News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!

Started by FRAGKI-2012, 00:30, 28 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: gerald on 19:41, 20 August 14
Are you sure you uploaded the updated file ? The .bin is identical to the previous version (and cpr still loops on gx4000 :D )
No I'm not sure.

I will be having another go at this soon. Gerald, it would be great if you would test the new file when it's ready.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

gerald

Quote from: arnoldemu on 21:09, 25 August 14
No I'm not sure.

I will be having another go at this soon. Gerald, it would be great if you would test the new file when it's ready.
No problem, post it, I will test it :)

Nilquader

I've made a new version of the "Megaflash Quickstart"  gaming menu. We did a lot of testing at gamescom in Cologne and found a few bugs. This one has a few bugs fixed and increased compatibility:

- The Game in ROM No. 31 is now shown
- Somtimes after pressing reset, only some roms were listed. This issue is now solved.
- No need to press reset twice after playing a game.  If you want to leave the menu, press ESC twice.
- BASIC games converted to ROM are now working.
--
Nilquader of SPRING
http://www.nilquader.net/

tastefulmrship

PRESENTING the definitive Jet Set Willy 2 (The Final Frontier) on 3 ROMs.
Type |JSW2 to start the game.

Main Features & Cheats:
- Inbuilt teleport mode.
- Recoloured C64 loading screen.
- Start on any room in the 134 room map.
- Collect any number of items to complete the game.
- 1-255 lives.
- Infinite lives and exit on death (so you're not stuck in an infinite death loop.)
- Fall any height without dying.
- Immunity to death objects.
- Walk on death objects and water (so you don't fall through them!)
- Immunity to all the monsters.
- Turn the monsters off entirely (ie remove them entirely.)
- The Trip Switch is always ON (so you can visit the "Deserted Island" without having to travel around the map twice.)
- Play the "final room" once the main game is completed.

Patches & Fixes:
- CPC-6128 patch.
- CNGSoft's "Cartography Room" fix.

Nilquader

And here is a new version of the BB4CPC rom. As this is a 3-rom-game anyway, there was enough space left to include the title screen.
--
Nilquader of SPRING

tastefulmrship

Another little batch of games... from text to shooty!

Firstly, FANTASIA DIAMOND on 2 ROMs complete with a recoloured Speccy loading screen. |FD loads up this infuriatingly annoying text adventure game!

Secondly and thirdly, to finish the MAGIC KNIGHT series, we have KNIGHT TYME and STORMBRINGER... both, again, fit on 2 ROMs and have a retouched Speccy loading screen. |KTYME and |SBRINGER load up these graphical masterpieces.

As a slight departure from adventuring, we have |1942 on 2 ROMs.

And, to finish off, there's the smooth as silk scrolling wonderment of MISSION GENOCIDE on 2 ROMs with a recoloured loading screen. |ZTB runs the vertical scroll heaven!

tastefulmrship

Ok, this batch has been a good few weeks in the making! And for that, one of you knows who's to blame! ^_^
Anyway, here is a little batch of 3D games; from masterpieces to monsters to turkeys! All of them classics on CPC!

First up, 3D STARSTRIKE and 3D STARSTRIIKE 2 by Realtime Software. |3DSS loads up a pretty decent STAR WARS clone and |3DSS2 loads up an amazingly fast filled 3D masterpiece!

Next up, the amazing |STARION... a very fast wire-frame monster of a game!

And, here's the one game I just couldn't rip! There's a strange error in WinAPE where it just fails to load any TAPE game that uses BleepLoad protection. CPCE, JavaCPC and Caprice all load BleepLoad fine, but WinAPE just doesn't work! So, I've had to rebuild the .dsk rip from CPC-Power and now it's finally completed! |STARGLIDER on 3 ROMs... for my friend! ^_^

Finally; the biggest, bestest and most impressive 3D game on CPC! The behemoth that is |STARCOMMANDO. You are all welcome!

Nilquader

I've made some tests converting BASIC games to ROM. Here's the german game "Fussball Manager" - seems to be a type-in from a magazine. Compressed with exomizer - so it fits into one ROM. I'm not sure if this ROM is completely bug-free, so please leave me a message, if it doesn't run on your system.

--
Nilquader of SPRING

Bryce

Can you give Steve Davis Snooker a go? It's completely written in BASIC too as far as I can remember.

Bryce.

Nilquader

Quote from: Bryce on 20:42, 09 October 14
Can you give Steve Davis Snooker a go? It's completely written in BASIC too as far as I can remember.

I'll try that in the afternoon...

