News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How many of CNGSoft's compactages can you fit on a blank tape?

Started by Shaun M. Neary, 13:22, 18 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

tjohnson

Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, I've been trying to put breaking baud demo onto a physical tape but just can't get it to play back and load.  Is there a way to reduce the baud rate?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:04, 06 November 20
Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, I've been trying to put breaking baud demo onto a physical tape but just can't get it to play back and load.  Is there a way to reduce the baud rate?
You need to be quite accurate when it comes to volume adjustment when recording that.
You *could* convert the cdt to wav and lower the pitch in an audio editor such as Audacity, but it would defeat the purpose of it to begin with.

@Craigsbar Wanna weigh in here, Breaking Baud king? :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:11, 07 November 20
You need to be quite accurate when it comes to volume adjustment when recording that.
You *could* convert the cdt to wav and lower the pitch in an audio editor such as Audacity, but it would defeat the purpose of it to begin with.

@Craigsbar Wanna weigh in here, Breaking Baud king? :)
I've tried quite a few decks without luck.  I've given up trying now tbh.  The annoying thing is it loads 100% using an cassette adapter so the recording must be sufficiently degraded when saved to tape to not work.  Tried different tapes too, normal and chrome.

Shaun M. Neary

Never use chrome tapes for games. They end up adding distortion and screwing up the tone.

They were great for music but complete rubbish for data.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:34, 07 November 20
Never use chrome tapes for games. They end up adding distortion and screwing up the tone.

They were great for music but complete rubbish for data.
I tried just in case. but I wouldn't ordinarily if nothing else because they are much rarer and expensive now and a waste for data

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 09:40, 10 November 20
I tried just in case. but I wouldn't ordinarily if nothing else because they are much rarer and expensive now and a waste for data

I just thought of something. When you're recording BB over from PC to tape recorder, are you using a stereo or mono cable?
I know the Spectrums don't like stereo cables, Amstrads generally aren't that fussy, but this is BB we're talking about.

Try recording a regular game first and see if you run into issues?

tjohnson

I found one of those USB Bush tape decks locally for sale.  Sorry to say but the one I got is truely awful, terrible build quality, I opened it up and had a look, I don't think it could be worse made if they tried,

I managed to record BB onto a tape from USB and it started to load on my other machine but failed fairly early on.  I couldn't even get the loader to start from this pile.  Even the earphone socket is suck poor quality that removing the connector often leaves it shorted so the internal speaker doesn't work until poking the socket.  I'll be selling it on, my other one is an Alba probably from the 1990s which is about 100x better made.
Sorry just a warning to anyone looking to buy a shoebox, avoid this!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 11:41, 11 November 20
I found one of those USB Bush tape decks locally for sale.  Sorry to say but the one I got is truely awful, terrible build quality, I opened it up and had a look, I don't think it could be worse made if they tried,

I managed to record BB onto a tape from USB and it started to load on my other machine but failed fairly early on.  I couldn't even get the loader to start from this pile.  Even the earphone socket is suck poor quality that removing the connector often leaves it shorted so the internal speaker doesn't work until poking the socket.  I'll be selling it on, my other one is an Alba probably from the 1990s which is about 100x better made.
Sorry just a warning to anyone looking to buy a shoebox, avoid this!

What were you expecting for 25 quid to be honest?
I've never had a load fail from anything I recorded from it. You sure the alignment on your machine isn't off a bit?

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 13:26, 11 November 20

What were you expecting for 25 quid to be honest?
I've never had a load fail from anything I recorded from it. You sure the alignment on your machine isn't off a bit?
I didn't even pay £25 and I was still dissappointed.  Argos retail these at £30 but feels like the sort of thing you would find on a market stall not in a retail shop, just feels very poor quality and not something fit to be sold in a shop like Argos and would rather pay more and get something that's well built and will last.  I haven't played around with it much but will do by the way I'm not having a go about it just feel that what would be deemed acceptable quality has gone down alot!

Shaun M. Neary

For expectations, that's you getting old, I'm afraid.  ;) :laugh:

Truth of the matter is tape recording these days is a novelty, and will be treated like a toy. So it'll be made out of cheap parts and sold at a cheap price, usually to target the beardy hipster brigade. I won't argue the build quality of it, but it actually does what it does quite well. I've made about 30 odd tapes with the thing!

So I'm guessing you either got a dodgy one, or your alignment might be slightly off. I doubt it's the tapes. I recorded onto a used tape from 1997 and it still worked fine. :)