News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Green Beret : faster scrolling

Started by Jean-Marie, 14:55, 24 December 22

Previous topic - Next topic

iXien

Well done ! You just granted the GX4000 of an evolved version of Green Beret imo as clean as if Ocean itself wanted to publish the game on the console  8)

Are you ok if I spread the news on the topic dedicated to GX4000 converted game, with a full instructions file including infos about all the work you made to upgrade the game?
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Jean-Marie

Quote from: iXien on 07:07, 30 December 22Are you ok if I spread the news on the topic dedicated to GX4000 converted game, with a full instructions file including infos about all the work you made to upgrade the game?
No problem! I'm glad I could help GX4000 users.

andycadley

Quote from: iXien on 07:07, 30 December 22Well done ! You just granted the GX4000 of an evolved version of Green Beret imo as clean as if Ocean itself wanted to publish the game on the console  8)

Are you ok if I spread the news on the topic dedicated to GX4000 converted game, with a full instructions file including infos about all the work you made to upgrade the game?
Green Beret would actually be ideal for a GX game. It only needs two fire buttons, the characters probably all fit in a couple of hardware sprites each. Nothing particularly complicated about the background scrolling, could easily be silky smooth...

iXien

Quote from: andycadley on 15:37, 30 December 22
Quote from: iXien on 07:07, 30 December 22Well done ! You just granted the GX4000 of an evolved version of Green Beret imo as clean as if Ocean itself wanted to publish the game on the console  8)
Green Beret would actually be ideal for a GX game. It only needs two fire buttons, the characters probably all fit in a couple of hardware sprites each. Nothing particularly complicated about the background scrolling, could easily be silky smooth...
Lots of CPC titles would make great games to upgrade using the specific capabilities of the GX4000/PLUS range of computers ;)
But here we're just talking about this great CPC scrolling upgrade of Green Beret that @Jean-Marie kindly patched to work perfectly on GX4000, even modifying the texts to hide the CPC origins of the game.
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

andycadley

Quote from: iXien on 15:50, 30 December 22
Quote from: andycadley on 15:37, 30 December 22
Lots of CPC titles would make great games to upgrade using the specific capabilities of the GX4000/PLUS range of computers ;)
But here we're just talking about this great CPC scrolling upgrade of Green Beret that @Jean-Marie kindly patched to work perfectly on GX4000, even modifying the texts to hide the CPC origins of the game.

Indeed and it's great work. I'm just getting tempted...    :laugh:

ukmarkh

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 01:08, 30 December 22Success !  8)

I've put quite a few hours into this new Green Beret, only to find out that it keeps getting better. Eternally grateful for all your hard work. I appreciate people will still complain about the lack of scroll, but once you get into the swing of things, you somehow manage to put it to the back of your mind. If the sprites could be improved, that would be marvellous.   

Anthony Flack

This looks very nice. If we are talking about improvements, the biggest improvement the original needed IMO was to bump the enemies chasing you forward by a few extra pixels every second so that they gradually catch up to you like they are supposed to.

Anthony Flack

Hmm, even if you were to bump them forward by one step every time it hit the push scroll, it might be just enough to fix the gameplay problem without being unduly jerky and noticeable. Even as a kid it bothered me that you could just run away and they couldn't catch you. 

Apart from that and the slow scroll, it's always been a fun game with nice big sprites.

XeNoMoRPH

maybe I deviated from the original post, but recently they have released a new version of Green Beret for MSX2, with a fabulous scroll !!!

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Carnivius

Hm it's moving in small chunks like a lot of CPC games.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Anthony Flack

The Ruskies aren't using the ladders, though...

Gryzor

This isn't very smooth really, like @Carnivius said. But on the whole I love it.

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:37, 01 February 23This isn't very smooth really, like @Carnivius said. But on the whole I love it.

Yeah, I wasn't so much criticising it, but saying more like that looks very possible on CPC. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

zhulien

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:07, 26 December 22

I love the accent of the guy in the video, just like Scott Adkins - with the rising tone at the end of sentences...