Edit: Done! This one was a litte bit more complicated than usual, because it's mixed BASIC/machine language. Start with |SNOOKER
--
Nilquader of SPRING

Nilquader

To the other ROM-experts: Any idea on how to uncompress screens directly from ROM (using exomizer or any other compressor)? I always have to uncompress them to another memory location and then move it to screen memory. (Exomizer probably needs to read from destination, whis can't be done while the ROM is enabled and at the same address as the screen - &C000)  My current code is like this:

; display screen
  ld hl, screen
  ld de, $4000
  call deexo ; decompress title screen

ld b, 66
  ld hl, inks
  call printn ; set inks

ld hl, $4000
  ld de, $c000
  ld bc, $4000
  ldir ; display title screen

I now work on a game that uses almost the complete memory while loading a screen. So I cannot use the memory area at &4000. Any ideas? Are there other crunchers which don't need to read the uncompressed binary?
--
Nilquader of SPRING

arnoldemu

You may be able to use a modified exomizer which uses one of the lower kernel functions to read the ram under the rom and restore the rom again.
One of the KL RAM functions will do it I think.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Nilquader

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:52, 23 October 14
You may be able to use a modified exomizer which uses one of the lower kernel functions to read the ram under the rom and restore the rom again.
One of the KL RAM functions will do it I think.
Oh, that would be extremely slow... If i can't find a better solution, I would write s simple RLE-based compression algorithm which doesen't need to read from RAM. Thst shold work at least for simple images...
--
Nilquader of SPRING

TFM

Quote from: Nilquader on 18:24, 23 October 14
Oh, that would be extremely slow... If i can't find a better solution, I would write s simple RLE-based compression algorithm which doesen't need to read from RAM. Thst shold work at least for simple images...

RLE  :o  Then better take MadRAMs CPC Turbo Cruncher, best results with a CPC ever. Compare here:

http     ://cpc-live.com/forum/index.php/topic,171.msg867.html#msg867

(Please Copy & Paste the link, this forum doesn't like comma).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

I have a few ROM games lurking in my ROM directory of WinAPE... I can't be arsed doing any more, so here are my final ROM games.
All of them GARGOYLE GAMES games. I wanted to do them all, but I've simply run out of motivation.

|SWEEVO'S WORLD, |DUNDARACH and the existing trained one-file of HEAVY ON THE |MAGICK.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Jonah (Tasteful Mr) Ship on 14:45, 31 October 14
I have a few ROM games lurking in my ROM directory of WinAPE... I can't be arsed doing any more, so here are my final ROM games.
All of them GARGOYLE GAMES games. I wanted to do them all, but I've simply run out of motivation.

|SWEEVO'S WORLD, |DUNDARACH and the existing trained one-file of HEAVY ON THE |MAGICK.
many many thanks for all your work on these. That provide an amazing gift to all x-mem / symbiface / romboard owners. Sweevos world is a great one to go out on. The is again.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:52, 31 October 14
many many thanks for all your work on these. They provide an amazing gift to all x-mem / symbiface / romboard owners. Sweevos world is a great one to go out on. Thanks again.

Craig

tastefulmrship

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:52, 31 October 14
many many thanks for all your work on these.
No problems. I was bored and converting games is easy... just like converting TERRA |COGNITA for example, on one ROM, with a new loading screen (ie not MODE 2) just for the sheer fun of it.

tastefulmrship

Actually, I just found this floating in a dodgy directory on my HD... and, I'm very surprised that this title hasn't been converted, yet!
It is, of course, the mighty |COMMANDO on 2 ROMs with STE's C64 rework title-screen.

CraigsBar

Welcome back. Commando and terra cognita will both be heading to my xmem tonight.

Nilquader

I've just came back from the Mittwintermeeting, a scene-party in Kirchen/Sieg, Germany, and made 3 game ROMs. I'm not sure if they're already converted, because we've had almost no Internet at this place.

Arkanoid 3 (Start with |ARKANOID3 or use the great "MegaFlash QuickStart")
Green Beret (Start with |BERET)
Bumpy (Start with |BUMPY)

--
Nilquader of SPRING

Gryzor

Boy how time flies. I guess people have moved over to cartridge conversions!

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:48, 21 June 15
Boy how time flies. I guess people have moved over to cartridge conversions!
Still room for both in my book.

McKlain

I wanna know how to convert roms to cartridges  :laugh:

CraigsBar

Quote from: McKlain on 14:54, 21 June 15
I wanna know how to convert roms to cartridges  [emoji23]
@arnoldemu is already on it. [emoji3]