News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recommend me some Amstrad only games

Started by Swainy, 20:18, 29 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ivarf

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:32, 02 June 16

Is that the sort of scrolling that's been used in Roland in Space?

Is there any scrolling on Roland in Space?

||C|-|E||

Not Amstrad only by any means, but La Abadia del Crimen was originally programmed in a CPC6128 and takes advantage of the 128KB if you have them :) Actually, Opera Soft was known because they liked to develop on Amstrad many of their titles, even when they are multi-platform. At a later stage I think they were programming everything in a PC and cross-compiling (let´s hope my memory is not failing). The graphics in their games are usually very nice, although in terms of playability some of them are frustrating and therefore I was never a big fan of them. Then we have Dinamic games, not multi-platform either but no direct ports at all. These are usually great and make very good use of Amstrad' s features. Just have a look at Rescue from Atlantis, Capitán Trueno, AMC, Navy Moves... Rescue from Atlantis in particular is a very complex and long adventure, one of the very best Amstrad games, imho  :) .

mr_lou

Quote from: Swainy on 20:18, 29 May 16
As you may or may not know, the Spectrum was the computer I had whilst growing up but I've owned an Amstrad 6128 for a couple of years now but I haven't really played much else other than arcade conversions (I love arcade games you see) so I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend some games that didn't make it over to the Speccy. Cheers!

Since you say you love arcade games, and ask for Amstrad only games, I'm gonna have to recommend you to check out "Don't Panic".
don't panic &copy firebird (1985)

This game is very nostalgic to me, because it belongs in the group of games I experienced very early in my Amstrad CPC era.
I love(d) arcade games very much too, and when I saw "Don't Panic" I just felt this game looked like an awesome arcade game.
But I couldn't figure out the game. Most people can't figure this game out. It's not intuitive at all.
I loaded it often anyway in an attempt to find this hidden great arcade gameplay that I was sure existed somewhere in this game, but it took a decade or so before I finally found it.  :)

Avoid the green monsters (both of them). That's tricky but you'll soon see the algorithm. The teddybears must be neutralized with your laser before you can touch them without dying. Then use your laser to move the teddybears to your spaceship.

I've been playing it for the past few days because I'm including it in my project "8-bit Stories", so I need a video of it.  :)
Today I do think it's a rather fun arcade game for the CPC. But it is very challenging.
Today it's one of those rare games that contains a lot of nostalgia but at the same time gives a new game-experience because I can finally figure out how to play it.  :)   That's an awesome combination.

Mark Jonhson

Swainy

Thanks guys. I've had a quick look at these on YouTube. I'll have to get downloading over the weekend :)
Retro Asylum

Puresox

Just wondered if you were ever into the Freescape games 'Castle Master 1+2,Driller' etc etc. I know these are available on the Spectrum but I think the Amstrad versions were the best out of the 8-bit offerings. The CPC version just has the Speed, which I would say is on par with the Speccy and it has the beautiful colour and shadings that make it look the part . The C64 version is pretty much unplayable, unbelievably slow. The only good thing about C64 version is the Soundtrack on Driller . which really helps the atmosphere.I would have loved to have had music in these games , but would rather had the increased pace ,of an already  very slow game.
Anyway you have plenty of games to check out ,out of that lot which everyone has dug up you may find a few which make the Amstrad shine, Who knows?
'Orion Prime' is probably an Amstrad only Classic. That is just stunning in it's genre , Graphical Adventure that you don't get on 8-Bits . If only we had a few more of these . It may hook a few Non-Amstrad owners.

AMSDOS

Quote from: ivarf on 11:32, 02 June 16
Is there any scrolling on Roland in Space?

The game appears to be Scrolling. I think it does something similar to Roland on the Ropes where your character sits in the middle of the screen with the scenery moving around. The "so-called" Scrolling in Roland in Space does it in chunks of 8x8 I think. I was hoping that @arnoldemu might of known, but then you can't know everything.  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

arnoldemu

Quote from: AMSDOS on 07:57, 03 June 16

The game appears to be Scrolling. I think it does something similar to Roland on the Ropes where your character sits in the middle of the screen with the scenery moving around. The "so-called" Scrolling in Roland in Space does it in chunks of 8x8 I think. I was hoping that @arnoldemu might of known, but then you can't know everything.  ;D
it's hard scrolling, 8 lines vertically, 1 char horizontally. Similar to roland on the ropes yes.

:)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ivarf

Quote from: AMSDOS on 07:57, 03 June 16

I had a quick look on YouTube. Conclusion, never trust your memory. According to memory it was flickscreen just like Roland in Time. Wrong...

AMSDOS

Quote from: ivarf on 13:00, 03 June 16
I had a quick look on YouTube. Conclusion, never trust your memory. According to memory it was flickscreen just like Roland in Time. Wrong...

Ideally I prefer playing Roland in Time because in Roland in Space, the little blighters come out of nowhere and get you.  :-[
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3