News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Iron Lord by UBISoft

Started by zeropolis79, 22:05, 22 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

jackic

If you attach the modified file, I can point out what the error might be. I do quite a bit of work on fan translation, mostly in Spanish. https://jackicblog.blogspot.com/
I would take on this project cause it looks like an interesting one and not enough translation is being done for old computer games but I have more than I can chew already on my plate.

Gryzor

That would be really great indeed...

Now, hex-based translations... used to do that with Discology back in the day :D I remember being fed up with Basket Master's "Canasta!" exclamation!

zeropolis79

Having another go at it.. Might try Discology at some point.

||C|-|E||

With Discology I "translated" Savage eons ago... I remember that pretty well. Sadly, I was also 9 by that time and my "translation" was mostly a bunch of stupid jokes in Spanish  :picard2: :picard2: I was so proud of that...

zeropolis79

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 18:51, 24 November 19
With Discology I "translated" Savage eons ago... I remember that pretty well. Sadly, I was also 9 by that time and my "translation" was mostly a bunch of stupid jokes in Spanish  :picard2: :picard2: I was so proud of that...
Well, if you can do Savage with Discology, it'll be worth trying it witih Iron Lord.. Thanks

jackic

Ok, ok, let the spanish guy translate the french game into english... XP
I will keep working on this for a while, I might even finish it BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) I will not TEST IT, I will need someone familiar with the game to do it for me and make sure the game is finishable.

There's some text that seems to be formed by graphics and I won't be able to modify, like the archery tournament greeting, things that won't be perfect as some parts of the script are reused in more than one text and there's the thing that some of the initial letters of some text (like the sorcerer-herborist menu) that are, again, made in graphics and can't be changed so I have to do with what is provided.

zeropolis79

I can do the testing as I've played other versions...

Thanks

ComSoft6128

If any of the graphics are stored as standard 17K screens (and there are not too many!) I could have a look at modifying them using the Advanced Art Studio - the AAS also has an option in the filing menu to save/load compressed screens. Mmm......
Cheers,

Peter

jackic

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 05:55, 28 November 19
If any of the graphics are stored as standard 17K screens (and there are not too many!) I could have a look at modifying them using the Advanced Art Studio - the AAS also has an option in the filing menu to save/load compressed screens. Mmm......
Cheers,

Peter
If you want to try and find it, be my guest, I guess it has to be on disk 4 as it is the one on the drive while this screen loads, this is what we are looking for:

Keep in mind that I am nor REALLY SURE that it is stored as graphics, I am GUESSING as I can not find that text anywhere on the 4 discs unless it is compressed, but I don't think so as all the other text I found is in plain format.
Thanks everyone.

zeropolis79

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 05:55, 28 November 19
Cheers,

Peter
Sounds like this would be a great group project.. I'm taking a look at the text in Discology too myself..

ComSoft6128

I'm glad to give any help that I can but unfortunately my PC and CPC don't speak to each other.
@zeropolis79 any chance that you could send me a copy of side 4 to look at?
The Advanced Art Studio could also save smaller areas of the 17K screen ("windows") so possibly the screen shown by @jackic is composed of them - either 3 or 7 or indeed could(!) be a full 17K screen.

If its a full screen (or the smaller windows) the AAS came with a gothic type font that should do the job.

Cheers,

Peter

Update - found this which may be of interest:

https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/1029311/iron_lord_amstrad

And this Spectrum walkthrough obviously in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-8ftVgAqc

zeropolis79

If you PM me an e-mail address Comsoft, I'll send you Side 4 to look at. Thanks.

ComSoft6128

MiguelSky

Quote from: jackic on 21:19, 27 November 19
Ok, ok, let the spanish guy translate the french game into english... XP
Hey, Jackic, take advantage of the work done and also create a Spanish version!

jackic

Quote from: MiguelSky on 19:59, 29 November 19
Hey, Jackic, take advantage of the work done and also create a Spanish version!
I would if anyone could modify the font to give me proper punctuation (áéíóú¿?¡!ñ), I really do not want to do a sloppy job with this one, but there isn't even proper punctuation on the french one... but, the font is more than enough to do a mostly correct english localization.

robcfg

Most spanish games didn't have proper punctuation either, probably due to memory constraints.

So that's no excuse to make a spanish translation  ;)

Come on! Don Quijote has no proper punctuation!

MiguelSky

According your .tbl file there are 11 punctuation characters including colon, semicolon... We could use both letters and chars not used as accented vowels but I think there are not enough available chars.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: robcfg on 23:31, 29 November 19
Most spanish games didn't have proper punctuation either, probably due to memory constraints.

So that's no excuse to make a spanish translation  ;)

Haha, certainly not many adventures in Spanish had it, many of them just to be able to use the standard firmware  :D It is also true that memory constraints can be more serious when it comes to a language like ours or French, particularly if you are trying to squeeze as many contents as possible in an adventure or RPG.

jackic

Quote from: robcfg on 23:31, 29 November 19
Well, it was not ME who made that game's script  ;)
Quote from: MiguelSky on 23:32, 29 November 19
According your .tbl file there are 11 punctuation characters including colon, semicolon... We could use both letters and chars not used as accented vowels but I think there are not enough available chars.
I mean tilde and opening signs for exclamatives / interrogatives
¿Sabes a qué me refiero? ¡Seguro que sí!  :D
I have actually translated one of my favourite games on the cpc into Spanish, Nightbreed, but due to not having those features, I did not release it.

MiguelSky

Quote from: jackic on 00:23, 30 November 19¿Sabes a qué me refiero? ¡Seguro que sí!  :D
¡Claro! pero entre las cinco vocales con acento, las cuatro admiraciones/interrogaciones, coma, punto y espacio, ¡nos pasamos por una! No se si quedará alguna consonante sin usarse, la equis o algo de eso, pero también necesitaremos seguramente una eñe...

jackic

Quote from: MiguelSky on 00:35, 30 November 19
¡Claro! pero entre las cinco vocales con acento, las cuatro admiraciones/interrogaciones, coma, punto y espacio, ¡nos pasamos por una! No se si quedará alguna consonante sin usarse, la equis o algo de eso, pero también necesitaremos seguramente una eñe...
IF graphics can be modified, it would be no problem as there are quite a few useless letters and symbols for the spanish languaje 'kKwWxX those ones, unless you need them for names, can be replaced but what we need. But, alas, graphics seem to be compressed and it is way beyond my skill to work with.

jackic

This is another of those screens whose text I can't locate, thinking about it, I am guessing that there is not a full font for this text in memory and it only contains the letters needed for this text, I poked the memory with tie "find graphics" option in winape to no avail as there doesn't seem to be uncompressed graphics for this particular screen, so a relative search for text can not be used to locate where this particular text is stored.

The text in the game is not really as long as I thought so maybe I will also do a Spanish one.
Quick edit:
So, I just realized that the text that I can't find is indeed a compressed graphics screen:

All letters have a unique background that seems to indicate that it is a full image that loads into memory.

jackic

Just noticed, the Amstrad CPC Wizard seems to be a more demure person than his Speccy counterpart XP:

GUNHED

Some guys (like me, but others too) have problems to read black letters on dark red (3), maybe this could be changed to a more bright color. Would be great!  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

jackic

In this particular case, just emulating a green screen monitor would be helpful.