News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Just Get 9 has just been published!

Started by cpcitor, 00:00, 12 December 21

Previous topic - Next topic

cpcitor

Hi!

Just Get 9 has just been published!

### What is this?

A tile-based puzzle game for the Amstrad CPC. If you like 2048, tetris, coloris, color flood, you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUqWOJezqA

### How to see it?

You can visit https://cpcitor.itch.io/just-get-9 which includes a trailer video, and:

* one-click play in-browser
* download zip, play on your favorite emulator
* zip contains disc image, tape images and even audio files for easy transfer to a real CPC

### Tell me more!

The beta version was awarded in CPC GAMEDEV CONTEST 2020 in Facebook group "Amstrad CPC pour toujours and beyond !".  The final version is enhanced in many aspects for your gaming pleasure.

* a gameplay based on alignment of tiles, which changes when tiles disappear, letting new ones fall and fill the gaps
* rich dynamics making gameplay entertaining as you progress in skills
* play with joystick or keyboard (arrows, qaop)
* a big colorful playfield (vertical overscan 256x256 instead of the normal 320x200)
* animation at solid 50Hz
* music
* digitized speech!
* a few bells and whistles to be discovered...

Direct credits (see more credits below):

* project, coding, text, video, by cpcitor
* music by The Other Days

Edit: added trailer video
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

eto

Amazing puzzler :-) it really gets you addicted - Played until I fell asleep and immediately started this morning again.

Two things I recognized:
- at least on Chrome, when the emulator loses focus, I can't get back into the game. Any key press will have effect on the website (e.g. space scrolls down), but will no longer be recognised in the game. I am locked out then.
- Maybe I was already tired, but it took me quite some time to find how I can start the game. "PLAYGRID" simply didn't ring a bell, that this might be "start/play"...

Very well done!

roudoudou

great achievement, the game is cool and fast
a little cons => sometimes messages are hidding digits of the game and visibility is reduced

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

cpcitor

Quote from: eto on 09:09, 12 December 21
Amazing puzzler :-) it really gets you addicted - Played until I fell asleep and immediately started this morning again.

Two things I recognized:

> - at least on Chrome, when the emulator loses focus, I can't get back into the game. Any key press will have effect on the website (e.g. space scrolls down), but will no longer be recognised in the game. I am locked out then.

Ah, the joy of web-based emulation. ;-).
Thanks to your hint, I reproduced this in Firefox/Linux and found a workaround:
* if you set full-screen, exit it with esc
* below the emulation frame, there is a title "A tile-based puzzle game...". Click it then press shift-tab.
=> Now the emulator has focus again and you can continue playing.
Can you confirm this works?

Quote from: eto on 09:09, 12 December 21
> - Maybe I was already tired, but it took me quite some time to find how I can start the game. "PLAYGRID" simply didn't ring a bell, that this might be "start/play"...

Thank you for this feedback. A friend that tested it suggested the same. I labeled it this way because when the game is over this button can be used to see the grid again (say, to think again your last moves, take a screenshot, whatever). One solution could be to change the label in this case.

Quote from: roudoudou on 10:08, 12 December 21
great achievement, the game is cool and fast

So are you, too, to post a screenshot of your victory so quickly!  :)

Quote from: roudoudou on 10:08, 12 December 21
a little cons => sometimes messages are hidding digits of the game and visibility is reduced

Ah, yes I can fade the background there for better contrast of the test. Good catch roudoudou!
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

eto

Quote from: cpcitor on 10:33, 12 December 21Can you confirm this works?

On Firefox (Mac) yes, but not on Chrome.

btw: is there an end for combinations? I managed to reach the "J" but then I was not concentrated for a move and I just did not make it to combine two Js... would have been interesting if it continues...

oh... and maybe a "time" highscore would be awesome. the faster the better?

cpcitor

Quote from: eto on 21:34, 12 December 21
On Firefox (Mac) yes, but not on Chrome.

You mean on Chrome this does not fix the focus issue?

Mmh, basically it's a web-related issue affecting the emulator that should be dealt at the emulator level.

I'll try to do something.
So far, let's say I recommend running a local emulator. ;-)

btw: is there an end for combinations? I managed to reach the "J" but then I was not concentrated for a move and I just did not make it to combine two Js... would have been interesting if it continues...

You can continue. My guess is the limit is the game duration. An interesting fact is: if you follow the method showed by the recorded demo game, you can relatively easily reach 9, but to consistently reach J (value 10) and levels beyond, you need... "stronger skills". I definitely reached "U" (value 11), not sure I ever reached "S". Beware, though, time needed is exponential, so don't get stuck playing for too long. You're a responsible adult, right?

oh... and maybe a "time" highscore would be awesome. the faster the better?

