News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hexavirus

Started by Gryzor, 20:20, 05 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:20, 05 January 20
Have I missed a thread on this?

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=84451

I was wondering the same thing. The first I heard about it was an announcement on CPCRulez. It's a bit strange considering that @arnoldemu programmed it. ???

The graphics are really nice, but the gameplay quickly becomes repetitive and there's not enough of a challenge to keep me wanting to play it - but I think the 'v0' in the title is a strong hint that this is a preview or beta version, rather than the finished product.

Gryzor

@McKlain said, I think, he did the music back in '14 (?) so it's a bit strange... Haven't played it, but looks interesting.

But yeah, out of the blue, I think I saw it on a Google alert or something!

AMSDOS

There information about Hexavirus here as well.

According to the page it's been in development since 2011 and was only completed Dec 29th 2019.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ervin

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from @arnoldemu?
He hasn't logged in to cpcwiki since July 2019... I hope he is ok.

remax

Quote from: ervin on 13:00, 06 January 20
Speaking of which, has anyone heard from @arnoldemu?
He hasn't logged in to cpcwiki since July 2019... I hope he is ok.

If he update his website and release games on the 29th december, he should be ok.

Guess he left here for a bit for some reason (maybe to focus on other thing than chatting).
Brain Radioactivity

arnoldemu

Hello. I am fine thank you.
Hexavirus was started many years ago. The development stalled because I couldn't find a way to fill the grid in a way that made each move satisfing to play. Early attempts only meant one or two hexagons would be infected and playing was a chore. I improved this and it became more fun. I wanted to release it to show Macdeaths great in game graphics and to show mcklains great music in its intended setting. I labelled the game v0 because the gameplay wasn't as fun as I had hoped it would be. The game is effectively complete. I don't know if I will have the motivation or come up with any ways to improve it so there may never be another version. I also released it to clear it from my mind.

I will continue to be absent from the forum for a bit longer because I have other games waiting to be finished.
Best wishes and happy new year to everyone here on the forum.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Hey, thanks both for the game (I found it fun, but only played it for a short time. Music and gfx are great!) and for letting us know you're ok - I had actually received a few messages from concerned members over the past few months!

MacDeath

some graph skin I did around 2012-2013...

At the time Arnoldemu told me to not talk about it so I didn't talked a lot of it... was a pleasant surprise to see it reelased at last...

I opened some topics at french forums and Facebook groups.

CPCrulez :
https://cpcrulez.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6302

(where i explain in french some develpment things and post some draft work on the graphs)

I just came here because I was thinking about opening a topic here but someone was faster..
;)

yeah the filling algorythm surely was soem damn hard thing to come by.
I guess I could optimize the ink set as well to gain some clarity but it looks quite good on real screen.
The virus heads are not well adjusted to the ink set, please tell me if you need some palette fix I will check.
I suspect some palette swap with two inks for the heads that are changed but this needs some fixing a bit so the heads are matching the colour chosen a bit betterly.
Nice job though.

Playfield is quite huge and music is great, the "invasion" effect can be a bit slow sometimes  but is quite satisfying and set a pelasant game pace.

Nice the game features some screen adjustment tool and is based on colours, can be used to actually test a monitor.
;)

Also happy2020 to all of you...  :) love you all.

Gryzor

A wild MacDeath apears! :)

Thanks, man, and a happy 2020 to you too!

arnoldemu

For a bit of fun, I made a version of Hexavirus v0 that uses the Speedlock tape  loader (the version from 1985).You can download it from cpcrulez :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Does it load under Winape? For me after the first couple of blocked it started giving me some taps and clicks, then started producing the sound we all know and love at some "pure data" block (217?). Tape ended and I'm still looking at "LOADING: Please wait".

Got to admit though, it makes the whole 1986 experience even more immersive :D