News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 00:30, 28 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

So I'm looking at these ROM files in a Hex Editor, because I'd like to just show the game-name when I call |HELP from the Utopia rom.
To learn where this is located, I view the The Defend of Die ROM because it shows the game name fine.
But the Hex Editor only shows "DEFEND OR DI."....  where's the last E?

Seems to be the case with all ROMs. The last character of the name isn't there. What gives?

tastefulmrship

Steve Ansell did an amazing conversion of MUTANT MONTY recently... so here's a CPC ROM version of |MUTANTMONTY.

mr_lou

So, here's an overview of ROMs so far and the name they display in the list.

"Astro" display "HOLA" ?? What? Why? Why doesn't it display "Astro"?
"Axiens" displays "CLASSIC AXIENS".  Yay!  :)
"BoulderDash" displays "DASH"  why not "Boulderdash"?
"Defend or Die" displays "DEFEND OR DIE" yay!  :)
"Roland goes Digging" displays "ROLAND"  why not "Roland goes Digging"? Not enough room?
"Donkey Kong" displays "OCEAN"...  why not "Donkey Kong"?
"Fruity Frank" displays "Fruity Frank". Yay!  :)
"Killer Gorilla" displays "KG"  why not the full name "Killer Gorilla"?
"Hunchback" for some reason displays "FECK"
"Classic Invaders" displays "QWERTY"..  ? Why?
"Mutant Monty" displays "SP"
"Manic Miner" displays "GIRLS"....
"Tempest" displays "THEE"
"Thrust" displays "ARSE"
and "Trashman" displays "DEAD".

These are the names I see in the ROM list in Arnold Emulator, so I'm assuming it's the same names that'll show up if using Utopia ROM |HELP command.
Why not display the actual game name in such a list? It sure would be a lot more helpful in my opinion.

EDIT: Yup, the same names show up with the Utopia |HELP command. This is not that great mates. It should really display the actual game name.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:11, 23 September 13

"Hunchback" for some reason displays "FECK"

"Manic Miner" displays "GIRLS"....

"Thrust" displays "ARSE"

No prizes for guessing what my NEXT conversion will say! ^_^

mr_lou

..... I sense a hidden message......... but can't quite put my finger on it.....

tastefulmrship

Ok, try |SPACEMANIA. See if the name for this one is any better.
I can always rebuild the other games to fit any naming convention, but it might take a day or two.

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:11, 23 September 13
"Axiens" displays "CLASSIC AXIENS".  Yay!  :)
"Defend or Die" displays "DEFEND OR DIE" yay!  :)
"Fruity Frank" displays "Fruity Frank". Yay!  :)

Haha! Well, at least you like my stuff  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 16:46, 23 September 13Ok, try |SPACEMANIA. See if the name for this one is any better.
I can always rebuild the other games to fit any naming convention, but it might take a day or two.

Yes. It says "Space Mania" which is perfect, because it's the title of the game.  :)

Quote from: TFM on 16:48, 23 September 13Haha! Well, at least you like my stuff  8)

Yes, because you put the title of the game. (I would prefer if it was written "Classic Axiens" instead of "CLASSIC AXIENS" though, but that's just me being picky).  ;)

robcfg

I guess the next secret word of Tastefulmrship could be something in the line of...

Spoiler: ShowHide
Drink!  ;D

tastefulmrship

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:00, 23 September 13
Yes. It says "Space Mania" which is perfect, because it's the title of the game.  :)
You really DO want your cake and you really DO want to eat it! Crikey!

Ok, here's 50% redone for you...

|ASTRO, |BOULDER, |HUNCHBACK, |MANICMINER, |DIGGING, |TEMPEST

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:28, 23 September 13
So I'm looking at these ROM files in a Hex Editor, because I'd like to just show the game-name when I call |HELP from the Utopia rom.
To learn where this is located, I view the The Defend of Die ROM because it shows the game name fine.
But the Hex Editor only shows "DEFEND OR DI."....  where's the last E?

Seems to be the case with all ROMs. The last character of the name isn't there. What gives?
The last character of the name has bit 7 set to 1 (ascii value + 128). This indicates it is the last character of the string.

Some other languages have an additional character to indicate the end. C uses NUL (0) for the end. CP/M often uses "$" as the end.

The "name" of the ROM which is seen in UTOPIA and Arnold emulator is always the first string.

The others are the commands available.

The v1.1 part is taken from the header, it's the second and third byte I think with a "v" before it.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:00, 23 September 13
(I would prefer if it was written "Classic Axiens" instead of "CLASSIC AXIENS" though, but that's just me being picky).  ;)

You can easily change that by usage of an HEX editor, use ROManager to tell you the new checksum (use HEX Editor again to put checksum in ROM file).

TFM of FutureSoft

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM on 18:12, 23 September 13You can easily change that by usage of an HEX editor, use ROManager to tell you the new checksum (use HEX Editor again to put checksum in ROM file).

Yes, I might try that.  :)

tastefulmrship

And here's the other 50% redone for you...

If anyone has ANY problems with these, then tough! I ain't doing no more of this ROM shyte... no fecking way!

Gryzor

Oh man, what a great thread!!! I'm torn between the season premiere of Downton Abbey and firing up the machine!

mr_lou

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 18:46, 23 September 13
And here's the other 50% redone for you...

If anyone has ANY problems with these, then tough! I ain't doing no more of this ROM shyte... no fecking way!

Your sacrifice will be cherished and deeply appreciated for many years ahead. There might even be a statue of you at some point, in a virtual reality world.

Thanks!

Gryzor

I think he deserves one now.

Please do moar!

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:03, 23 September 13
Please do moar!
Hmmm.... ok, then. I'm torn between ATOM SMASHER, SULTAN'S MAZE or HOME RUNNER.
Choices, choices! ^_^

mr_lou

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 19:13, 23 September 13
Hmmm.... ok, then. I'm torn between ATOM SMASHER, SULTAN'S MAZE or HOME RUNNER.
Choices, choices! ^_^

If it was me, I'd just do all of them!
And then I'd convert Spindizzy and Radzone too!  :D

Gryzor

Oh, that's easy: Sultan, Home Runner, Atom Smasher.

Go! :D

PS Hm, maybe a new vid resource? Both are very fresh!

Atom Smasher Review for the Amstrad CPC by John Gage

Home Runner Review for the Amstrad CPC by John Gage

tastefulmrship

Seeing as we've done HUNCHBACK, how about Amsoft's very own |PUNCHY; the thinking man's HUNCHBACK!

Gryzor

mr_lou

More suggestions:

Don't Panic
Zorro
Wriggler (Romantic Robot)
Collapse
Super Sleuth
Nuclear Heist
Street Machine
Atlantis
Star firebird
Gauntlet
5th Axis
Bruce Lee <-- that's almost a must. How did we miss that so far?
Frostbyte
Gilligans Gold
Kungfu Master
Light Force
Tapper

...but I could go on...... (and I probably will!)  :)

Gryzor

So is the goal to convert all 16/32KB games? :D