I think it is a fundamentally good idea, yet complex to implement correctly. It would be "time (or moves count) to reach nth level", with n=9 for the "main" score. How to rate game where the player only reaches a lower value? One then need a n-dimension score with n the highest reached value.
Then how to sort this? Is a game when one reached 9 after a very long time and many moves better than a game which reached 8 in a record like shortest number of moves and quicker time?
I think this can be sorted out but this is complex.
Something simpler would be remembering and displaying the time and move count for each level reached. That makes 10+ numbers per game, would it help you track a progression?

(Also, the CPC464 memory is already nearly full. Some things can be done to cram more in the prod, but this implies fundamental changes and costs time.)

Still, thanks for suggesting, I'll remember for the next game/prod.

eto

cpcitor

Updated the prod to "patch 1".

Here's a changelog:

* When you reach 9 (or higher), the background of the "you win" text is now darkened for more readability. (Thanks @roudoudou for noticing the reduced readability.)
* The button to start playing is not longer labeled "PLAYGRID" but "PLAY", or "GRID" when game is over.  (Indeed you can see and study the grid as will, after game is over before starting a new game.) (Thanks Didier, @eto, @Logiker for reporting the wish to change wording.)
* Fix broken link in this very README file. (Thanks to Nicholas Campbell from cpcgamereviews.com for reporting.)
* Add section about copying.

The in-browser-playable version on https://cpcitor.itch.io/just-get-9 as well as the downloadable zip https://cpcitor.itch.io/just-get-9#download are updated.

You can recognize the zip as the _p1 suffix was added, and the prod as the PLAY button is labeller PLAY, not PLAYGRID.

arnolde

Congratulations, this game is really fun and addictive!
And of course, very impressively programmed!

eto

Quote from: cpcitor on 22:13, 12 December 21I think it is a fundamentally good idea, yet complex to implement correctly. It would be "time (or moves count) to reach nth level", with n=9 for the "main" score. How to rate game where the player only reaches a lower value? One then need a n-dimension score with n the highest reached value.
Then how to sort this? Is a game when one reached 9 after a very long time and many moves better than a game which reached 8 in a record like shortest number of moves and quicker time?
I think this can be sorted out but this is complex.

I totally get your point and I really don't want to look like I am demanding it. It's more that I think that this game is an absolute gem and I saw that there would be something, that would make it even more amazing for me. I played for some time yesterday and every now and then I recognised, that it could become something that gets even more challenging, if you are doing it fast without thinking too much. Then seeing that I become better, might be more motivating to give it another try.

Maybe it's not even required to track a high score, but when a game reaches 9, J,U,... you could output the number of moves and time spent on the screen and if people share the screenshots, they can see, how long it took others to reach the same level. Or just for myself to get that "ha, broke my own record" feeling.

But the game is already great as it is. No need to change anything. (Even my kids were sitting next to me and were totally fascinated!)

BSC

Quote from: cpcitor on 00:00, 12 December 21Just Get 9 has just been published!

That's a highly addictive game and a toughie as well. Well done, cpcitor and team!
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

ralferoo

Wow, just a nice game. I must admit I got pretty bored of 2048 after about 10 minutes when I worked out the strategy, but loved this as choosing which tile receives the resulting tile makes all the difference in the strategy. My only criticism is that it wasn't obvious how this mechanism worked from the introduction, so it maybe needs an extra one-line comment in the instructions to make that clear. I originally thought I was only supposed to be matching pairs (but it is much cooler this way!)...

eto

Is there a way to start from scratch again? I just made a super dumb mistake and wanted to start over but when I leave with ESC and press play again, I end up at the exact same point in the game, where I left.

That's nice if you accidentally hit ESC but what do I do, if I really want to start over?

cpcitor

Quote from: ralferoo on 10:25, 14 December 21
Wow, just a nice game. I must admit I got pretty bored of 2048 after about 10 minutes when I worked out the strategy, but loved this as choosing which tile receives the resulting tile makes all the difference in the strategy. My only criticism is that it wasn't obvious how this mechanism worked from the introduction, so it maybe needs an extra one-line comment in the instructions to make that clear. I originally thought I was only supposed to be matching pairs (but it is much cooler this way!)...

Thank you for your feedback.

First, remember that I did not invent the game, only implemented it from scratch for the CPC. You can see in the title page "original game design by weevo".

