News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 00:30, 28 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilmarkus

Quote from: SyX on 13:40, 02 June 14
No readme?  :P

And the Bomb Jack readme, just in case ;D

Well, as I didn't follow the megaflash-thread (or this thread) very often, I downloaded the rom files on the wiki page:

ROM List - CPCWiki

So it would be very handy to have a readme file included here, too ;) :P
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

There's a column for "ROM Positions" on the ROM List page. You should at least add these numbers there.

Bryce.

SyX

Added! :)

No excuses Markus, takes 1 minute search in the forum for who made that rom and asking him, and other thing no, but asking for you is nothing strange XDDD

Devilmarkus

Quote from: SyX on 14:45, 02 June 14
Added! :)

No excuses Markus, takes 1 minute search in the forum for who made that rom and asking him, and other thing no, but asking for you is nothing strange XDDD

Oh I searched for Head over Heels roms... Don't think, I didn't...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

ralferoo

Quote from: SyX on 14:45, 02 June 14
To be fair, I did the same thing. Ages ago (maybe a year ago), I just browsed the wiki page and downloaded all the ROMs that sounded interesting. I don't recall seeing a notice about requiring certain slots and when they didn't work where I put them (I think I used 4,5,6), I just assumed they didn't work moved on the next ROM and played that instead!

tastefulmrship

To be honest, I was about to rebuild the HEAD OVER HEELS ROMs with the generic builder... but if it works as is, then there's no point!
Have 4x |4K demos, instead!

SyX

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 10:20, 03 June 14
To be honest, I was about to rebuild the HEAD OVER HEELS ROMs with the generic builder... but if it works as is, then there's no point!
Have 4x |4K demos, instead!
But feel free to rebuild it, as you can read in the original post was a test during thefirst days of the megaflash, nowdays i would make very different.

For example, i would make something similar to WHDLOAD, having a game launcher rom and putting the games in roms that can not be initialized, then in this launcher rom is stored a list that is showed at start and you can choose with Cursors and Enter the game to launch. Then add a patch at each game for you can return to the launcher and as the launcher rom is practically empty, you can storage there the game hiscores in a similar way like a PSX memory card works :) And of course, define an standard for everyone can use it.

redbox

Quote from: SyX on 12:39, 03 June 14
For example, i would make something similar to WHDLOAD, having a game launcher rom and putting the games in roms that can not be initialized, then in this launcher rom is stored a list that is showed at start and you can choose with Cursors and Enter the game to launch. Then add a patch at each game for you can return to the launcher and as the launcher rom is practically empty, you can storage there the game hiscores in a similar way like a PSX memory card works :) And of course, define an standard for everyone can use it.

I remember thinking something along the lines of this... ah, so many ideas, so little time  ;)

SyX

Quote from: redbox on 13:13, 03 June 14
I remember thinking something along the lines of this... ah, so many ideas, so little time  ;)
Yes, we talked about that and the idea is so brilliant still :)

tastefulmrship

But feel free to rebuild it, as you can read in the original post was a test during the first days of the megaflash, nowdays i would make very different.
I can't compress it any further than 3 ROMs, anyway... so rebuilding would be pointless at this time. The only viable reason would be so it can be installed to any ROM slot, that's all.

Tai

That sounds great! But in the meantime I like to have four or five games in my ROMBoard and I'm missing badly Saboteur2.
So, I converted it myself (tested on WinAPE and real CPC 6128 with Megaflash).
You can put the ROM files in any slot but second ROM file (SABOTE2B.ROM) must be installed contiguous to first ROM (SABOTE2A.ROM).
Run it with: |saboteur2

CraigsBar

This thread gets better and better. More even more roms to keep my Symbiface the essential kit with my CPC's (Well until the X-Mem come along). Anyway... are requests being taken for rom conversions?  ;)  and if so what about Deflector? Yes i know this is a Speccy Port, and whilst I hate lazy programming this game is one I always found addictive and therefore hopefully it is possible that this great little game can come to a ROM (or 2 or 3).

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

tastefulmrship

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:53, 06 June 14
Anyway... are requests being taken for rom conversions?  ;)  and if so what about Deflector? Yes i know this is a Speccy Port, and whilst I hate lazy programming this game is one I always found addictive and therefore hopefully it is possible that this great little game can come to a ROM (or 2 or 3).

