News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Conversion to Cartridge format

Started by Kris, 19:26, 07 October 13

Previous topic - Next topic

andycadley

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:41, 09 October 13
Jet Set Willy 1  and Manic Miner1 and  3 as CPR...

Didn't work for me in WinAPE, I just got a black screen with yellow text and a ParaDOS prompt.

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:04, 09 October 13
The background colour gradient could be more subtle, IMO. And the magenta border... But good job on the sprites and porting.
I don't really like the gradient backgrounds, but they were asked for so made it into the engine. No idea where the magenta border comes from, possibly a debug feature that's in the dsk version.

Anyway, no promises but I'm looking into a "real" cart version, that would run on the GX and everything.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: andycadley on 19:32, 09 October 13
Didn't work for me in WinAPE, I just got a black screen with yellow text and a ParaDOS prompt.

Maybe thats the issue: Remove any ROMs (Incl. Parados rom)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

andycadley

Ah, yes that's fixed it. Hadn't even realised it was installed, it's an out-of-the-box WinAPE install. I guess cartridges really need to avoid using slots that might be taken up by external ROMs, worth noting for future!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 23:24, 09 October 13
Maybe thats the issue: Remove any ROMs (Incl. Parados rom)
no$cart activates rom 7 and calls into it. If it activated rom &87 it would probably avoid this problem.
In addition the other calls would need to be patched to ensure it goes here.

It would probably work a bit better without needing to remove expansion roms.
But then if somebody overrided basic this would also cause a problem.
So this method is not free from expansion rom problems.

My method uses &8x type access so should be ok.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Updated wiki to mention that all expansion roms should be removed before using a cart made with no$cart tool.
My games. My Games

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:00, 10 October 13
all expansion roms should be removed before using a cart made with no$cart tool.

I did wonder about this regarding the nocash tool but haven't had the chance to test it out, glad it's been spotted.

All the more reason to use your framework ;)

dcdrac

I wander if there is a way to convert cprs to HFE files

Kris

Same problem: a direct conversion won't work with all .CPR files.
In this case, it is certainly easier to dump the cartridge as file and patch a loader to launch the game (and in some cases modify the program to load additional stage...)

arnoldemu

Quote from: dcdrac on 17:48, 10 October 13
I wander if there is a way to convert cprs to HFE files
hfe are disks.

cartridges are not disks ;)

the cartridges would need to be hacked to work on disk which is not as easy as putting a disk game onto cart ;)
My games. My Games

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:54, 10 October 13
no$cart activates rom 7 and calls into it. If it activated rom &87 it would probably avoid this problem.

Well, software can assume that ROM 7 _IS_ Amsdos. Alternate DOS (like VDOS, X-DDOS, ROMDOS...) usually get installed at ROM position 6. That's just good practice, especially since ROM 7 _IS_ hardwired in the CPC.

ParaDOS handles that different, and it's ok usually, since it is pretty compatible. However of course it can't be 100%
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM on 16:32, 11 October 13

Well, software can assume that ROM 7 _IS_ Amsdos. Alternate DOS (like VDOS, X-DDOS, ROMDOS...) usually get installed at ROM position 6. That's just good practice, especially since ROM 7 _IS_ hardwired in the CPC.

ParaDOS handles that different, and it's ok usually, since it is pretty compatible. However of course it can't be 100%

The problem is that an expansion ROM will override the cartridge. So in this case the expansion ROM overrided the patched AMSDOS in the cart, the patched OS failed to call into the patched AMSDOS (calling into the Parados rom instead) and this is why it didn't start.

It's more a problem of how the no$cart roms are patched I think.
My games. My Games

TFM

Well, so either no expansion or no no$cart.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Kris

LAst trial: conversion of Rick dangerous 1, CPC+ adaptation by Brueggi/Noob Inc...
It works in Winape & real Plus machine.

amijim

Hello,
i would like to mention that this port of rick dangerous is not the enchanced version of the 128k+ version.Could anyone port the DSK image found on the wiki page to cpr image?I suppose there is a reason that it has not been already done but just today i ordered a c4cpc module and i am really eager to try it out!.thank you .
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/4/4f/Rick1_1.DSK
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Rick_Dangerous_128%2B