News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Roland Goes Digging: General discussion

Started by Manos, 23:34, 04 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Manos

This is one of the first games that I ever played, in 1988, when I first got my Amstrad CPC 6128.

I was always playing it with a joystick because the keyboard controls were a mess. AZ for up-down and L; as left-right. Also, on PC you can't play it on a Caprice Forever emulator. You should use a WinCPC instead! In the Caprice Forever emulator, Roland does not go left.

Fun fact: It took me almost 30 years to realize that Roland could kill the red aliens by digging two holes! I was so dump when I was 5 to realize that I had to look for the instructions which were in-game.

So Roland was something like an unnoficial mascot for Amstrad, right? Can I speak with any of the original game developers? Does anyone have their details in the social media?

Thank you.

AMSDOS

Sorry, I don't have the answers to your questions, though just the other month, I finally worked out how to play Roland on the Run. To make matters worse, I was an adult when I started playing it 20 years ago and only now the serious error I made was not perservere and quickly dismiss as a piece of rubbish and give it 0 like CPCReviews.
Unlike Roland Goes Digging, Roland on the Run is played only with Keyboard, there's Skill Levels though the Lowest setting seems to be the only playable setting because the next setting Traffic will Speed up quickly and slow down which doesn't happen on the lowest setting, though I couldn't seem to tell the difference from the 2 level setting to the hardest level setting. You can of course use the Train Roland Appears from to adjust speed, though from players perspective it's difficult to tell because everything moves so fast, though it maybe flaw from this game which was hacked, there's other things going on like some corrupt graphics on one of the trucks in the second lane of traffic, though it maybe part of the game since Roland seems to die when trying to jump from the 1st lane to the 2nd lane with the dodgy truck.

What I didn't realize with Roland on the Run is when Roland jumps from the Train to the 1st lane of traffic, you then have another Roland appear on the Train and you have to get them to another spot, if the spot is occupied you lose a life and then eventually the 1st Roland you Move lights up (flashing), so that's your chance to get them to the 2nd Lane of traffic and so on, but when each Roland lights up any other Roland onscreen is simply visible and unflashing, which it sort of where some of the confusion is since I normally used to playing games where you move your character around the screen and I guess having Roland in the title, it would tend to suggest that you're playing a single character rather than a bunch of Rolands!  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3