Due to total laziness on my part, here is a complete memory dump (ie; #0000-#BFFF) for |DEFLEKTOR, as requested.
It seems to work, so I'm not going to complain! ^_^

CraigsBar

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 20:18, 07 June 14
Due to total laziness on my part, here is a complete memory dump (ie; #0000-#BFFF) for |DEFLEKTOR, as requested.
It seems to work, so I'm not going to complain! ^_^

yep works here too, thank you very much... That is another game I do not have to disconnect all external roms to play. As the original tape (and DSK) both fail on real hardware if anything other than roms 0 and 7 are populated.... that's a MF2 check gone wrong surely.

Craig

Tai

Another game that I was missing in my ROMboard is Target Renegade.
It needed 3 ROMs and you can put the ROM files in any slot but they must be installed contiguously (TARGETA.ROM in slot n, TARGETB.ROM in slot n+1 and TARGETC.ROM in slot n+2).
Launch with: |target

jrodriguezv

Thanks for Target, I was waiting for it :-)

CraigsBar

Yikes I am having to gradually remove the serious stuff (Protext, Utopia etc0 and replace them with games.

I wonder how many I can get installed and working before I need another rom card LOL.

mr_lou

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:47, 09 June 14I wonder how many I can get installed and working before I need another rom card LOL.

I'm actually quite interested in hearing how many games people have managed to install without running into problems.

CraigsBar

I'll add them up and list them after dinner...

OK The SymbifaceII on my 6128 plus is currently working perfectly as follows

0 - Empty
1 - HXC Rom
2 - Symbos 2.0A
3 - Empty
4 - Empty
5 - Empty
6 - Superkid Rom 1
7 - ParaDOS 1.1
8 - Harvey Headbanger
9 - Head Over Heals Rom 1
10 - Bombjack
11 - Deflektor
12 - Mega Phoenix
13 - Spy vs Spy
14 - Superkid in Space
15 - Utopia
16 - Head Over Heals Rom 2
17 - Head Over Heals Rom 3
18 - +Expansion Roms+
19 - +Expansion Roms+
20 - +Expansion Roms+
21 - +Expansion Roms+
22 - +Expansion Roms+
23 - +Expansion Roms+
24 - +Expansion Roms+
25- Empty
26- Empty
27- Empty
28- Empty
29 - Symbos 2.0B
30 - Symbos 2.0C
31 - Symbos 2.0D

Sorry for that list of +expansion roms+  I cannot remember which order I put them in with. but they are the extra ROMS for Superkid, Mega phoenix etc...

I remember HOH because it is static in 9, 16 and 17 and Symbos is installed at then end.

Now to decide what those extra spaces should be LOL

tastefulmrship

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:31, 09 June 14
Now to decide what those extra spaces should be LOL
The CPC-Wiki Zynaps is a nice one to show C64ers or Speccyists... well, turn DOWN the volume for the "loader" and just enjoy the amazing overscan splash-screen... then turn UP the volume for Dave Roger's amazing title tune! 3 ROMs used for good!

The 4x 4k Demos ROM is quite nice... the new  loading screen for Mega Apocalypse (2 ROMs) or Ranarama (screen by Devilmarkus, 2 ROMs).
However, they're all winners, basically... you can't go wrong!

robcfg

Would it be possible to convert Freddy Hardest 2nd side or Topo Soft's Spirits to roms?

CraigsBar

OK,

By playing with roms....

I now have all 32 slots filled and no issues.

They all run, Utopia quite happily reports the RSX's for the first roms in slots 0 - 15

I have not experienced any issues with all these roms in a Symbiface II on a 6128 plus.

Regards

Craig

mr_lou

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:49, 09 June 14I now have all 32 slots filled and no issues.
They all run, Utopia quite happily reports the RSX's for the first roms in slots 0 - 15
I have not experienced any issues with all these roms in a Symbiface II on a 6128 plus.

That's impressive, and definitely not what I've experienced when installing ROMs to MegaFlash.

Hm, I better do my experiment soon.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: robcfg on 22:44, 09 June 14
Would it be possible to convert Freddy Hardest 2nd side or Topo Soft's Spirits to roms?

While getting ready for work, I had a few minutes spare... so, here's |SPIRITS on 2 ROMs.

robcfg