News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Jewel Warehouse (new game)

Started by EgoTrip, 23:26, 25 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

I've updated the OP with a bug fixed version. There is no tape. I just spent over an hour trying to make one and it wont work so I can't be bothered. Its this computer, for some reason it keeps adding loads of fucked up interference.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:09, 27 May 16
There is no tape. I just spent over an hour trying to make one and it wont work so I can't be bothered. Its this computer, for some reason it keeps adding loads of fucked up interference.
Here's a quick .cdt that works fine on WinAPE, but I do not have a tape deck connected to my 6128 to test on real hardware.

Phantomz

@EgoTrip

Is it ok to upload the cpr ? I've made it stop on your loading screen, pass with space bar or joystick.  ;)

khaz

I played up to the level 10 so far, cool game! The platforms-and-ladders is giving me Lode Runner vibes, albeit with more strategic planning to race against the clock.

couple of things:
- run"disk instead of run"disc?
- the level select should loop
- maybe only access the level already beaten + the next one? (make the full level select as a cheat code instead)

since it's a time attack game, I suggest either:
- the countdown and level animation to start at the first input instead of the fade in
- have a big 3, 2, 1 countdown somewhere if you don't want to allow the player too much initial planning
(I like the first option better, plus it's probably easier to implement)

Progress isn't saved :(

Phantomz

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 19:48, 27 May 16
Here's a quick .cdt that works fine on WinAPE, but I do not have a tape deck connected to my 6128 to test on real hardware.

The cdt works great on my 6128, I used the Tap Dancer app on a Samsung Galaxy S5 to test it out.  8)

I've also converted the cdt to mp3, not that mp3 is really needed now you can use cdt on real hardware.  ;D

Bytebreaker

@ Ego Trip

Really great stuff!
In which programming language did you realize this project? Assembler only? I read about ways to code in C for the CPC.
How long did it take to develop it? I've been on your website and could see that you are an experienced retro game coder.

EgoTrip

@Bytebreaker it was done in C using CPCtelera. Took me a few months, I had a lot of the routines from a previous project and the DS version a lot of the code was easy enough to port over.

@Phantomz feel free to upload the CPR. I made the controls GX friendly in case anyone converted it. Well, except quitting the game.

@Khaz thanks for the suggestions, but the game is finished. No it doesn't save scores. There are no file handling routines in CPCtelera and I have firmware disabled.

@Sutekh/Epyteor thanks for the cdt.

Phantomz

Quote from: EgoTrip on 00:53, 30 May 16
@Phantomz feel free to upload the CPR. I made the controls GX friendly in case anyone converted it. Well, except quitting the game.

@EgoTrip Cool, thanks  :D

I've made it stop on your loading screen as it flashed past to quick if I didn't stop it.

Press the Space Bar or use the Joystick to pass the loading screen:)

I could upload a different version for the GX4000 in the converted cpr thread, where you can pause with Joypad Button 2 and quit with the console pause button if that's ok too?

Anyway, here is " Jewel Warehouse v1.1.cpr " with no changes apart from stopping on the loading screen.  :)

TFM

Can the results for the level be saved somehow? If not, it should be only a minor issue to add that.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

EgoTrip

Quote from: Phantomz on 15:29, 30 May 16
@EgoTrip Cool, thanks  :D

I've made it stop on your loading screen as it flashed past to quick if I didn't stop it.

Press the Space Bar or use the Joystick to pass the loading screen:)

I could upload a different version for the GX4000 in the converted cpr thread, where you can pause with Joypad Button 2 and quit with the console pause button if that's ok too?

Anyway, here is " Jewel Warehouse v1.1.cpr " with no changes apart from stopping on the loading screen.  :)

Give me a bit of time, and I'll do a GX version for you to convert. I'll change the pause and quit controls.

Phantomz

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:37, 30 May 16
Give me a bit of time, and I'll do a GX version for you to convert. I'll change the pause and quit controls.

@EgoTrip

No problem, I've already got it on my GX4000 with the changes ( Joypad 1 Button 2 = Pause, Console Pause Button = Quit )  ;D 

So I could upload it, just wanted to check if that's ok with you.  ;)

khaz

Quote from: EgoTrip on 00:53, 30 May 16@Khaz thanks for the suggestions, but the game is finished.

Aw :(. Were Were they even suggestions that you would have considered earlier in the development, or were they simply not part of your vision for the game?

chinnyhill10

Rather than post this in the videos thread, I thought it more appropriate to put it here. I've gone and done a review:

Hopefully that will raise some awareness outside the community of a rather terrific new CPC game.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

Thanks for the review, and for the exposure.

Now I really wish I sat on it for the #cpcretrodev contest. I'm an idiot. :picard2: I could have probably got 3rd prize with this game, as well as probably getting some additional music done for it.

Oh well, I'm slowly working on the next game, hopefully it will be better than this one.

Puresox

Quote from: EgoTrip on 13:33, 03 June 16
Thanks for the review, and for the exposure.

Now I really wish I sat on it for the #cpcretrodev contest. I'm an idiot. :picard2: I could have probably got 3rd prize with this game, as well as probably getting some additional music done for it.

Oh well, I'm slowly working on the next game, hopefully it will be better than this one.

You know you could release it as a  Jewel warehouse Plus/Diamond Edition , with enhanced something or other . Sure there's some loop hole  ;D

EgoTrip

I doubt the judges would let it go through even if I did that. If I do something for the contest it will be something new. That's a bit if though because I'm really struggling to come up with any ideas that will be competitive.

Puresox

Why don't you develop a box copy so people can Spend there gratitude?

It would be nice to think you got something for keeping the scene alive , especially when things are quiet. At the very least may encourage more development

Puresox

[/size]Why don't you develop a box copy so people can Spend there gratitude?

It would be nice to think you got something for keeping the scene alive , especially when things are quiet. At the very least may encourage more development

Puresox

My previous posts said about releasing as a boxed edition so you can get some reward ,Moderators are you messing with my posts , or is the forum screwed .

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 19:02, 03 June 16
My previous posts said about releasing as a boxed edition so you can get some reward ,Moderators are you messing with my posts , or is the forum screwed .

That's your browser. Therefore the forum does provide the A->A icno (2nd last), it deletes not needed formatting. If moderators would do it, it would look different.  8)
TFM of FutureSoft

Puresox

Quote from: TFM on 19:48, 03 June 16

That's your browser. Therefore the forum does provide the A->A icno (2nd last), it deletes not needed formatting. If moderators would do it, it would look different.  8)
Not entirely following you , but thanks for letting us know. I think it does it when I modify , changes the size, Puts all dashes or moves things around ..

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 19:58, 03 June 16
Not entirely following you , but thanks for letting us know. I think it does it when I modify , changes the size, Puts all dashes or moves things around ..

Yes, right! And Chrome is doing it anyways. Got the same problem here. That icon became a good friend.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

GiorVam

Hi guys!! I'm new here but i'm an amtrad's fun. I don't know about pogramms but i know how to play games :) . I am from Greece so excuse any mistake in english language. I really like this game and i spend lot of hours on it. Here is a video with all jewels collected in time that i made. I didn't want to bore you watching the levels again and again until i succeed, so I made a video with the only successful attempt in every level. I hope you enjoy it!!

[/url]

Skunkfish

Looks like great fun, I love the graphics and the good use of palette changes between levels. Will try at the weekend if my Plus is still working and I can find a way to get it across!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)