News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Speccy ports... FIGHT!

Started by Gryzor, 17:51, 13 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Apologies, can't find the thread where this was born from, but if you can bear with Google translate it'll be worth your time reading this thread where a speccy fan is trying to convince people that Op. Wolf and Rainbow Islands are speccy ports :D :D :D

MacDeath

Quotecan't find the thread where this was born from
I am responsible... yep... just me, but of course my rough draft was bad and I got some help... ;D

Well, those games certainly have some codes in common, but I would say more something like crossdev or codev...

To get a "port", the so called port looks a bit more like a straight/almost straight emulation.

Perhaps it would be interesting to know more details about the developement and which version is anterior or not.

to port a Z80 code on another Z80 is not a port, it is proper coding...
the same actually for the sound... AY chiptune is AY chiptune.
But to port graphics  while both systems are completely different is perhaps the main detail to tell wether it is a port or not.
Because only there lies the main difference between both computers... (and quite a big difference)

If Graphics are properly coded in Amstrad (Mode0, with a lots of colours for both background and sprites)... We can't say it is

But, well, to be unfair...

Good game with good graphics in Amstrad way : not a port but co-dev.

Bad game or medium game spoiled by shitty 1bpp graphics and even trying to convert straight 1bpp graphics into 2bpp directly with the CPU : shitty speccy port/emulation...

Gryzor

Yeah, well, the guy obviously doesn't understand the term 'port'. Take a look at the last page of the (now locked!) thread, where he gives more side-by-side screenshot comparisons of games he considers to be ports. Fun!