Right after publishing the beta a long time ago I made a detailed interactive introduction asking you to play, explaining what happens, in about 5 steps, accompanying you in your first two moves. Like in the image below.

And then I thought "this complicated introduction only sends a signal that the game must be complicated".
So, I looked how Android apps implementing the game did, and they usually had a very simple one-page tutorial.

I asked to myself. What is the simplest thing to do? If I put no tutorial, some people are stuck. So I need a tutorial. What if I put the simplest tutorial? If the player is not stuck, is that enough? Is it worth doing a complicated tutorial?

So, yes you may be surprised the first time that it collapses not pairs but whole domains, yet the important thing is that you are not stuck. I chose that compromise.

Quote from: eto on 12:00, 14 December 21
Is there a way to start from scratch again? I just made a super dumb mistake and wanted to start over but when I leave with ESC and press play again, I end up at the exact same point in the game, where I left.

That's nice if you accidentally hit ESC but what do I do, if I really want to start over?

Hehe, I agree with you about wishing for a better way to abort the game.

ESC goes to the in-game menu. The in-game menu allows to change your level (whether you get hint messages in some situations, and faded tiles to hint you about where you can or cannot play), toggle music and sound on or off, change palette, see credits or title.  Then back to your game.

Still, it is possible to abort a game. Press esc, press the "Demo" button, then you're warned that watching the demo clears your current game. When the demo stops (you can press any key for instant stop) you can press PLAY again.

I could e.g. turn the "Demo" button into "Abort" when there is a running game.

ralferoo

I think this is the first game I've played to completion in years! Very nice, great music and art! Enjoyed every minute of the last few hours! :D

I got to 8 a number of times, and then realised I was spending too much time building long chains and not enough thinking about my strategy!

ralferoo

Quote from: cpcitor on 13:32, 14 December 21First, remember that I did not invent the game, only implemented it from scratch for the CPC. You can see in the title page "original game design by weevo".

Ah, I didn't notice that and I've never seen this game idea before, even though things like 2048 are everywhere! I was even going to ask if you'd mind if I did a mobile version, but you already mentioned there's an android version, so I guess there's no need! :D

Anyway, I love it! Great work!

CraigsBar

This is a brilliant little puzzle game. I've got to 8 twice on 'Beginner' But that 8 seems elusive.

I love it!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:41, 15 December 21
This is a brilliant little puzzle game. I've got to 8 twice on 'Beginner' But that 8 seems elusive.

I love it!

Just to add it runs perfectly from a 'X-Mass' too

CraigsBar

eto

I played it in my personal "time trial" mode, basically measuring the time it takes me to beat it with a stopwatch.

After playing a couple of rounds and understanding the strategies that work better, I just reached my personal best of getting to 9 in just about 5:50minutes (a bit less as I started/stopped the stopwatch manually).

Not sure if I want to beat that again ;-)

ralferoo

I discovered it doesn't stop at 9! :D

cpcitor

Quote from: ralferoo on 21:44, 15 December 21
I discovered it doesn't stop at 9! :D

Wow, impressive bottom line 9 U 8 J 8 !

As you can imagine, I played a number of hours during the elaboration of the game.
Still, I got to "U" several times, but not even sure I reached higher.

At each higher level the grid feels smaller, and it is much longer to reach.

cpcitor

Quote from: eto on 12:00, 14 December 21

I wrote a patch and have a local build where the "Demo" button changes to "QUIT" when a game is ongoing, and does just this after asking confirmation.

cpcitor

Quote from: eto on 09:39, 13 December 21
I totally get your point and I really don't want to look like I am demanding it. It's more that I think that this game is an absolute gem and I saw that there would be something, that would make it even more amazing for me. I played for some time yesterday and every now and then I recognised, that it could become something that gets even more challenging, if you are doing it fast without thinking too much. Then seeing that I become better, might be more motivating to give it another try.

Maybe it's not even required to track a high score, but when a game reaches 9, J,U,... you could output the number of moves and time spent on the screen and if people share the screenshots, they can see, how long it took others to reach the same level. Or just for myself to get that "ha, broke my own record" feeling.

But the game is already great as it is. No need to change anything. (Even my kids were sitting next to me and were totally fascinated!)

Yes, you're right. No need to record a set of game stats and sort them. Just displaying values for screenshots is nice enough.
Thinking of doing this.

genesis8

First game, I went to 6 and lost.
BUT hearing the music for the end of a game is worth it.

A really nice game, here I go for my next game.

Maybe I will write something else in 2021, maybe not due do Just Get 9 !