News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ghouls'n goblins gx4000

Started by ukmarkh, 04:01, 24 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Promissing Xifos!
I have sent a PM to you.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Ast

@Xifos : you aldready know what i think about your game :-)
Well done man !

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

andycadley

Really nice work so far. Sure there are a few little things like the sprite colours occasionally being a bit too close to the background colours, but those a minor quibbles that can easily be sorted later. I can't say the lack of restart points hindered me though, I'm so crap at this game on every format I still haven't made it to one!

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses, nice to see the GX4000 getting some long deserved love.

||C|-|E||

I was playing it and I really liked the game! Restart points would be great, as well as some more animations, but the progress seems very good so far  :D

Sykobee (Briggsy)

It's looking good so far - nice scrolling too.

Are you planning to do all 5 levels like the recent C64 revisualisation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNfS5NUohtM (gameplay about 8 mins in)

This version already has the way better sprite and more detailed graphics, although some of backdrops in the C64 are bigger (e.g., trees). The C64 version benefits from a wider display, but the arcade game's screen size is just like the CPC because of the habit of having rotated monitors back in the day!

I see that this new version is higher though, the C64 version's 'cliff' is only 8 blocks high (and the knight is similarly stumpy), and yours is 10. The arcade version is 10 too, so that's great! http://forums.atari.io/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-7-0-48147500-1445455500.png

Any plans to put the scoreboard on top like the arcade, with the arcade font?

arnoldemu

@Xifos: You know I already like it, and I can see a lot of progress :)
Keep going, take as long as you need, and I'm happy to help if you need it.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ukmarkh

@Xifos you're famous on Facebook now as well, I think it's obvious to see that you've got nearly everyone excited about this project, we wish you all the best! GX4000 hero!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xifos

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 10:19, 25 February 16
Any plans to put the scoreboard on top like the arcade, with the arcade font?
Problem is hardware scrolling and split screen for the scoreboard.
On Gx and cpc we have no layer for this.

Xifos

Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:37, 25 February 16
@Xifos you're famous on Facebook now as well, I think it's obvious to see that you've got nearly everyone excited about this project, we wish you all the best! GX4000 hero!!!

Mmm, i think i read about other cartridge projects on this forum.
I hope there will be other homebrews on gx4000.

sigh

A truly incredible job you are doing there. It's looking great so far.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Xifos on 12:25, 25 February 16
Problem is hardware scrolling and split screen for the scoreboard.
On Gx and cpc we have no layer for this.

Ah, yeah, I have no idea how the Plus's hardware scrolling affects traditional split screen methods on the CPC... Still, you can use the font if memory allows :D

TotO

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 15:48, 25 February 16Ah, yeah, I have no idea how the Plus's hardware scrolling affects traditional split screen methods on the CPC... Still, you can use the font if memory allows :D
Looking existing PLUS games, it should be not a problem.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Xifos

If i had enough hardware sprites, i could use two of them for the hud.
But i do not have enough hardware sprites...
:(

So it's split screen mode 1 for the score board, with CRTC R9 at 1 to save memory.
For the font, it should be ok but i'm getting lazy...
:P

Sykobee (Briggsy)

How are you dealing with the slow sprite 'data upload' stuff, which I recall is a pain in the arse... I guess the main character is two sprites?

TotO

Quote from: Xifos on 16:20, 25 February 16For the font, it should be ok but i'm getting lazy... :P
It is not a programmer job...  :-\
By the way, I already have this font into my magic pocket.

Xifos

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 16:24, 25 February 16
How are you dealing with the slow sprite 'data upload' stuff, which I recall is a pain in the arse... I guess the main character is two sprites?
Sprites are not updated at the same frame.
On frame 1, 4 sprites updated, on next frame 4 others sprites and so on...
Yes Arthur is two sprites, as the zombies.
The first boss is composed of 6 sprites !

dthrone

Quote from: Xifos on 17:32, 25 February 16

ooo, big boss, coooool  ;D

sigh

Quote from: Xifos on 17:32, 25 February 16

So the Arthur sprite is using 2 of the 16x16 sprites? So it is 16x32?

ivarf

Quote from: Xifos on 13:39, 24 February 16

The memory is one of the main problem.
Because of the asic page at $4000, i only have 16 kb of continious ram for the main code (written in c and asm, using sdcc).
And i'm bad at dealing with code located at other pages.
I am not a coder, but I am just wondering if this problem is because you are coding for RAM and that you are not putting your code in ROM? If  I am way off, please apologise my ignorance

Xifos

@sigh
Yes, 16x32 in mode 0 pixels

@ivarf
I have a lot of selfmodifying code, so i keep it in ram.
(even if i already have some routines in rom)
But it's true that i should use more the cartridge rom pages...
i'm not used to it yet.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 15:48, 25 February 16

Ah, yeah, I have no idea how the Plus's hardware scrolling affects traditional split screen methods on the CPC... Still, you can use the font if memory allows :D
In Plus games there is little reason to use traditional split. Always use the plus split :)

Hardware vertical scrolling doesn't work well when R9<7, but at other times it's fine.

@Xifos: Have you considered a split at the top (for scores) and another at the bottom for other information?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

sigh

Quote from: Xifos on 19:57, 25 February 16
@sigh
Yes, 16x32 in mode 0 pixels

Would it be less memory hogging if you used mode 1 single pixels instead for the sprites? Or is that not possible with the plus hardware sprites?

andycadley

Quote from: sigh on 20:58, 25 February 16
Would it be less memory hogging if you used mode 1 single pixels instead for the sprites? Or is that not possible with the plus hardware sprites?
The hardware sprites themselves use the same amount of memory regardless of their magnification settings (they don't really have Modes in the same sense the display does), although I'm assuming using 8*32 is to allows only half sprite images to actually be stored, since you know the other half will always be empty.

dragon

Quote from: Xifos on 14:22, 24 February 16
Thanks !

Ok i quickly did a demo.
Only the first level.
Don't complain if your ears bleed because of the music !
:)

I found the ocult easter egg in the  demo, go to left and go under the ground to go find the exit  to level 4.

And some times the player fly to the other side of the planet cross to the sky an then drop to the ground  or transform in a moster.

:)

In the other hand, fantastic work! im sure it be a great game to the plus range.

Xifos

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:19, 25 February 16
In Plus games there is little reason to use traditional split. Always use the plus split :)

Hardware vertical scrolling doesn't work well when R9<7, but at other times it's fine.

@Xifos: Have you considered a split at the top (for scores) and another at the bottom for other information?
I have considered the scoreboard at the top.
But it's more complicated, because of R9 at 1 and the pri.
I don't know if i can set a pri at line 0...