News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Crystal Kingdom Dizzy Remake

Started by zeropolis79, 07:07, 09 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

zeropolis79

After watching a video of the Spectrum remake of this, has anyone on the CPC scene considered doing a remake of it, maybe using MODE 1..

reidrac

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 07:07, 09 September 20
After watching a video of the Spectrum remake of this, has anyone on the CPC scene considered doing a remake of it, maybe using MODE 1..

It sounds to me like a massive task!

The spectrum remake was a multi-year project involving a 3 people team, it is a labour of love. You have to be a big fan and, to be honest, I rather make new games.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: reidrac on 09:37, 09 September 20It sounds to me like a massive task! The spectrum remake was a multi-year project involving a 3 people team, it is a labour of love. You have to be a big fan and, to be honest, I rather make new games.

Add to the fact that Crystal Kingdom Dizzy was a complete turkey of a game anyway. The Spectrum remake is nice however, but the game itself still hasn't changed, the stories for each level are banal and dull and the game really only appeals to diehards.

I love the Dizzy games, but they should have stopped at Magicland, Spellbound was too large and POTY was too short. The series went to complete shit once Big Red took over.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Skunkfish

The games were still designed by the Oliver Twins even after Big Red took over development I believe?

What I would like to see is a Fantastic Dizzy Plus port, or a port of the new title for the Spectrum Next to the CPC.

Could the Plus's sprites be used for Dizzy or would the number of animation frames be a problem?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

zeropolis79

Besides Spellbound, the Olivers worked design and story on the other games.. But Big Red had nothing to do with Crystal Kingdom.

I was thinking of Fantastic Dizzy on cartridge. Should be possible to do on the Plus assuming the cartridge size is adequate.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Skunkfish on 16:13, 09 September 20
The games were still designed by the Oliver Twins even after Big Red took over development I believe?

Oh they were still on board, but I guess my point was that they'd run out of fantasy style ideas by the time Magicland was done and everything else in the series was overambitious. I'd have liked to have seen Dizzy in real life scenarious.

In other words, Dizzy at the Movies would have worked as it was a good crossover between fantasy and reality for the character. Alas.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Skunkfish

What was wrong with Seymour? I think I prefer him as a character!
I was replaying Seymour goes to Hollywood just the other day...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:40, 10 September 20
What was wrong with Seymour? I think I prefer him as a character!
I was replaying Seymour goes to Hollywood just the other day...

Absolutely nothing! Just wasn't necessary!
That was meant to be a Dizzy game but the Olivers wanted to keep Dizzy in fantasy worlds, so Seymour was born.
I just think that it would have been a more natural progression for Dizzy to bring him into a real world scenario, rather than giving us bloat like Spellbound and tripe like Crystal Kingdom. I think it would have strengthened the franchise as opposed to diluting it. Especially with some of those awful arcade games like Bubble Dizzy and Down The Rapids.

Skunkfish

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 16:28, 09 September 20I was thinking of Fantastic Dizzy on cartridge. Should be possible to do on the Plus assuming the cartridge size is adequate.

Cartridge size shouldn't be an issue for Fantastic Dizzy. The game weighs in at 512KB on the MegaDrive and an even smaller 256KB on the Master System and NES.

It might be quite an undertaking though, particularly if the 'mini-games' from the console versions were to be included.

Also, would the scrolling remain or would it switch to flip-screen as per the other CPC Dizzy games?

GUNHED

In 2020 smooth scrolling would be nice.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

andycadley

Crystal Kingdom was pretty awful and I say that as a fairly hardcore Dizzy fan back in the day. The remade Speccy version is an improvement, but it's still got all the same basic flaws of the original.

I thought about a plus dizzy game before, though having spare time these days to do any development is more of an issue than anything else. Don't think I'd want it to be Fantastic Dizzy though, I've honestly never rated It that much and it's mostly a rehash of the earlier games[size=78%]. [/size]

Scrolling is a controversial thing too, the Plus hardware would obviously make it silky smooth, but it really didn't work for me in the 16-bit versions and I tend to think the flip screen nature of Dizzy was actually something of an asset.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: andycadley on 18:51, 10 September 20
I thought about a plus dizzy game before, though having spare time these days to do any development is more of an issue than anything else. Don't think I'd want it to be Fantastic Dizzy though, I've honestly never rated It that much and it's mostly a rehash of the earlier games[size=78%]. [/size]

I actually enjoyed Fantastic Dizzy up until the mine cart sequence. That was a bloody disaster, and you NEEDED to go through the entire route in order to collect the 100 stars.

tastefulmrship

A CPC version of Dizzy (The Last Hero) would be nice to see!

GUNHED

Quote from: andycadley on 18:51, 10 September 20
Scrolling is a controversial thing too, the Plus hardware would obviously make it silky smooth, but it really didn't work for me in the 16-bit versions and I tend to think the flip screen nature of Dizzy was actually something of an asset.
Maybe you're right. I forgot the users expecataions. Sometimes games work better with static screens. However a scroll or a slide every not and then are eye candy too.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

zeropolis79

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 08:36, 11 September 20

I actually enjoyed Fantastic Dizzy up until the mine cart sequence. That was a bloody disaster, and you NEEDED to go through the entire route in order to collect the 100 stars.

I will admit that sequence for the purpose of gathering stars was a nightmare. The worse bit about it was if you ended up going the wrong way and going to an exit, you would have to go through that all over again (after getting back to the mine).

To me Crystal Kingdom is the weakest of the Dizzy games - unlike Wild West Seymour, the level structure doesn't work in Dizzy, although the Speccy remake did recitify it a little with the story screens inbetween.

I didnt mind the size of Spellbound but the most annoying thing about it was that bloody pit and going back and forth to get the rocks again and again. There were good ideas in the game but the pit and the windy shaft could have been executed a bit better.

Magic Land was quite good.. Prince of the Yolkfolk was good, it could have been a bit bigger. The NES port did add a few good bits like using the flying carpet to get items instead of being a red herring in the home computer ports.