I think , But i really not sure if its correct  that the Game in disk not have loading screen, i think is add in the expansion disk.

Is released the expansion disk in tape?.

I don't remember if my spanish tape have the Mode o or Mode 1 wtf. Damm i Lost It.

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 14:40, 22 January 17
It took a while, but here is Laser Squad in CDT format!

Unfortunately, after some testing, and despite SAMP2CDT claiming that all the checksums passed OK (it uses a Spectrum-style loader), it seems that there are some bugs in this version. :( I found that the save game option corrupts the screen, and the game also crashes unpredictably while moving the cursor around the map.

I will need to test it on a real CPC to see if the same faults occur.

MiguelSky

Quote from: dodogildo on 23:42, 10 February 16

Heh hee, as this one is a turn-based game by nature, one must avoid the temptation to peek into the other's screen. Playing a fair game online is virtually impossible with Laser Squad even if there was an emulator which allows 2 Player across the net.  8)
I think I said in another thread before but CPCE emulator has an online game mode!!

dragon

Quote from: Nich on 19:10, 22 January 17
Unfortunately, after some testing, and despite SAMP2CDT claiming that all the checksums passed OK (it uses a Spectrum-style loader), it seems that there are some bugs in this version. :( I found that the save game option corrupts the screen, and the game also crashes unpredictably while moving the cursor around the map.

I will need to test it on a real CPC to see if the same faults occur.

I not try the cdt, But if you try It with a emulator the dsk freeze when you Play with joystick. And press three or more  Keys simultaneusly.

This is not a bug really. When you use a joystick with the cpc is imposible you can press more that two direction at the same time. Thats because he not control It in joystick Mode.

Internally when you select a direction, the program generate a memory adress to jump. Presing three or four buttons make It to jump to  a memory It not should jump. But this can only happend with a  emulator emulating joystick with pc keyboard.

I Play this game in the 464 hours and hours  when i was Child but i think i never use the save option in tape..

Nich

Quote from: dragon on 19:33, 22 January 17
I not try the cdt, But if you try It with a emulator the dsk freeze when you Play with joystick. And press three or more  Keys simultaneusly.

This is not a bug really. When you use a joystick with the cpc is imposible you can press more that two direction at the same time. Thats because he not control It in joystick Mode.

That explains the crashing, then. Thanks!

As for the corruption when saving the game, I have done some debugging and the bug seems to be due to the game enabling the BASIC ROM at address &5903 after the game has been saved:

ld bc,&7f85
out (c),c
ret

To fix the bug, poke address &5904 with value &8D, and the BASIC ROM will remain disabled. :)