News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Great loading screen/Shite game

Started by ComSoft6128, 11:34, 07 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Unfortunately I can't think of a specific game at the moment but I distinctly remember a sense of disappointment with a few games back in the eighties when seeing a great loading screen for the first time and then actually getting a look at the game itself.

Can anyone jog my memory with a few examples?

Shaun M. Neary

Super Wonder Boy In Monsterland comes to mind. Was a massive fan of it in the arcade and played it to death until I finished it on the CPC

But dear lord, it's a horrible game. Slow, sluggish speccy port with a buggy tape loader that would often crash as it loads the second level. Disk version was fine.
Interesting fact: The Speccy version had a bug at the end of the game where the dragon couldn't be beaten. They (recently enough) fixed it by... wait for it... examing the CPC code!

But yeah... lovely loading screen... awful conversion.

Out Run probably falls into this category too. I was so excited waiting for the tape loading screen to finish. Look at those colours! Game loads... music plays.. .YESSS!
Press space and the screen shrinks by half the size and dear lord, what a disappointment.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

MaV

Airwolf II - after that loading screen you'd expect an equally graphical experience in the game, instead it's a typical Speccy port.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Brundij

Ghosts 'n Goblins from Elite, Renegade 3, Basun.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Brundij on 13:48, 07 January 22
Ghosts 'n Goblins from Elite, Renegade 3, Basun.

Harsh! That was not a bad conversion for it's time. It had it's obvious flaws (only 3 levels and no weapons) but it was by no means a shite game. AA gave it 86% and a Rave.

The other two I won't disagree with you on though!  ;)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Prodatron

Yes, I still love the CPC version of Ghost'n'Goblins (it was my first commercial game). E.g. I like it more than then C64 version.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Prodatron on 16:07, 07 January 22
Yes, I still love the CPC version of Ghost'n'Goblins (it was my first commercial game). E.g. I like it more than then C64 version.

I've a fondness for both. The C64 version was a lot more arcade accurate, but the Whittaker theme on the CPC version swings it for me.

Brundij

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:21, 07 January 22

I've a fondness for both. The C64 version was a lot more arcade accurate, but the Whittaker theme on the CPC version swings it for me.
It was a big dissapointment for me.  :P But yeah the music was cool.

mahlemiut

Quote from: MaV on 13:47, 07 January 22
Airwolf II - after that loading screen you'd expect an equally graphical experience in the game, instead it's a typical Speccy port.
Still a far better game than the first Airwolf.  ;D
- Barry Rodewald

MaV

Quote from: mahlemiut on 21:51, 07 January 22Still a far better game than the first Airwolf. 
Uff, poking at old wounds! I really wanted to like that game, and it took a long time that I could finally admit to myself that this is a big turd.

eto

Brundij

Quote from: eto on 16:05, 08 January 22
R-Type
Gauntlet 3
Out Run
See, I enjoyed R -Type. For being a rushed spectrum pot it's fine.

eto

Quote from: Brundij on 17:18, 08 January 22a sense of disappointment

I was referring to the part "a sense of disappointment" of the original message - yes, the game is not bad and I also enjoyed it, BUT it still was a huge disappointment compared to the expectations I had when I saw the loading screen.

Nich

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 11:34, 07 January 22
Unfortunately I can't think of a specific game at the moment but I distinctly remember a sense of disappointment with a few games back in the eighties when seeing a great loading screen for the first time and then actually getting a look at the game itself.

Can anyone jog my memory with a few examples?

Well, this prompted me to spend a good while browsing my collection of Amstrad CPC title screens. Here's my pretty extensive (but certainly not exhaustive) list (all the links will take you to the corresponding entry on CPC-POWER):

MaV

Quote from: Brundij on 17:18, 08 January 22For being a rushed spectrum pot it's fine.
I see what you did there! Yes, actually smoking pot while playing the original R-Type might have enhanced the experience. For one, you'd have seen more colours. :D

ComSoft6128

Quote from: Nich on 21:53, 08 January 22
Well, this prompted me to spend a good while browsing my collection of Amstrad CPC title screens. Here's my pretty extensive (but certainly not exhaustive) list (all the links will take you to the corresponding entry on CPC-POWER):

Far more than I expected!
Thanks for the links @Nich I've been checking them out - some cracking screens there!
Quite a few of which ended up in demos or slideshows.

Shaun M. Neary

I've a few more to add to this too.

Fire and Forget
Tom and Jerry 2
Slap Fight
Hollywood Or Bust
Offshore Warrior
Crystal Kingdom Dizzy (surprised this didn't get brought up yet as it's the dictionary definition of this topic!)
International Karate.

I can probably come up with more to be honest...